I'm kind of appalled...

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this. But my daughter is Asperger's and you almost have to compromise on many issues... food being one of them.

And may I also add that I eat M&M's almost daily, I'm completely healthy and lost 90 lbs doing it.

However, the OP's complaint was that this child's lunch was all junk food, and that's not moderation either.

I'm not a fan of 'Just throw candy in the lunch box' either, to be sure. I don't have an issue with the OP being scandalized (I mean I think it's silly but whatever) I'm just (dare I say) appalled at all of the "Eat this or nothing at all" sentiment being expressed.
  • Achrya
    Options
    You didn't say this:
    To all the "picky eater" comments. Are you for real? Sorry. Hate to sound like this, but back in my day.. you ate what was made or you didn't have anything at all. I feel like parents are more "soft" today then they were back then.

OMFG... yes, I said that. It was a comment on how things went for me, personally, as a child and how I grew up just fine. I never said every parent should adopt this rule. It was also my opinion that parent's seem more soft today then they were back then.

So you're saying you said that , but you don't support it/think it's something people should adopt. So you're not actually all "Are you for Real!!" about it, but rather sharing an amusing anecdote about your own childhood and actions that, honestly, are probably awful when you get down to brass tacks.

Well that's fine. But I didn't put words in your mouth, you simply didn't mention that "While I am telling this story and using myself as an example of why it works/why parents are soft these days, Don't take that to mean I support this!"
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You didn't say this:
    To all the "picky eater" comments. Are you for real? Sorry. Hate to sound like this, but back in my day.. you ate what was made or you didn't have anything at all. I feel like parents are more "soft" today then they were back then.

OMFG... yes, I said that. It was a comment on how things went for me, personally, as a child and how I grew up just fine. I never said every parent should adopt this rule. It was also my opinion that parent's seem more soft today then they were back then.

So you're saying you said that , but you don't support it/think it's something people should adopt. So you're not actually all "Are you for Real!!" about it, but rather sharing an amusing anecdote about your own childhood and actions that, honestly, are probably awful when you get down to brass tacks.

Well that's fine. But I didn't put words in your mouth, you simply didn't mention that "While I am telling this story and using myself as an example of why it works/why parents are soft these days, Don't take that to mean I support this!"

I didn't think my post was that hard to understand. I'm sorry you're having trouble. What I said was a nod to the past (I guess mine specifically) and how parent's nowadays ought to try harder. If this little girl is getting a sugar lunch because she is "picky" it is unacceptable. End of story.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this. But my daughter is Asperger's and you almost have to compromise on many issues... food being one of them.

And may I also add that I eat M&M's almost daily, I'm completely healthy and lost 90 lbs doing it.

However, the OP's complaint was that this child's lunch was all junk food, and that's not moderation either.

I'm not a fan of 'Just throw candy in the lunch box' either, to be sure. I don't have an issue with the OP being scandalized (I mean I think it's silly but whatever) I'm just (dare I say) appalled at all of the "Eat this or nothing at all" sentiment being expressed.

I don't really give my kids candy... they get fruit snacks or cereal bars, occassionally a snack cake. I'm just saying that I eat candy every day myself. There is nothing wrong with that.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Wow, 12 pages and still goin' strong! Niiiceee!

So here's my 0.02.

My nephew is a SUPER picky eater. His teachers last year wanted his mom (my sister) to put him on medication because he was soooo disruptive in the classroom. Btw, my sister doesn't like to cook and I've seen my nephew straight up turn down roasted chicken and request chicken nuggets fr McD's.

ANYHOW, my sister didn't like the sound of putting her child on medication and made a couple trips to the dr. The dr was reluctant to NOT put my nephew on meds because he was exhibiting all the common traits of ADHD. He tells my sister to start giving Isaiah Cod Liver Oil. After a few days of him taking Cod Liver Oil - guess what? He's not being disruptive, particpating in class, etc.. (Btw he was in 1st grade when this happened).

Poor guys wasn't getting all his omega's! There's a reason you want them to eat a well-rounded meal, you can't eat chicken nuggets & junk food 24/7 and function at your maximum potential.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Soooo.... How's everyone doin? We all OK? Blood pressure stabilized? M&Ms acquired?

so far so good, going to grab some pre-logged Pop Corners for the rest of the show...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7845c3sGp1rrizak.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Soooo.... How's everyone doin? We all OK? Blood pressure stabilized? M&Ms acquired?

so far so good, going to grab some pre-logged Pop Corners for the rest of the show...

