"You're still fat"

Options

Replies

• MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have to share something that I have kept secret for a few days.
    For the first time last friday, I actually got to the 4 mile mark during my walk. This was a huge, huge, huge accomplishment for me. All of my MFP friends know that I am about 100 pounds over- weight, but I have been working very hard and I am dedicated to being a better me. I am down 15 pounds and will probably hit 16 this week. With that said, I was at the end of my walk last Friday and I turned around to head back home. I came to a stop light. While at the stop light, I didn’t want my heart rate to drop, so I did a slow jog. I am not the most graceful person and I know that I am a sight to see when trying to run. But I was doing my best and I was proud of myself. While I was waiting at the light, a car full of cute “skinny” girls pulled up to the stop light. They rolled the windows down and made an effort to make sure I knew they were laughing at me. When the light turned green and they began to drive off, the person closest to me yelled, “You’re still fat”. I immediately stopped in my tracks and slumped over in sadness. How could people that I don’t even know steal my joy? How could people that I don’t even know be so cruel? Why did they even care? Why make the effort to go out of their way to be hurtful? I just don’t understand. This incident didn’t deter me. I am still just as focused on my goals as ever. But I can’t deny that it had an effect on me. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I said to myself, “you ARE still fat”. Sometimes the truth hurts. I obviously have a weight problem. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be doing this. But it is amazing how words either positive or negative can change your outlook. I don’t know what my point is here. I just want everyone to know that when you say “good job” or “you can do it”, it means more to me than you will ever know. Words are powerful. I won’t drop a bunch of cliché’s and antidotes in this situation because you probably have heard them all. I wasn’t even going to mention this to my MFP community, but I decided that getting it out would allow me to move on. I found a great quote. See below and be nice to each other. =0)

“Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” ~Shirley MacLaine

:noway::brokenheart: :mad: :explode:

Do. Not. Give. Them. The. Power! DON'T!!!! People like that are only trying to compensate for something lacking in themselves. They see themselves badly so they try to bring others down to their level. DO NOT LET THEM!!!

Oh that makes me grrrr.....

You have got this!!!!

oh yeah.....Buy some headphones/ear buds some great music that brings you up and turn it up loud to block out the negativity.

You would be surprised how good music can lift you and even give you that extra UMPH of energy to push yourself harder!!

Please add me! :love:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    A possible retort:
    "You're still fat."
    "But one day I'll be slim however you'll always be stupid."

But frankly, they're not worth your energy. Focus on your goal.

Take up strength training and know that you could probably crush them but choose not to. :D
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    What yoovie said. Drop it.

Fat is something that happens over time through inattention. It's hard to beat and you're doing it.

Being a nasty little ***** is something that occurs by choice and poor breeding.

Press on.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well, that chick is still a cruel jerk - and you are working hard, what is she doing to change? nothing.

she'll still be a dumb jerk tomorrow, and you, my friend, will be less fat tomorrow. :-)

^^^^^^THIS!!! :drinker:
  • eclohessy
    Options
    When confronted with people like that, I think of it this way: I would 100% rather be fat, smart, and a good person than be a skinny b***h who has no soul and is cruel all the time. I can (and YOU can and ARE) lose weight - you can't fix *kitten*.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    They might be skinny, and in your opinion cute... but they sound ugly as hell to me. Keep up the work. One day you can laugh in their faces.
  • bmeadows67
    Options
    You are already better than they are; because you are out there trying! grain of salt as they say! keep up the great work & stay positive - it will catch up to them (later in life when they hit 40 & there's nothing they can do about gravity)
    :smile:
  • Nilasaurus
    Nilasaurus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. For a long long time, I have been shy about telling people that I am dieting or working out for the fear of the derisive, judgmental looks saying - but oh, doesn't look like it. Every day I don my shoes, my ipod, grab a water bottle and walk to the gym, feeling all the eyes burning into me on the way and inside the gym. I am the only fat person at the gym. And I look like a wobbly elephant when I am doing cardio, I really want to run but I feel so shy about it, that I just walk on the treadmill. But lately I have started to stop caring about it all. I proudly tell people that I am going to the gym, and even though I don't sweat at all, I work out like a pig for hours every day. The same people who were smirking at me, when I stepped in for the first time, they see me come in every day, day after day, pumping iron & doing my cardio. And I don't know if it's true or not - but I tell myself, that they admire me for my tenacity. I tell myself that when I will lose weight right in front of their eyes, they are going to tell stories about that 200+ lbs girl, who lost 100 lbs. I think it's all really in the mind, whatever negative life throws at us - it's for us to make it positive.

