You eat too much.

Options

Replies

• kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I live vicariously through Jonnythan's diary during the week. Don't try and take that away from me, you nay-sayers. :grumble:
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

How? What do you want, diagrams? I should get a troupe together and act it out for you?

Wait will you do that? LIke is that a legit option?

Bet that it looks like this

342.gif

Or this...
    f42.gif
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Here's a nice article with plenty of citations, if people really care about fat intake, risks, etc:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/6051/you-eat-too-much/

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

...except cauliflower. It's pure evil.

Agreed. It's of the Devil.

It's only the devil because people keep trying to make it into something it's not. Let cauliflower just be......
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I agree with this in general, but don't some people find it easier to eat less when they eat food higher in nutrients? Because I have noticed that I am more easily satisfied by nutrient dense foods than I am with junk food of equal caloric value. I'm "happier" briefly with the junk food, but the nutritious stuff just seems to... LAST me longer, not sure how to say it but I think you get the idea?

This.
    But I will say that the chili cheese burger (no bun - because I can't eat wheat) and small fries from a local burger joint that my hubby brought to me at work today was delish and lasted through moving my kitchen furniture around to get the old stove out and the new one in. (The stove was supposed to be delivered on hubby's day off. Not so much and so the delivery people left it outside and my 16 year old helped me move the old one out and the new one in.) It will be months before I have another fast food hamburger, but it was really good today and I have worked it off for sure.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I live vicariously through Jonnythan's diary during the week. Don't try and take that away from me, you nay-sayers. :grumble:
    It was seeing his diary that gave me my first MFP Aha moment. When I first started on here I was all about the "clean eating, whole food, toxic aspartame, McDonalds is evil, let's watch some more YouTube documentaries." Then I learned that I was wrong and was depriving myself for nothing and THAT is why I am still here today, plodding along successfully, losing weight, getting healthier and enjoying...ALL the foods. :drinker:
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I likey.. I am going to adopt this principal. Calories = Food Currency.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

So I show you graphical evidence that his blood work is fine (read: pretty damn good) despite your saying otherwise, and you basically go on to say "Whatever, everyone KNOWS that this is the way it is, duh" in so many....many...more words. Oh my goodness. I've seen the light. Truly, the logic behind this woman's assertions are built upon a foundation of immovable stone. How could I possibly have been so blind?

Oh where to start... OK the foundation on which these assertions are built on may not be immovable stone but it's reliable enough. Two guys called Brown and Goldstein won a Nobel Prize back in 1985 for their work on the health risks associated with high cholesterol.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/1985/press.html

Thoughts?

Will that do? I have to get my dancing shoes on and my troupe ready.... :wink:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

It's only the devil because people keep trying to make it into something it's not. Let cauliflower just be......

Cauliflower is Broccoli's ugly, bland, and tasteles younger sister that no one really wants around but tolerates because Broccoli's mom says so.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It took me so long to accept and understand this. And its unbelievable the difference logging makes. I never realized how much I ate. I am losing now although I have hit a plateau. Great topic.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

So I show you graphical evidence that his blood work is fine (read: pretty damn good) despite your saying otherwise, and you basically go on to say "Whatever, everyone KNOWS that this is the way it is, duh" in so many....many...more words. Oh my goodness. I've seen the light. Truly, the logic behind this woman's assertions are built upon a foundation of immovable stone. How could I possibly have been so blind?

Oh where to start... OK the foundation on which these assertions are built on may not be immovable stone but it's reliable enough. Two guys called Brown and Goldstein won a Nobel Prize back in 1985 for their work on the health risks associated with high cholesterol.

Thoughts?

My lipid profile is very good.

My cholesterol intake averages about 300 mg a day, too. Which is the RDA.

What else you got?
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    To people concerned about high cholesterol: I bought the book Grain Brain on Amazon(for my interest's sake only, of course), written by a neurologist. He mentions a study that links low cholesterol levels with an approximately doubled risk of suicide. I would like to point out that cholesterol is 1) produced by your body, and 2) serves a legitimate purpose(helps aid in the physical healing of veins and arteries, among other things). It's the concerns about cholesterol in foods that have caused eggs(probably the most nutritionally perfect food known to man) to be demonized.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Look, stop trying to rain on everyone's parade (all this "watch what you eat" talk).

If someone loses close to 100 lbs., they are obviously in better health, regardless of whatever so-called "junk" food they currently eat.

Let them enjoy their treats, their improved self-image, and their (relatively) longer life span (statistically speaking, of course).

Here's to donuts and pizza!
    :drinker:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Cauliflower is Broccoli's ugly, bland, and tasteles younger sister that no one really wants around but tolerates because Broccoli's mom says so.

:laugh: Can not improve on that.
  • Hildy_J
    Options

Thoughts?

What else you got?

? It's not about cholesterol intake - it's the saturated fat and trans-fatty acids in all the junk you're eating that RAISE your risk of having high cholesterol. Which raises the risk of you getting cardio-vascular disease. Unless you're different of course.... Isn't there a phrase on here people use in this situation... snowflake... something...
  • jonnythan
    Options

Thoughts?

What else you got?

? It's not about cholesterol intake - it's the saturated fat and trans-fatty acids in all the junk you're eating that RAISE your risk of having high cholesterol. Which raises the risk of you getting cardio-vascular disease. Unless you're different of course.... Isn't there a phrase on here people use in this situation... snowflake... something...

I don't have high cholesterol.

Saturated fat is bad again? I thought we moved past that.

So... again... Got anything?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    312hj7a.jpg
  • Hildy_J
    Options

Thoughts?

What else you got?

Better than the guys who got the Nobel prize? Nope, I got nothing. You win.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Thoughts?

What else you got?

Better than the guys who got the Nobel prize? Nope, I got nothing. You win.

Not sure what you're talking about. My cholesterol levels are very good. How specifically am I putting my health at risk?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Let us see, for the last two years I've averaged 500-600 mg of cholesterol daily, between 60-100 g of fat, eat a pint of ice cream (EVERY NIGHT) and between 300-400g of carbs (100-200 coming from sugar). My cholesterol? Between 97 - 105 every single test.

You know what impacts cholesterol the most? Obesity, exercise, & genetics.