Bridezilla, weight loss sabotage? Or common sense.

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys and Girls,

I've spoken about this before but i guess i really have no idea what to do about this or what my options are, if i'm out of line or if my sister is. I guess i really feel like i've lost motivation because i'm being guilt tripped into stopping my fitness for my sister wedding.

As some of you know my sister is getting married and she asked me to be her bridesmaid. After many weeks of saying i wasn't really up for the role, she showed me the dresses we had to wear, said it will all be nice and easy, so i finally agreed to do it.

Before i had agree to this i was 215-220lbs overweight and was told if i didn't lose this i may risk not being able to have children as well as i was at risk for diabetes. So i started a nutritional science course and joined MFP. My sister found out i was losing weight and sent me a TxT saying i have to stop or the dress won't fit. This was 14months before the wedding.. before any dresses were purchased. She then went on to tell me the dresses were going to be purchased ASAP and i would have to stop. This telling me i have to stop went on for a few months but thanks to people telling me to keep going and ignore her...i'm around 160 still overweight, out of danger, glad i didn't stop. I really don't want to stop any time soon.

I'm now paying for the dress as my sister said it would be my way of helping her out. >.< So i asked if it would be okay, if i we're to continue my health and pay for the dress size to be altered closer to the date, which i would happily pay for, so i could continue my fitness as i don't want to hold off my health for another 9 months+. And she went off the handles asking me why i can't wait until after her wedding to lose the rest of the weight, telling me i'm stupid and it's a waste of time and money and i should just be happy that i get to be her bridesmaid.

Any who the dress she picked changed again. We are to buy them at the end of this month... Even though the wedding is 9-10months away. She chose the opposite of what she wanted and what the other bridesmaids were happy with. It's now short, grey high round neckline. One of the bridesmaids left, stating my sister was clearly trying to dress us to look like garbage and pay for a $250 dress we'd never wear again. + $100 for alteration considering we'd have it way before the wedding date.... if she'd even let us alter them.

The matron of honor sent me an email a week ago telling me she is about to take a holiday during the wedding as she doesn't want to see a friendship end over my sisters rudeness....Her name is Elly she is 46years old and is a little self conscious and agreed she'd be the matron as the dress that was picked was long and covered her legs and wasn't revealing.. The other bridesmaid agreed to liking the first dress as it suited her body type being very top heavy and was the reason she was okay with paying for it, but she didn't want to have to buy this new dress she'd never wear again.. So i had a chat to my sister over the phone updating her about how getting the others to like the new dress was going and i mentioned they we're okay but a little upset the length, colour, style, material changed and she didn't talk to them about it before she made the change and she went nuts! "Who says any of this has to be about them! IT'S MY WEDDING!" They can where what they want at THEIR stupid weddings. Tell them to suck it up.

We had another brides party meeting yesterday and my sister announced we have to have our hair cut short or tight in a bun. No light hair colours. The shoes have to be open pep toe stilettos, orange and we have to also buy them. Her reason for picking pep toe was.."The shoes have to be open pep toe because it's winter and they are the best option" The last bridesmaid is no longer apart of the brides party she sent us all an email last night explaining why she is no longer available..

I am now the only 1 in the bridesmaid party. The matron of honor is pretty keen on leaving. I really don't care if she dresses me up like a clown, i'm just concerned for her asking me to stop my fitness.. And i'm pretty annoyed i'm looking at paying $500+ for clothing i will NEVER wear again.

What do i do? I don't want to be apart of her mind games anymore, i really don't want to spend $500+ on wedding clothing i will never wear again. And i would at least like to be able to alter the dress..but i'm not allow to. I don't want to feel guilty that i'm getting my life back on track, i want to continue my fitness yet this is making me feel horrible. Have you got family members or loved ones trying to stop you from your goals? Any advice? I'm damned if i do i'm damned if i don't. =(

I have taken the liberty of highlighting all the statements that prove your sister is cray cray. Several options:

1) Feel free to print this out and show it to her fiance and BAM...no wedding.

