Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    BOOM. Qft.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree totally! I can eat all my calories in ice cream or lettuce and still lose weight if it's a deficit. However, with my family genetics I do not dare eat things with cholesterol or salt. We all need to remember we will get old and have old people sicknesses.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    But what will become of Doc Oz?

If I manage to drive him off the TV, which would be the great success of my life, he always has that whole "cardiac surgery" thing to fall back on.

I'll help you steer.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Once you hop on MFP you learn so goddamn much about calories that some foods look absolutely disgusting anymore. (Example - I ate a bagel and cream cheese from Dunkin the other day and almost vomited at the sight of my 850 calorie breakfast. This included the coffee and the iced cider my mother didn't like.)

Calories are everywhere. American food sucks.
  • Alliern45
    Alliern45 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Portion Control. Calories IN. Calores OUT. That simple...and that hard.
    Allie
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Quantity over quality, that is what I am about when it comes to food!!!!

I have found ways to maximise the amount i can eat while sticking to my cals but i cant eat unlimited amounts, ultimately. But like, the other side to that is i can eat junk as long as not too much... ah yyeeeeeeeeea
    xxxxxx
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Once you hop on MFP you learn so goddamn much about calories that some foods look absolutely disgusting anymore. (Example - I ate a bagel and cream cheese from Dunkin the other day and almost vomited at the sight of my 850 calorie breakfast. This included the coffee and the iced cider my mother didn't like.)

Hey, I had a bagel with cream cheese from Dunkies for breakfast today. With a coffee. :laugh:

I also ate half a Domino's bacon chicken pizza, half an order of cheesy bread, and half an order of Cinna Stix yesterday. But, still.
  • Really interesting article man.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I posted before I read the article because I thought I had something funny to say.

That was probably the best article I have ever read on obesity. Thank you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    mariah_applause.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/6051/you-eat-too-much/

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

...except pineapple. It's pure evil.

Fixed it for you.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I agree about the eating too much thing but the article is awful, absolute pile of rubbish.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

True. I've ate a few healthy foods along the way & a lot of crap & have lost over 120+ pounds.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Not me.
    My mom says I'm special.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

...except pineapple. It's pure evil.

Fixed it for you.

huh.gif
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had a bagel with cream cheese from Dunkies for breakfast today. With a coffee. :laugh:

I also ate half a Domino's bacon chicken pizza, half an order of cheesy bread, and half an order of Cinna Stix yesterday. But, still.

That, the doughnut burger you're eating in your profile, and the fast food logos on your ticker make it obvious that you're pretty proud of being able to eat a lot of junk food calories and still lose or maintain your weight. Whatever makes you feel special, man. But would you be so cavalier with the "It's so simple you idiot, just eat less" advice if you were only able to eat 1500 calories a day? Or might you have a little more empathy for people who wish there was an easier way (even if they're deluded about it)?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Not me.
    My mom says I'm special.

I don't doubt it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Why are bagels getting such a bad rap lately?:laugh: I'm in a challenge on here: Eat Pizza Everyday, Lose Weight Easy (except I eat ice cream everyday, not pizza) and we were talking about this article here:
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/eating-help/calories/foods-to-never-eat/ ... lol. Bagels topped the list. :huh:
    We discussed doing a mini challenge to see if a person could eat all 10 'bad' foods in one day and still meet their macro/micro and fiber goals. I logged them in for tomorrow and it can be done easily. So I'm doing it. :bigsmile: Sad that there's so much demonizing of food going on, when that is NOT the problem.
  • jonnythan
    Options

That, the doughnut burger you're eating in your profile, and the fast food logos on your ticker make it obvious that you're pretty proud of being able to eat a lot of junk food calories and still lose or maintain your weight. Whatever makes you feel special, man. But would you be so cavalier with the "It's so simple you idiot, just eat less" advice if you were only able to eat 1500 calories a day? Or might you have a little more empathy for people who wish there was an easier way (even if they're deluded about it)?

My calorie target for about 6 months this year was 1500.

And I hit that target consistently while still eating fast food and ice cream many times per week.

So...... yeah.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Here's an example of where ice cream can be fit into a 1400 calorie plan. There's ALWAYS room for ice cream. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity