cutting out all "cheat" foods

Options
I've been doing a decent job I think of losing weight over the last year (86lbs to date). I'm 197 and my GW is 185. I have been trying to balance foods I like into my diet and I seem to be stuck at 197. So I think i'm going to cut out all the "cheat" foods and see where that gets me.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    whats "cheat" foods?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It'll probably get you to binge city. At least that's where it would get me....
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a decent job I think of losing weight over the last year (86lbs to date). I'm 197 and my GW is 185. I have been trying to balance foods I like into my diet and I seem to be stuck at 197. So I think i'm going to cut out all the "cheat" foods and see where that gets me.

I don't understand... the very first line was about how you've been making good progress. Why are you changing your approach? Keep the same approach, just cut total cals a bit more.

For many people, restricting foods does more harm than good, especially in the long run.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'd say that was more than decent. Have you been adjusting your calorie intake to your weight loss and activity level? If you're still eating the calories you did 20 pounds ago, it's not going to work. Also, the weight will come off more slowly the less you have to lose.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yeah...what is "cheat" foods?? :huh:
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

This.

yep. tried it. Lasted a while but it led to binge city for me. Now all foods are just that - food.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

There are no such things as "cheat foods". You can eat anything you want, when you want. (*)

Try recalculating your TDEE/BMR and make sure you weigh your food - all that good stuff you've been doing so well to date.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(*) provided you stick to your macronutrients.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've done that from the beginning. For me it's a way of life. I don't even like the word cheat. Good for you.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options

This.

yep. tried it. Lasted a while but it led to binge city for me. Now all foods are just that - food.

I'd be binging like crazy if I tried this, just like these others. Not worth it to me. I haven't "cut" anything out and still lost quite a bit! I'm content with myself at my current size. Even though I'm not at my "goal" I'm healthier, able to run, and overall feel better. That should be the REAL goal...feeling better!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't understand... the very first line was about how you've been making good progress. Why are you changing your approach? Keep the same approach, just cut total cals a bit more.

For many people, restricting foods does more harm than good, especially in the long run.

just belaboring this point....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cheat foods? You mean all of the delicious foods that people eat in day to day life and up to this point, you've successfully fit into your diet? Why would you cut those out?

Make sure, after 86 pounds, that your calorie intake is still correct for weight loss.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Cheat foods? You mean all of the delicious foods that people eat in day to day life and up to this point, you've successfully fit into your diet? Why would you cut those out?

Make sure, after 86 pounds, that your calorie intake is still correct for weight loss.

Yes, you would be correct. Right now i'm eating roughly 2200 calories a day, maybe i'll need to drop it down to 1800
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Yes, you would be correct. Right now i'm eating roughly 2200 calories a day, maybe i'll need to drop it down to 1800

That sounds like a far better idea.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I normally try to save my "treats" until Saturday but sometimes then when I start I find it hard to stop and start looking for anything (carbs in particular) to stuff in my gob. I'm wondering if the build up until the weekend causes this and maybe if I had smaller amounts of "naughty" food daily this would not happen? Thoughts?
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I normally try to save my "treats" until Saturday but sometimes then when I start I find it hard to stop and start looking for anything (carbs in particular) to stuff in my gob. I'm wondering if the build up until the weekend causes this and maybe if I had smaller amounts of "naughty" food daily this would not happen? Thoughts?

A very intelligent man once said:

"There are no such things as "cheat foods". You can eat anything you want, when you want. (*)"

I think he commented above. You should really listen to him.

(*) provided you stick to your macronutrients.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options

why would cutting out "cheat" foods be a bad idea?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a case of trial and error. Try it and see if that works for you.

Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

why would cutting out "cheat" foods be a bad idea?

Read back through the tread.