Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Guess how many hours per week of exercise went into this:

yummy hours is my answer.

Indeed. I spend more time in McD's and Taco Bell every week than the gym.

I just realized that, and think it's hilarious.

lies. has never been in me. (but after those pics idk?)
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've already proved that more of her life has been dedicated to fitness than was portrayed by quotes at the start of this thread.

She achieved it by spending about an hour working out 5 times a week.

Or are you saying that's the part that's a lie?

No, I do not believe that only one hour a day working out is what she has done her whole life. That's what she does now. But it doesn't address how long that has been her regiment. Since before the kids? Only after the kids? What was her life like when she battled bulimia? There's just too much information missing.

Who cares about "her whole life"?

You can achieve that body working out one hour a day, 5 days a week.

That's the entire point of all of this.

You can look like her, with just a few hours a week.

The question is: why don't you?

Hmm? Because I don't want to.

I like being pale. And childless. And watching TV once in a while. And being soft and round. I have no desire to be a fitness model or post my picture on the internet and become a national fitspiration.

I'm cool with who I am and how I treat my journey to lose weight. This picture was posted and the OP asked for people's opinions on it. I gave mine. What's your excuse for wanting me to change my opinion?
  • shawnpcorreia
    Options
    I believe what most believe. HATERZ! This women is not even implying that YOU should nlook like her! Her only point is that with all of her personal challenges she was able to achieve what she wanted. What do you want? If you want to look like her than What's your excuse? If you don't than look elsewhere. That is all. Victimizing....pffft SMH!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've already proved that more of her life has been dedicated to fitness than was portrayed by quotes at the start of this thread.

No, I do not believe that only one hour a day working out is what she has done her whole life. That's what she does now. But it doesn't address how long that has been her regiment. Since before the kids? Only after the kids? What was her life like when she battled bulimia? There's just too much information missing.

I like being pale. And childless. And watching TV once in a while. And being soft and round. I have no desire to be a fitness model or post my picture on the internet and become a national fitspiration.

I'm cool with who I am and how I treat my journey to lose weight. This picture was posted and the OP asked for people's opinions on it. I gave mine. What's your excuse for wanting me to change my opinion?

No one is arguing about your opinion. They are arguing about your need to try to breakdown someone's success by making claims that she's lying about her past, methods, whether she has help or not, her free time, etc.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i want to give that lady a 4th baby
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump to finish reading later.....unless this thread is deleted by then (sigh)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Huh? I was talking about myself.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Huh? I was talking about myself.

Take a look at her username. :wink:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Uh, OK?

It appears you need to tear down people infinitely more successful than yourself in order to justify your desire to be "soft and round."
  • ThinLizzie0802
    Options

No one is arguing about your opinion. They are arguing about your need to try to breakdown someone's success by making claims that she's lying about her past, methods, whether she has help or not, her free time, etc.

For pity's sake. Not believing all her claims does not not negate that she looks good and was successful in her goals.
    She clearly has achieved a desired physique and worked hard for it.

That isn't bashing success. That's taking internet sensationalism for what it is.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    Options

Uh, OK?

It appears you need to tear down people infinitely more successful than yourself in order to justify your desire to be "soft and round."

You are a sad, sad man.

I never tore down her success. I said I don't believe it happened the way it is being portrayed. That doesn't negate her success. I'm starting to think you don't know how to read or just like to fight on the internet. You just really stomp your feet when people don't agree with you 100%. You're starting to bore me with your broken record stance. Vacating this thread because clearly having your own opinion is frowned upon.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's implying that everyone should look like her. The first issue is that not everyone wants to look like her. The second is that not every body type can look like that. The third is that there are people with actual physical issues that make looking like that a hell of a lot harder than it is for other people. Not everyone has the time time or money to devote to getting that body after 3 babies in 3 years.
    Also, let's not forget that the majority of pics on out there are photoshopped. I doubt she actually looks quite like that. Not a single stretch mark?. That is every woman's dream.
    It's shaming to women who don't look like her which isn't motivational to a lot of women. It's actually counter productive to many who know they can't attain perfect bodies or beauty. They look at the digitally enhanced images and ask themselves "why bother?".

Not everyone gets stretch marks from pregnancy.
  • jonnythan
    Options

For pity's sake. Not believing all her claims does not not negate that she looks good and was successful in her goals.

That isn't bashing success. That's taking internet sensationalism for what it is.

Did you see my pic on the previous page?

1 hour 3 times a week. That's it.

I literally spend more time each week in fast food joints than I do in a gym.

So tell me again what's sensationalist about the fact that she achieved her body working out 1 hour a day, 5 times a week?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    "Kang, of Sacramento, California, is a former pageant queen and fitness competitor who founded the nonprofit Fitness Without Borders in 2007. She's also a recovering bulimic."

No, she is not your average "stay-at-home" mom. She already had a serious fitness background prior to having kids.

"Kang says she works out five to six days a week, about an hour at a time, doing a half-hour of strength training and a half-hour of cardio — running, the stair climber, or a spin or Zumba class"

She did not achieve that physique by only doing an hour at a time. That is maintenance for her. She achieved this body prior to children while preparing for pageants and fitness competitions. This alone makes it more likely for her to continue having this body after having children.

I don't think this is controversial, but I don't agree that this is achievable for all women. People are ignoring the facts I posted above which came directly from an interview done with her.

