You eat too much.

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/6051/you-eat-too-much/

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

I think you are wrong. I've been watching a lot of documentaries on Netflix these past couple of weeks about food, diet. If you think there are no "bad foods" you are highly mistaken and should do some more research.

Netflix movies are not research, I'm afraid.

I didn't say movies. I said documentaries, and YES, there is a lot of research involved in the ones I've watched. You are delusional.

Well then, which ones have you watched?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

I think you are wrong. I've been watching a lot of documentaries on Netflix these past couple of weeks about food, diet. If you think there are no "bad foods" you are highly mistaken and should do some more research.

I didn't say movies. I said documentaries, and YES, there is a lot of research involved in the ones I've watched. You are delusional.

Seriously. Read actual science. Those "documentaries" have agendas.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Documentary, by definition are bias. They want to sell you an idea. Read real research.

It look like this:

http://ryo1m.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/files/Diabetologia20110609.pdf
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Documentaries are completely biased, based on the director/sponsor's views they wish to express. 9/10 times they're nothing short of propaganda.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump to read later, gotta study for my mid term exams for college :grumble:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I got addicted to collecting the Mc Donald toys. I wasn't interested in the 'food', and used to give the kid's meal to some poor homeless person.

Like they don't have enough problems... smh

Giving a homeless person a McD burger is making their problems worse?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I got addicted to collecting the Mc Donald toys. I wasn't interested in the 'food', and used to give the kid's meal to some poor homeless person.

Giving a homeless person a McD burger is making their problems worse?

That is seriously messed up. So what. They should just starve? Dafuq?
  • maximumcutie
    maximumcutie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true. But it is much better to eat a 200 calorie snack of veggies or fruit than a donut. Even if you maintain the same weight because of the calories being the same, your body is not going to be as healthy - you'll have a higher body fat and you'll probably miss out on nutrients. Calories in - calories out is how weight is gained or lost, but there are also the nutrition aspects that should be taken into account.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

yes - like often wondering where their next meal will come from. Far better to toss the food in the garbage than to offer it to someone who is genuinely hungry.

*rolls eyes*
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

WTH? Are you serious?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true. But it is much better to eat a 200 calorie snack of veggies or fruit than a donut. Even if you maintain the same weight because of the calories being the same, your body is not going to be as healthy - you'll have a higher body fat and you'll probably miss out on nutrients. Calories in - calories out is how weight is gained or lost, but there are also the nutrition aspects that should be taken into account.

Yes. But only because donuts are gross, not because of that other stuff you said.
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to note that OP did talk about maintaining the correct body composition is also key. Which is done by hitting certain percentages of macros for what you want to attain.

I will say that vitamins are essential for certain bodily processes to function most effectively, but it usually doesn't take gigantic amounts

But honestly, if it's within your calories and macros, and you live a fairly active lifestyle, weight loss is really a numbers game.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

...except cauliflower. It's pure evil.

QFT!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Yes. But only because donuts are gross, not because of that other stuff you said.

I would choose the donut (unless the veggies were starchy and fruits low in fiber). I have to eat low fiber or I get extremely ill.
  • PetulantOne
    Options

Seriously???

Have you ever seen homeless people dumpster diving for food?

I have. I almost got fired from KFC when I was a teenager. I found a few guys inside our dumpster digging for chicken the chicken we had thrown away. I started handing it out to them out of the drive thru window at night, so that they didn't have to do that.

Was I also contributing to their problems? Do you think they give a rat's *kitten* what they're eating as long as they're eating?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Seriously???

I have. I almost got fired from KFC when I was a teenager. I found a few guys inside our dumpster digging for chicken the chicken we had thrown away. I started handing it out to them out of the drive thru window at night, so that they didn't have to do that.

Was I also contributing to their problems? Do you think they give a rat's *kitten* what they're eating as long as they're eating?

Jaysus. Why don't you just give them clothes from Walmart to make sure they look like crap as well...

Yep, because that is at the forefront of their mind!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Seriously???

Jaysus. Why don't you just give them clothes from Walmart to make sure they look like crap as well...

Once again, jumping in and saying something that is really unkind. When people have nothing, Walmart seems grand to them. Have a little empathy. May you never be without in your life.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Seriously???

Yep, because that is at the forefront of their mind!

Didn't you know fashion is just as important as eating only organic foods when you are homeless?

I hope you don't teach kids this.
  • PetulantOne
    Options

Seriously???

Someone please tell me she's not serious?