2) Bow out of the wedding as the other two already have since you are the last bridesmaid left you have amazing leverage to negotiate your terms when she realizes she will be walking down the aisle to a line up of all ushers and NO bridesmaids or anythings of honor. (bonus points if the realization of this causes her to elope...hey that's an idea maybe you can start leaving elope stories and mag articles around her house...plant the seed.)

3) The second idea that came out of this was agree to everything she says regarding the dresses and then maneuver to end up at your dress appointments alone and just don't actually order anything until the last minute but in the meantime buy the loyalty of the dress shop keeping ur secret by pre-purchasing your shoes and purse and accessories since those aren't likely to rely on size.

4) Have her 51/50'd, final option.

Everytime I hear a bridezilla story I'm always surprised anyone wants to marry that.

P.S. OP I remember you and I think I gave you good advice in earnest but forget what it was. Fact your still having problems indicates that you probably didn't listen to me because as you can see my solutions are usually pretty final. Hopefully your committment to yourself has resulted in so much weight loss, so many compliments and so much gym and workout badas.sery that your confidence is sky high and so is your mojo and you are now in such a high state of self esteem as to carry out my current advice with no problem whatsoever.

ETA: Do NOT cut your hair. If she says that ONE MORE TIME...cut her's. The end. I swear, I'm done here this girl is just a train wreck I can't beleive how some families can have such opposite people in them. On the one hand we have a girl who listens to her Dr's and gets herself to healthy in spite of the hyoogest sabotate in the world and on the other hand we have a monster in a white dress. *smh* Could this be the result of favoritism?
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Live

Your

Own

Life

The bride is supposed to look better than everyone, she is the one that gets the best dress and the ring and the guy remember ?

But she should not, WILL NOT , look better than you if that means you need to but your personal weight and health goals on hold just to be the fast bridesmaid.

You need to carry on, buy the dress in several sizes too small and slim into it.

If she is mad with you, then that is her problem, not yours.

^^totally this. I just got married for the second time in July of 2011.. both times I made it important to not only get the color I wanted but the style that was most flattering on the girls. Most of my girls both times were big girls and I wanted them to feel and look sexy on the day. You can always get the dress altered, and you DO NOT have to only go the place where the dress has been purchased. YOu need to keep going on your weight loss/lifestyle change journey.. you can never stop. It is when I did stop is when I gained all my weight I had lost back plus some. SHe is being a b word and you know it. Just smile and nod when it comes to her and her demands then do what the hell you want to do. Its just one day, I know it gets stressful but geez. Perhaps she is feeling a bit jealous you may show her up? NOt sure but its your life, just stop discussing it with her when it comes to weightloss or eating healthy. Manage to change the subject/redirect, etc. I am sure because its your sister you do want to make her happy but you have to draw the line. She is the one out of line and perhaps out of her mind. IF she is this way now, I would hate to even be in the same state as her on the month and worse yet- day of. AAHHHH!! Maybe she needs some stiff margarita night and soon.Good luck. (ps, the dress is an average going rate price but the shoes sound very unreasonable for sure, it is custom for the bridesmaids and maid of honors to pay for their own dresses but since you are paying it is yours to do with what you want)
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt have to compromise your health for anyone. Order the dress in the size you feel you will be able to achieve. Pay for it and the alterations. If she throws a fit then tell her its this option or you will have no other choice than to not be in the wedding because you won't compromise your health for her and that you love her but you're not budging on this. Good luck!
    Some women forget that it's not the wedding that matters, really. It's the many shared years spent together that is really important. It's your sister. I understand that. So bend as far as you can on the dress. If you pay for the dress, that makes it yours and you can alter it if you want. And since you are the only one left, you don't have to worry about matching anyone else, right? It's a win-win.
    But stand your ground on your health (and control of your own body).
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like your sister was spoiled.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Just noticed you said "we are to buy them (the dresses) at the end of this month".

