Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So I went and took a look at the photo in OP one more time and yeah, it still bugs me. Something about it. Too in your facey. Since I am not the most Facebookey person in the world I decided to try the link to her site first and also it's first on the pic so must be her preference hoping to find some of this "context" that would make the picture more understandable.

I have to admit though, I don't really get the website? Is it a blog? There's a store. Overall I'm not sure I understand her motives completely. Maybe I would have to see the FB page to get it but honestly I have things to do now and not sure I will be interested later. For now the brief clicks on her site just seemed kind of "look at me" and like a glimpse in the life of someone. Who?... I'm not sure. Some random hottie with 3 kids? An author of something? A seller of something. Out of time. So who knows.

ETA: kinda more sad I'm gonna miss the roll on this thread. someone please make it a good one :wink:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I'm sorry no one seems to be supporting your viewpoint. I understand where you are coming from.

The pressure, which is still mainly on women, to look good gets greater and greater, and not everyone can look as beautiful as her or have the same physique/build.

Maybe we should picture a fit handsome man with a huge package and say 'what's your excuse' to all the men. Then they can feel inferior for a moment. Yeah, I know we are free to reject that feeling of inferiority but the emotional sting is still there. You're not good enough if you don't look like a model/movie star is the message.

I'm glad for the lady and I'm sure her kids are being raised with a healthy lifestyle, which is a great thing. Just do it without the taunting message and I think everyone would be happier.

happiness is a personal choice, so...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    This thread has me crazy motivated. I cannot wait to hit the gym.

I ate a chocolate bar while reading this. But I'll do some burpees and it'll be aiiiiiiiigght

I might have a burger tonight, so its cool

I had one of these for breakfast.
    40100110_9728.jpg

... and another one for lunch. At least it's chicken sausage
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I smile when I see moms like that.
  • 820Resa
    820Resa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This might just be the craziest and most active thread I've experienced on MFP...

With that said, I think the picture and caption are great. I don't think she is saying you should or even can look like her, whether 8 moths or 8 years post baby, but is actually saying YOU CAN DO IT! Whatever your "IT" is. If everyone would just stop always trying to see the negative or "offensive" connotation in everything everyone would be so much happier and probably a heck of a lot more successful in their personal ventures, including weightloss and overall fitness.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I dunno... Looks perfectly fine to me..
    Options
    So I went and took a look at the photo in OP one more time and yeah, it still bugs me. Something about it. Too in your facey. Since I am not the most Facebookey person in the world I decided to try the link to her site first and also it's first on the pic so must be her preference hoping to find some of this "context" that would make the picture more understandable.

I have to admit though, I don't really get the website? Is it a blog? There's a store. Overall I'm not sure I understand her motives completely. Maybe I would have to see the FB page to get it but honestly I have things to do now and not sure I will be interested later. For now the brief clicks on her site just seemed kind of "look at me" and like a glimpse in the life of someone. Who?... I'm not sure. Some random hottie with 3 kids? An author of something? A seller of something. Out of time. So who knows.

ETA: kinda more sad I'm gonna miss the roll on this thread. someone please make it a good one :wink:

my "guess" is the page is to try to help encourage and inspire others to live a healthier lifestyle. She came from a background not like too many others and wants to share her story in order to help others. Its not easy opening up about that kind of past, because many people don't get or accept it. But, those willing to share that type of story touch more people than people are aware of.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I agree with this - if you get to workout for a living - then this could be you. If you are a SAHM with a gym with daycare- this could be you. If you work full-time have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a husband - THIS IS NOT YOU. I don't know anyone who looks like this under those circumstances. But I get better everyday. I don't hate her - maybe I wish I had her time though...
    If we're going to speak anecdotes, then I have 4 female clients that practically fit the full time, multiple kids, pets and husband criteria that do look like her.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Your 4 clients look like her 8 months after delivery of her 3rd kid in 3 years? Everything takes time - the thing that is most unusual about her is the timing - I couldn't even work out while breastfeeding - it just hurt too much so I didn't go back to the gym until I stopped after the baby was a year old. Its not like this is not possible- it so is. Its just so amazing after 8 months and only under certain circumstances would it be possible after 8 months. Not everyone could do it - not for lack of desire or motivation or even hard work -but physically.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Eh, I find the whole, "I have kids... KIDS! NOTHING you do can be as hard as what I do!" mentality annoying, self-righteous, and just plain stupid.

There are plenty of people who have better "excuses" than a couple of kids.

I just cringe at the juxtaposition of those 3 cute faces next to the word "excuse". That was another part of the pic that didn't sit well with me. I'd hate to think when I walk around all fat there's some fit mom looking at me and my kid and thinking of him as an "excuse". Kinda like when people call kids a "mistake". They're kids. Entire beings. Not tools, pawns, photo props, excuses, mistakes or any other thing. They grow up one day and learn to read, logon, and etc. Be careful what you put down for posterity regarding your kids.