It doesn't matter who's laughing today. What matters is not giving up & having the last laugh. The ones who are laughing at you, are only the ones who are going to tell stories about your achievement tomorrow. Kill it girl!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Yes this. Damn girl you need to be proud, 4 miles is a kick *kitten* walk. Well done and you will get there. Those silly biotches are just that. You keep going! I am so happy you are doing this. You will never regret it!:flowerforyou:
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    don't worry, they will get divorced when their husbands look for a younger model
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've had a few moments to think about this further.

You should feel sorry for her. I cannot imagine ever wanting to shout that out to someone who is trying to change their life for the better - when I see someone such as yourself out jogging I want to shout, "YES!!" (but I don't because this is Britain and the jogger will no doubt think I'm taking the piss). I can only assume she is so miserable inside that she feels the need to ruin a complete stranger's day.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am so proud of you- and I don't even know you! Any time I see anyone jogging/walking/moving while I am driving by, I think in my head "YOU GO GIRL (or boy)!!"- and I get even more happy when I see people who have some weight to lose working it. Ignore those silly little girls and keep up the good work. You are better than them!

^^^ This... those girls have bigger issues than trying to lose weight! You keep up the great work!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    WWrsO6k.png

PS It doesn't matter if you are over weight or not, people might and most probably will say insulting comments and unsolicited advice because it is usually a reflection of their short comings.

ETA: Also some people just suck!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Watch something motivatioonal, get your mind on anything else and do your best to forget about it. You know you've done well, and that's what matters. Focus on victories, and only let your set backs serve as more motivation to win.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    You ignore those nasty spiteful people. You shuld feel good and proud. Partly because of the good you doing for yourself, and partly just because you a human being, worthy of respect and dignity!

I have lost 60lbs but am still classed as super morbidly obese. People got their clever comment,s but I try to remember this- The things they do and day reflect badly on THEM not me. Horribke people.

*hugs* so sorry this happened, lovely xxxxxx
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have to share something that I have kept secret for a few days.
    For the first time last friday, I actually got to the 4 mile mark during my walk. This was a huge, huge, huge accomplishment for me. All of my MFP friends know that I am about 100 pounds over- weight, but I have been working very hard and I am dedicated to being a better me. I am down 15 pounds and will probably hit 16 this week. With that said, I was at the end of my walk last Friday and I turned around to head back home. I came to a stop light. While at the stop light, I didn’t want my heart rate to drop, so I did a slow jog. I am not the most graceful person and I know that I am a sight to see when trying to run. But I was doing my best and I was proud of myself. While I was waiting at the light, a car full of cute “skinny” girls pulled up to the stop light. They rolled the windows down and made an effort to make sure I knew they were laughing at me. When the light turned green and they began to drive off, the person closest to me yelled, “You’re still fat”. I immediately stopped in my tracks and slumped over in sadness. How could people that I don’t even know steal my joy? How could people that I don’t even know be so cruel? Why did they even care? Why make the effort to go out of their way to be hurtful? I just don’t understand. This incident didn’t deter me. I am still just as focused on my goals as ever. But I can’t deny that it had an effect on me. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I said to myself, “you ARE still fat”. Sometimes the truth hurts. I obviously have a weight problem. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be doing this. But it is amazing how words either positive or negative can change your outlook. I don’t know what my point is here. I just want everyone to know that when you say “good job” or “you can do it”, it means more to me than you will ever know. Words are powerful. I won’t drop a bunch of cliché’s and antidotes in this situation because you probably have heard them all. I wasn’t even going to mention this to my MFP community, but I decided that getting it out would allow me to move on. I found a great quote. See below and be nice to each other. =0)

“Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” ~Shirley MacLaine

Wish it wasn't immoral and illegal to beat someone because of this. oops.
  • lainie644
    lainie644 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    They do it because we let them. Girls like that don't know any better; they are shallow minded. If you are a believer, then pray for them. Their problems go deeper than our weight challenges. It also probably affected you because you are working hard to get to a healthy weight. Just don't dwell on shallow minded people. You know what you want and you know how to get there. Keep up the good work. Elaine.
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Some people just like to heckle and they will find a reason. When I am out running, I get swerved at, yelled at, people try to startle me, people throw stuff out the windows. I guess it brings them joy. I went a few years just hearing about incidents like these, but recently they happen to me at least once a month.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Take what they said and use it to fuel you to your goals!!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I love the Shirley MacLaine quote. It is so very true. You're doing the right thing, coming to your support system to vent and move on. You can lose all the weight in the world and miserable people will find something to criticize about you or anyone else who happens to be within their crosshairs at the moment. That's what miserable people do, try to make others more miserable than they are.

Don't let ANYTHING or ANYONE deter you from your goals. Don't let this get in the way of you getting out tomorrow and walking another 4 miles or jogging across an intersection. Hold your head high because you are working toward something to better yourself. Look at the world around you - not many people are doing that these days. Be proud of your 15 pounds so far and keep moving toward that 100 pound goal. You have what it takes and no one can take that away from you!