"You're still fat"

Options

Replies

• Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have to share something that I have kept secret for a few days.
    For the first time last friday, I actually got to the 4 mile mark during my walk. This was a huge, huge, huge accomplishment for me. All of my MFP friends know that I am about 100 pounds over- weight, but I have been working very hard and I am dedicated to being a better me. I am down 15 pounds and will probably hit 16 this week. With that said, I was at the end of my walk last Friday and I turned around to head back home. I came to a stop light. While at the stop light, I didn’t want my heart rate to drop, so I did a slow jog. I am not the most graceful person and I know that I am a sight to see when trying to run. But I was doing my best and I was proud of myself. While I was waiting at the light, a car full of cute “skinny” girls pulled up to the stop light. They rolled the windows down and made an effort to make sure I knew they were laughing at me. When the light turned green and they began to drive off, the person closest to me yelled, “You’re still fat”. I immediately stopped in my tracks and slumped over in sadness. How could people that I don’t even know steal my joy? How could people that I don’t even know be so cruel? Why did they even care? Why make the effort to go out of their way to be hurtful? I just don’t understand. This incident didn’t deter me. I am still just as focused on my goals as ever. But I can’t deny that it had an effect on me. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I said to myself, “you ARE still fat”. Sometimes the truth hurts. I obviously have a weight problem. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be doing this. But it is amazing how words either positive or negative can change your outlook. I don’t know what my point is here. I just want everyone to know that when you say “good job” or “you can do it”, it means more to me than you will ever know. Words are powerful. I won’t drop a bunch of cliché’s and antidotes in this situation because you probably have heard them all. I wasn’t even going to mention this to my MFP community, but I decided that getting it out would allow me to move on. I found a great quote. See below and be nice to each other. =0)

“Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” ~Shirley MacLaine
    My eyes are full of tears. I posted this story because I wanted to get it off of my chest. I was so scared that their evil words would on some level derail my weight loss attempt. Posting the story was just to "release" so that I could move on. I never, never could have anticipated the level of love and support and encouragement that I have received today. I am doing my best not to break into a full belly cry. My husband already can't understand what is going on and why the computer is making me tear up. I simply can't thank you enough for your encouragement. Because of all of you, I can and WILL do this. I will make my 100 pound goal. I love all of you and I don't even know you. God bless you all and thank you so much. This website is one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. thank you, thank you, thank you. I have printed every single one of these responses and put them in my diet book. I will read them every day when I need motivation.

To the person who sent me the youtube link to JayZ- I am adding that to my playlist TODAY. And to the multiple people who sent me the wonderful letter - I am printing the letter and hanging it on my mirror. To everyone else, just thank you. If you sent me a friend request, I have accepted and I will be the best friend and the most supportive friend that I know how to be. God bless you all again.
  • blue_eyez2u
    Options
    You can do it. I know it hurt but look at it as ..... Hey i'm doing something about it and I know I am getting there the safe and healthy way!
  • tataylllor
    tataylllor Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Dont listen to them, just keep trying your best and you will reach your goal!!! Also congratulations on your accomplishment!! Keep it up!!
  • stephicozar
    stephicozar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Go you!!

I'd like to see them get up and walk 4 miles.
    14122 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are fabulous and strong!
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    The thing is they probably think THEY are fat. Young girls today have a terrible body image and no one respects them so like others have said Karma happens and so does menopause.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If its not in your playlist already, add it and crank it! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz_-VaTHpc8).

"Get, that, dirt off your shoulder"

Love it.

Also, I agree with the person who said it's always gonna be something. If you're overweight they will call you fat. If you're skinny someone will yell that you should eat a cheeseburger. My friend was walking with her 7 yr old son and baby niece in a stroller and someone screamed out of their car at her "F-ing stupid b
    soccer mom!" and threw a fast food cup at her.

In my defense, I was drunk . . .
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I agree with everything everyone has written - why would anyone feel the need to shout something like that out?? It baffles me!! But, good on you!! I LOVE your positive attitude.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I pity them. Either their mothers didn't care enough to raise them adequately, or were not present to do so. Both are pitiful scenarios, and one can only hope they remember this day with remorse.

You, however, are a freaking rock star. Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    They can only steel your joy if you let them. Dont youre improving all the time- are they?
  • mom9198
    mom9198 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Way to keep on with your goals in spite of cruel, insensitivity. You are doing awesome. Mean people will get their's at some point. You are a rock star!:flowerforyou:
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Screw them! Remember, everyone has to start somewhere! And we are not trying to be skinny. WE WANT TO BE HEALTHY!!!
    kid-deal.gif
  • kimlynn919
    kimlynn919 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    wow, that is awful!! that reminds me of junior high. the summer between 6th and 7th grade I went from 185 to 137 and went from a size 18 to a size 7/8...i was still made fun of for being fat...now ive had to start from a bigger place than i ever was and im about 15 lbs down and, although there are still critics, i have a lot of awesome support out there! Just keep plugging away, its what i intend to do!!
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Your doing great. I know lots of skinny people that couldn't do 4 miles. I was always told if someone makes fun of you its because they are jealous of you. Get healthy be fit remember you the only person you have to please is yourself dont let anyone steal your happiness.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    you are an AMAZING person, no matter what anyone else says about you. Don't give them the power to ruin your smile and motivation. The world is a cruel cruel place and would rather see you shattered and bloody than happy and healthy. Just know everyone on MFP in this thread and others who have not read this yet, have your back and will always be here for you to help you! You keep pushing to be a healthier you and I hope someday you can be a helping hand for another individual and choose better than what they chose to do to you!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you, and you are doing great! They probably aren't happy with themselves if they feel compelled to be cruel to strangers who did nothing to them. Happy people who like their lives don't behave that way.
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that happened to you. I was bullied myself as a child and throughout my teenage years by people just like this. One of the things that I have come to realize is just how insecure these type of people are. I is pretty sad that they have to feel better about themselves by putting others down. Now that I am older most of the time I just feel sorry for them, and yes karma will get them in the end. You are doing amazing and a wonderful person. Hang in there and you can do this. The person that said we are doing this to be healthy not skinny is correct. I know some pretty unhealthy skinny people. Friend request sent. :)
  • LouiseChe
    LouiseChe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know how this feels, and I so admire your courage in posting this. I had a very similar thing happen to me a about 5 years ago but I was never brave enough to tell anyone. I was coming home from the gym and a car load of young (probably 16ish year olds) rolled down the windows and yelled things at me. When they drove off, they mooed out the window. I walked home in tears and never went back to the gym. I always hated that I did that.

Don't let it get to you! People can be cruel and insensitive, but I've found things always swing in roundabouts. They'll get theirs someday.

Keep going! You should be so proud of what you have accomplished and of your courage to post this. xo
  • SomeWhatTwisted
    Options
    Being overweight is the most humbling experience a person can go through, and for those that have never experienced what it feels like to be 100 pounds overweight they would never truly understand the shame and humiliation that go's along with it. Have joy in the fact that you are doing one of the hardest things a person can do, just stick up your middle finger and keep walking.
  • Gillibeech
    Gillibeech Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What can I add! You're doing great, keep it up! Be proud of your achievement, every journey starts with the first step, and you're well on your way!