An hour a day 5-6 days a week is more time than is necessary to achieve that physique.

Continue to ignore the fact that she trained for fitness competitions and pageants prior to having children. I'm sure that was for more than an hour a day.

Once again, that is not the life of most women.

unfortunately, the life of most women SHOULD include healthy eating and consistent physical activity and the fact that is usually doesnt is a sad reality we are fighting against.

I work 11 and 12 hour days all the time, plus an almost 2 hour commute, plus i lost a hundred pounds and have tons of physical setbacks that i have to work against or around, plus a booming social life and tons of personal projects. I make the effort to workout regularly because I care about my health and i care about it more than just in a 'am i there yet, can i stop now' way.

Well obviously you are missing a few other components in your life that this ad is directed at- like a brood of kiddos and a post-pregnancy body after 8 months. You admit it took you 5 years to get where you are - then you disagree with others who are on their journey working just as hard but have not had 5 years to complete it yet.

No I didnt. I'm not even complete yet. Maybe I dont have kids - but that doesnt mean i dont have other things taking up my time. being a mother is not the be all end all of taxing time consuming activities - ESPECIALLY because having kids is what YOU wanted to do. Its not an affliction - thats a horrible thing to imply!!!!! Some people CANT have kids, ya know.

And it took me five years because I wanted to go as slowly as possible because i dont think that losing 100 pounds very fast is a good idea. And whereas she has kids and I dont, i got smeared across the highway by an 18 wheeler and she didnt.

As I said in my post that you said "NO" to - under certain circumstances you can look like her 8 months post delivery. However, most people do not have those circumstances. I also work out as many days as she says she does - 6 hours a week minimum and 35 months post delivery of baby#4 I don't look like that - but that doesn't mean I am not trying or my reality is not legitimate. Get real.

You get real. That was rude. She didnt say jack about looking like her.

She asked what your excuses are for not having the best body you can have if you are busy and stuff. YOU work out all the time - YOU ARE getting the best body you can get. So why are YOU twisted up over this? You should be patting yourself on the back instead of defending people who are too lazy to do anything more than talk about all the reasons that they cant try hard. Which, im pretty sure, is NOT a lot of people on MFP - since EVERYONE on MFP is already doing EVERYTHING in their power to get their individual ideal bodies. So stop telling me that you cant look like her, because we both know that you arent supposed to.
    We are all trying to improve- as I said in my earlier post - you need the time to do this (which I make) and you need to start where she started- which I did not. So I have longer to get there. I imagine it is not hard to cut back on your social life to find time for the gym and healthy cooking. Try keeping 5 other people alive and thriving and working your hours and getting there in 1/3 of the time it took you to get to your goal...oh wait - you didn't do that. But yet you judge...

Im not judging - oh my god - this is so twisted.

I LOVE THIS AD. I agree with this ad. I think there is no excuse for ignoring your health. Its probably because I actually had to fight for my health and my life - and at least I would never tell other people that they have to look like someone else.

The only thing I have advocated here is doing whatever you can to get the best body you can possibly have. YOUR best body. NO ONE ELSE's.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm coming into this late, and probably shouldn't be posting at all. But I'm a glutton for punishment, so...

There is a big difference between having other priorities and making excuses. If you decide that talking with your friends for an hour is more important than working out, fine. If you decide having ice cream with your kids is more important that hitting your calorie goal, then fine. As a single father, I weight those decisions all the time. Most of my training-related goals oppose my family goals which oppose my career goals (as one takes time away from the other two), so there is a constant balancing act going on. Sometimes I chose to eat "crappy" food with my kids. Sometimes I don't.

Own your decisions and your priorities. Don't ***** people because of them.

Could I squat 3*BW? Probably. Could I get down to 8% body fat? Probably. But I'm not willing to do what it takes to get there, to have that type of discipline and dedication. I have different priorities. And I'm fine with that.

Lastly, not every though you have needs to go on facebook or wherever. Sometimes it's fine just congratulate someone on their accomplishment, or *gasp* just keep your damn mouth shut. Not everything is an attack/insult.
    AMEN

This^. I decided my priorities after this pregnancy were nursing full time straight from the source as long as possible and giving my body time to see if the healing from my former life changing surgery "took", then getting extra things done post nursing which required drugs and more surgery. First pregnancy I decided c section heal time frame allowed me to make fitness and education priorities so i was fit within months. Different strokes for different folks or even the same folk at different times.

I was happy with both decisions and experiences.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You are a sad, sad man.

I never tore down her success. I said I don't believe it happened the way it is being portrayed. That doesn't negate her success. I'm starting to think you don't know how to read or just like to fight on the internet. You just really stomp your feet when people don't agree with you 100%. You're starting to bore me with your broken record stance. Vacating this thread because clearly having your own opinion is frowned upon.

I consider calling an extremely successful person a liar is an attempt to tear down her success, yes.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

JSF
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Her fitness background and story:
    http://www.mariakang.com/category/fitness/
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Right. I always go into success threads and ask them if they had eating disorders...because that wouldn't be bashing them, right? So does that also mean everyone in the Fitspo thread should put disclaimers beneath their pictures so that they won't be misleading people into thinking that they too can achieve great results?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Meh, let the excuse makers continue to make excuses. Meanwhile, I will put in the blood, sweat, and dedication to achieve my goals and beyond.