I've got pop chips and diet coke... feel free to judge :)
  • karylee46
    karylee46 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    well, my kids would live off snacks if possible.

their lunch consists of .. sandwitch (or other hot food..leftover), water, juice, a fruit, a dairy (cheese, yogurt), then they are allowed to pick two snacks from the cabinet (all portioned out by me). they get alot of food.. but they are in school from 745 to 340 and the twins in school untill 540, lucky for us.. the school.. a public charter.. also offers a "snack cart" available twice a day in the hall way for any child to take food off of.. they offer, apples, raisins, carrots, pretzel, cheese, celery.. etc.. these kids have a long day and the school feels that they should be fueled for the day with good foods.
  • Achrya
    Options

I don't really give my kids candy... they get fruit snacks or cereal bars, occassionally a snack cake. I'm just saying that I eat candy every day myself. There is nothing wrong with that.

Sure isn't. I enjoy a diet full of sweets, and I'll give that up when my ice cream is pulled from my gold dead hands, and not a moment before.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Sure isn't. I enjoy a diet full of sweets, and I'll give that up when my ice cream is pulled from my gold dead hands, and not a moment before.

I know this is very sudden but can I ask your parents for your hand in marriage?
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    This was a good read for my lunch break ...:drinker:
  • Achrya
    Options

I know this is very sudden but can I ask your parents for your hand in marriage?

lol.

Alas, I'm married. My delightful gold hands are already spoken for.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'll give that up when my ice cream is pulled from my gold dead hands, and not a moment before.
    their lunch consists of .. sandwitch

no wonder kids cant eat right, they have parents with gold hands making sandwitches :noway:
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When my daughter went to a private elementary school, they actually stressed health and nutrition and it was their policy to inspect lunches to make sure each child had an appropriate lunch if they weren't purchasing one.

This.

My son goes to a private school (he is in PreK but the school is PreK-8th) and in their weekly newsletters they stress sending kids in with well balanced and nutritious lunches.
    They are also no nuts at his school, so no PB and Js which worried me at first as mine is a picky eater.But he has been going everyday with a ham and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread, carrots, yogurt, and some kind of fruit (apples, grapes, or occasionally applesauce) and he gets milk from school (milk was $50 for the entire year!).
  • Achrya
    Options
    I'll give that up when my ice cream is pulled from my gold dead hands, and not a moment before.
    their lunch consists of .. sandwitch

no wonder kids cant eat right, they have parents with gold hands making sandwitches :noway:

I don't feed my kids at all because I'm afraid my choices won't be up to the other mom's standards.

Also I'm never having children. Being a mother sounds entirely too stressful and the standards far too high for my liking.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Poor kid, she can't be doing well in school with that kind of food. No nurishment for the body, no nurishment for the brain either...

The brain runs on glucose. Sounds like lots of nourishment for the brain. The body is what's suffering.

Oh, so is that why you have a high then a crash when you have nothing but sugar for a snack? You can't tell me that that kid can focus after she has crashed...

I don't. I do when I eat a high carb lunch, but that's a different story. The brain still runs on strictly glucose. There is nourishment. It's your endocrine system that is messing you up when you have this problem.

Okie dokie... You got me. Since that is the case, I will now be packing my kids stricktly twinkies and ding dongs so they can be really really smart... :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I never said to pack your kids twinkies and such. I just pointed out that the brain would not be starving based on what the kid had for her lunch. Way to go way beyond and read more into it. I have known plenty of kids who survive and do well academically on crappy sugary diets. They just fail to thrive.

SMDH

There is a serious lack of critical thinking here today.

And a high level of emotion.

Is it a high level of emotion, or a low level of intelligence?

Hmmm.

Hmmm-thinking.jpg

Unfortunately, along with it, some people's sarcasm meeter is broken...
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    In my kids' daycare, they are also not allowed soda or candy. Not an issue with me, but I wasn't aware of it until last Halloween, I put one small piece of candy in their lunch each day,and later found out they weren't allowed it.

Not sure what happened to it... It wasn't in their lunch box at the end of the day. :laugh:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    They are also no nuts at his school, so no PB and Js which worried me at first as mine is a picky eater.

FYI, if your kids really miss peanut butter, try sunflower seed butter. Tastes pretty close and it's not a "tree nut" so usually allowed in school. My boys both love it.
This discussion has been closed.