Well then the ball is in your court.

Still lots of time till the wedding. Tell her you do not have the $$ right now but will order it when you do. Then order an appropriate size that will arrive in time for the wedding and make sure the store understands YOUR dress, that YOU are paying for will not be given to the bride.

If she argues with her tell her you must regretfully step out of the wedding and she can replace you.

So really no matter what replies you get here, if you order a dress 14 months in advance, you have just let her know you will fall in line with any crazy idea she comes up with.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    :huh: I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think there is a man stupid enough to marry her. :drinker:

And by the way, if you let her dictate your life you are the one with the issues...:wink:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My sister found out i was losing weight and sent me a TxT saying i have to stop or the dress won't fit. This was 14months before the wedding.. before any dresses were purchased.

Um, no. Just no. That's unacceptable.

If the dress is that important to her, she can find another bridesmaid.
    We had another brides party meeting yesterday and my sister announced we have to have our hair cut short or tight in a bun. No light hair colours.

WTF? That's ridiculous and way out of line.
  • RAVEOFLIGHT
    Options
    The wedding is just the iceberg here. She's not just a bridezilla she's a womanzilla.

You have to own your part in the situation because you are enabling her bad behaviour and horrible treatment of you.

The comment she made about the impact of your weight on pregnancy is horrible. She doesn't care about you. She would rather keep you morbidly obese than have you happy and healthy. I shudder to think at the damage she has caused around her. She reminds me of the blonde girl from "Muriel's Wedding".

Seriously, these bridezillas need a feminist wake up call.

She is a Barbie doll who has had everyone cowtow to her all her life and she has an unhealthy sense of entitlement. You are threatening her with your weight loss because you might become the center of attention and she can't deal with that.

Blood is not thicker than water.

Being obese/overweight plays tricks with your self-esteem. Your self-image is way off if you have to delay your health goal for someone's wedding. Save the money for the dress to use for your fitness goals.

It doesn't matter whether she's your sister or not. It matters that she is horrible to you and not being loving.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and extremely helpful advice! Every comment has helped me and i will keep coming back to read them when i start to feel down and guilt tripped again. I have anxiety so my sister is very good at controlling me which i've known for a long time. I need to man up and tell her i am always here for her but my health comes first. Next time she says something drastic again, i will listen to it all the way through and say" No, i am sorry but my health is important and i would rather have a healthy child one day then attend your wedding. I will keep up my doctor appointments and my fitness until i am deemed healthy." And end it at that. It's not rude at all... i hope. Definitely better then the email the bridesmaid sent... Which my sister has now asked me to remove her from FB... I'll pst it below. I really don't want to remove her though...

Sorry I will not be attending the Wedding. I fear this will only result in the end of a friendship if we continue down this path despite the damage already done. At this point in your life you are not mature or caring enough to have Bridesmaids.

A Bridesmaid is meant to be those closest to you, the girls in your life who you love, who you trust to give you away to your new partner. Not the women in your life you want to humiliate on your day to feel better about yourself. We have been so patient with you, ******* and I stayed as long as we could handle it but it is far too stressful.

My reasons why

You can’t expect to charge us a new billed item every time you change your mind with out even consulting us first.

You are intentionally trying to push us by telling us we will be buying ridiculously price items none of us will ever wear again as they do not suit us.

You refused to even let us in to discuss as a group or look at any of the things a bridesmaid party would.

You change the rules every time we have a meeting, you’ve changed the dresses monthly to more expensive more appalling dresses.

********* over heard you laughing telling your fiancé how hideous ***** looked it the current dress you chose. That’s why she left before I had the common sense to.

Honestly does this sound like how a Bride should treat her Bridesmaids? No.

Would you be okay if I was to treat you this way? No.

