You eat too much.

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/6051/you-eat-too-much/

Most of you know this. Many of you don't. You don't get fat by eating the wrong foods or your genetics or whatever. You get fat by eating too much. End of story.

There are no magic diets. There are no evil nutrients. There are no bad foods. If you achieve and maintain a healthy body composition and exercise regularly you will have basically the best physical health you can have within a margin of maybe a couple of percent.

Take ownership of how much you eat and you will succeed. That's what MFP is all about.

I think you are wrong. I've been watching a lot of documentaries on Netflix these past couple of weeks about food, diet. If you think there are no "bad foods" you are highly mistaken and should do some more research.

"Documentaries" "Research"

596.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Once again, jumping in and saying something that is really unkind. When people have nothing, Walmart seems grand to them. Have a little empathy. May you never be without in your life.

Woah, chill, that was obviously sarcasm.

And pretty damn witty, at that.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Fish. Barrel.

humor. Hildy.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I got addicted to collecting the Mc Donald toys. I wasn't interested in the 'food', and used to give the kid's meal to some poor homeless person.

Like they don't have enough problems... smh

Seriously???

Have you ever seen homeless people dumpster diving for food?

I have. I almost got fired from KFC when I was a teenager. I found a few guys inside our dumpster digging for chicken the chicken we had thrown away. I started handing it out to them out of the drive thru window at night, so that they didn't have to do that.

Was I also contributing to their problems? Do you think they give a rat's *kitten* what they're eating as long as they're eating?

This used to be a real conflict for me. I have a MA in Nutritional Science and personally eat fairly natural. On Sundays I volunteer at a soup kitchen , where I usually cook 300-450 meals from donated food. About 60 % plus is processed stuff, often from chain restaurants where things are often hydrated ( Like " mix this bag with 20 liters of boiling water, stir, add 1 kilo of cream.....and there it is " Caribbean Carrot Cream " . We also get masses of food from industrial diners, because it's close to expiration date. After feeling a lot of conflict and having many discussions with fellow volunteers, I have finally come to accept that clean and nourishing food is the most important aspect of food for the disadvantaged and/or homeless. Often the meal on Sundays is the only warm meal they get all week, or the only full meal.period. If someone wants to make themselves four sandwiches with chewing gum like white bread, with fake cheese and chicken loaf ( made according to the info with " unidentified " chicken parts ) and drench it with the cheapest ketch-up ( made with artificial tomato flavor ) available.....I no longer judge. I have learned that many of the very poor and homeless fight actual hunger and with that low level starvation and cannot afford to worry about nutrition. Having that said, I do have some very plain , home cooked food for those who are vegetarians and a bit more aware. Usually I make 25 portions and they almost never are all used...but given away so the vegetarians have something to eat on Monday. But I must confess that even the vegetarian dishes are cooked for caloric umpf and not for balanced nutrition.
    And yes, I usually log half of the calories I burn during my 12-hour stint as exercise, because it's really hard work in such a big kitchen with those amounts of food.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true. But it is much better to eat a 200 calorie snack of veggies or fruit than a donut. Even if you maintain the same weight because of the calories being the same, your body is not going to be as healthy - you'll have a higher body fat and you'll probably miss out on nutrients. Calories in - calories out is how weight is gained or lost, but there are also the nutrition aspects that should be taken into account.

Yes. But only because donuts are gross, not because of that other stuff you said.

Donuts gross?!?!
    colbert-were-not-friends.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    And yes, I usually log half of the calories I burn during my 12-hour stint as exercise, because it's really hard work in such a big kitchen with those amounts of food.

I mean this with all sincerity - you are a blessing to your community.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I sense a dark fart cloud in this thread. Oh wait....I see why, now. Carry on.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Fish. Barrel.

Hildy, I don't interact with you a lot but reading your posts I have never been your biggest fan. I read one of your blog posts that gave me a lot of empathy towards you and maybe thought I had you wrong. After continued reading and interaction I don't find you to be a very pleasant or nice person.

And this personal dig is related to the thread topic how, exactly?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Fish. Barrel.

Hildy, I don't interact with you a lot but reading your posts I have never been your biggest fan. I read one of your blog posts that gave me a lot of empathy towards you and maybe thought I had you wrong. After continued reading and interaction I don't find you to be a very pleasant or nice person.

And this personal dig is related to the thread topic how, exactly?

Astute obsevation Mr. Knight. It relates about as much as saying homeless people should starve rather than eat McD's or be naked and unclothed rather than shop at Wal Mart.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Fish. Barrel.

Oh that's a shame. And I've always really liked you, too. :( Can't win 'em all.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Once again, jumping in and saying something that is really unkind. When people have nothing, Walmart seems grand to them. Have a little empathy. May you never be without in your life.

no, it really wasn't obvious. Or witty.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fish. Barrel.

Quit trolling then and provide some information to back up your attacks and criticisms.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

The Dr. disagrees.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

The Dr. disagrees.

Mr. Knight please stay on topic.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

The Dr. disagrees.

Mr. Knight please stay on topic.

Settle down, Flyover.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I hear some kiddos are trolling this thread...anybody wanna give me the rundown because I'm not reading all this...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I hear some kiddos are trolling this thread...anybody wanna give me the rundown because I'm not reading all this...
    meh, not worth it.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

B!tches be trippin'.

The end.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

B!tches be trippin'.

The end.

In...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Let me 'splain.

No, there is too much - let me summarize.

Some people think getting fat comes from eating too many calories. Some people think getting fat comes from eating the wrong calories. Some people have poor sense of humour.

All these people came to the same thread, mayhem and hilarity ensued...