Why would anybody thing about YOU and look at you? The fit mom's are probably too busy to care about anybody else - don't project your personal insecurities on somebody else.....And any kid would be proud to have a picture of him and his mom and brothers like that one.....
    And she did not call her kids "excuses" - other people use having kids and being busy with kids excuses.... You are again projecting YOUR ideas on a simple photo...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    IBTR...

...but just barely.

If MFP forums had a little flame icon for threads that were really active...

...this would have one.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I agree with this - if you get to workout for a living - then this could be you. If you are a SAHM with a gym with daycare- this could be you. If you work full-time have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a husband - THIS IS NOT YOU. I don't know anyone who looks like this under those circumstances. But I get better everyday. I don't hate her - maybe I wish I had her time though...
    If we're going to speak anecdotes, then I have 4 female clients that practically fit the full time, multiple kids, pets and husband criteria that do look like her.

IDEA Fitness member
    Your 4 clients look like her 8 months after delivery of her 3rd kid in 3 years? Everything takes time - the thing that is most unusual about her is the timing - I couldn't even work out while breastfeeding - it just hurt too much so I didn't go back to the gym until I stopped after the baby was a year old. Its not like this is not possible- it so is. Its just so amazing after 8 months and only under certain circumstances would it be possible after 8 months. Not everyone could do it - not for lack of desire or motivation or even hard work -but physically.

And?
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

that's quite the generalization. For YOU, maybe YOU could not work out, but that does not mean every single mom can't or couldn't.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Then take your time or JSF.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much of the negative responses are due, at least in part, to the current marketing trends.

You're too fat, buy our product.
    Your penis is too small, buy our product.
    Your hair is too thin, buy our product.
    Your skin is too wrinkled, buy our product.
    etc etc

So many products/ads target our insecurities.
    So many people are sensitive/insecure/defensive.
    Coincidence? I dunno, just something that went through my head. Maybe it's just the world we live in.

But I go back to what I said before - not everything is an attack. Not everything is an insult. Not everything is a shot at something about you. Not everything is about you.

I've looked at the pic a few times now, and never once did it occur to me that it was directed AT me. It was a woman who has accomplished a lot. Period. And I have a ton of respect for her. Not because she "overcame having kids" or any other bull****. But because she managed to balance and prioritize things in a way that allowed her to be successful.

She should be congratulated, not ridiculed.

• _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm going with its the "Mommy Wars" in which women are more than happy to tear each other apart Its like saying, its not enough to be a mom of of 1, 2 or 3 kids, work full time, etc, you have to now have an amazing body within 8 months of giving birth.

I find this motivational and true, but there are a lot of insecurities and women's bodies, especially after children have always been a controversial topic.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Everyone can achieve it. The 8 month thing is your addition.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I never met any obese people who have excuses. we dont need to explain ourselves to any of you. We don't owe you anything.
    Options
    I wonder how much of the negative responses are due, at least in part, to the current marketing trends.

You're too fat, buy our product.
    Your penis is too small, buy our product.
    Your hair is too thin, buy our product.
    Your skin is too wrinkled, buy our product.
    etc etc

So many products/ads target our insecurities.
    So many people are sensitive/insecure/defensive.
    Coincidence? I dunno, just something that went through my head. Maybe it's just the world we live in.

But I go back to what I said before - not everything is an attack. Not everything is an insult. Not everything is a shot at something about you. Not everything is about you.

I've looked at the pic a few times now, and never once did it occur to me that it was directed AT me. It was a woman who has accomplished a lot. Period. And I have a ton of respect for her. Not because she "overcame having kids" or any other bull****. But because she managed to balance and prioritize things in a way that allowed her to be successful.

She should be congratulated, not ridiculed.

:heart:
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    I would like to know the shape she was in before her pregnancy, how much she gained with her last pregnancy and what routine she's doing. Some people gain a lot during pregnancy, despite being active while others do not. I was in the healthy range before my son and came out obese after I had him. I was prohibited from exercising a few months before and for a few months after. I'm now trying to get on track and want to be in that shape. Would love to know her routine, rather than just a picture (it may be available though, not sure).

Anyway, I don't see why it's controversial, I just wish there was more information to help the motivation be utilized :P
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

that's quite the generalization. For YOU, maybe YOU could not work out, but that does not mean every single mom can't or couldn't.

I am very overweight, just had my third c-section May 29. I was lifting weights 2 months later. This is my third child, I ave a dog and a cat, a husband, full time job out of the home. Yeah, I don't look at all like her, but I could