I wish you all the best and many happy years with your partner to be. I am truly sorry it has come to this and I hope your magical day goes perfectly.

Regretfully

• littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Your health HAS to come first. If she doesn't understand this then God help her future spouse and her marriage, she doesn't sound ready for one.

Stand up and fight! You're not the rude one, she is.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have a solution......

Buy the dress in the size that fits today.

Keep up the exercise and diet.

On the day of the wedding, wear the dress, over a 'proper sized' dress, and padd it out with cushions, old car tires, whatever you need to really fill it.

At the end of the ceremony, strip off the dress and the cushions and hold your head up high.

She gets what she wants - fat bridesmaids
    You get healthy and you get to play the ultimate Eff-You card at the end too :)

- This is how I would play it, but then I am not known for being shy and retiring.....

BAHAHA !!

Win!!!!
    X2
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a solution......

On the day of the wedding, wear the dress, over a 'proper sized' dress, and padd it out with cushions, old car tires, whatever you need to really fill it.

At the end of the ceremony, strip off the dress and the cushions and hold your head up high.

- This is how I would play it, but then I am not known for being shy and retiring.....

BAHAHA !!

Win!!!!
    X2

Haha that would be awesome!! She'd probably be very happy with that ;3
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The only issue is i think she knows i was planning that, as she's still reminding me the dress is going to in her little hands until the day before the wedding. Hoping mum will tell her i've gained weight and i need to try it on again... Then we'll get it altered <.< >.> Feels a little bad sneaking around though =( i need to toughen up.
    [/quote]

If you pay for and order the dress . . . you should keep it not her. She is being a royal ***** and you need to put her in her place!
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    There's no such thing as a good bridesmaid's dress. They're archaic, and ridiculous by nature. It's your sister's day. Let her have it.
  • ishkabob
    ishkabob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a solution......

BAHAHA !!

Win!!!!
    X2

Haha that would be awesome!! She'd probably be very happy with that ;3

this gets my vote
  • VonDressToLarge
    Options
    Your sis is a psyco. Seriously run away. No wedding day is worth ruining your life.
  • VonDressToLarge
    Options
    There's no such thing as a good bridesmaid's dress. They're archaic, and ridiculous by nature. It's your sister's day. Let her have it.

So you're okay this poor girl is being emotionally blackmailed and abused. Told to stop losing weight and has no sympathy from the bride on the fact she may never have kids, all because it's her nutcase sisters wedding day. You have an odd outlook on how things work. That's a little concerning. Funny how some people see this as okay behavior for a bride... For a human.

2rfv5gg.jpg
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I just can't imagine....When I got married last year I let each of my bridesmaids pic the dress that suited them best. All I asked is that they each pick a different color associated with fall. They all got together, determined colors, and bought dresses they were comfortable in and suited their body types. They controlled their budget and accessories, and several have worn their dresses again for other occaisions. Each girl did their hair the way they wanted and accessorized their dress the way they wanted and I have the most beautiful, happy pictures from my wedding..with the exception that I weigh about 40 more pounds than I do now ;-)

It may be her day, but when you ask your closest friends and family to share it with you, it isn't so you can make them look so horrible they make you look better...I made a beautiful bride because I was surrounded by those that were truly happy to be a part of it and that made me happiest. No matter what she does to make others look awful she will be a horror of a bride because of her ugly attitude. Keep your head up, GET HEALTHY, and don't allow someone to poision you. You can't choose your family, and it is hard to cut the cord, but she is nothing but toxin to you. Good Luck.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Your sister is out of line. Just tell her that you're going to continue getting healthy and you will have the dress altered. If she throws you off the wedding party because you set an entirely appropriate boundary, then that's what happens.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Your health goals are much more important than her wedding. Personally, I would be backing out of participation in the wedding. Any bride that unreasonable and demanding of the people she has selected to share her big day, does not deserve it. It is about the celebration of love, family and friendship. NOT about the production of their perfect day.