Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't know why its controversial. maybe if people spent more time working out and less time arguing over the photo they'd probably get the positive meaning of the picture.
  • buttonsf
    buttonsf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didnt find it offensiive even though i'm overweeight (right now anyway) and even when in shape I don't wear that type of clothes in public. it's her choice and i'm not here to judge her.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how people can have some negative to say about this woman.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I never met any obese people who have excuses. we dont need to explain ourselves to any of you. We don't owe you anything.

Cannot tell if srs.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry no one seems to be supporting your viewpoint. I understand where you are coming from.

The pressure, which is still mainly on women, to look good gets greater and greater, and not everyone can look as beautiful as her or have the same physique/build.

Maybe we should picture a fit handsome man with a huge package and say 'what's your excuse' to all the men. Then they can feel inferior for a moment. Yeah, I know we are free to reject that feeling of inferiority but the emotional sting is still there. You're not good enough if you don't look like a model/movie star is the message.

I'm glad for the lady and I'm sure her kids are being raised with a healthy lifestyle, which is a great thing. Just do it without the taunting message and I think everyone would be happier.

That would be cute - except that NONE of the men here are insulting, shaming or putting pressure on ANY woman in this thread or in the original post - so it would unnecessary to attack them in that manner. at all. like ever.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    They hate because it is a hard reminder that the excuses they are making are not valid. People hate to think something is their own fault.

^^This... QFT...

I am in marketing, and we study the hell out of how to push people's buttons and get them to buy buy buy. One of the most common and effective tactics is to tell the prospective buyer that it isn't their fault...

"Have you tried every diet but still aren't losing weight? It's not your fault, because ________."

This often leads into blaming the problem on somebody else.

It creates a victim-hood mentality and offers to both solve the problem and stick it to the scape goat by buying some product or idea and the more of their products or ideas you buy the more "freedom" you get from your own responsibilities.

"Are you unhealthy? It's not your fault, because sugar is evil and Big Ag/Sugar is putting HFCS in all your food. But now you can enjoy sweet food again and be healthier with new blah blah artificial sweetener."

"Are you sick? It's not you're fault, because Big Pharma blah blah blah but now you can buy our all natural herbal blah blah blah"

"Are you poor? It's not you're fault, because Big Banks/Corps blah blah blah but now you can buy our how to make money blah blah blah"

It typically boils down to it's not YOUR fault, you're perfect, but THEY lied to you, put poison in your food, ripped you off, etc, and it's so much easier to believe this than actually take responsibility for your own actions.

Personally I avoid this tactic, but I see it being used more and more.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You can tell her kids are not by the same man.

I didn't notice this when I first looked at the picture...

...probably because I was admiring what she had accomplished with her body (since that's presumably the point of this thread).
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it's so much what she has or hasn't accomplished, or how great she looks. It's the words "whats your excuse" --- that is why people ridicule. Those words put out like that make it an attack to some people who read it. If those words weren't there then most likely it wouldn't be a big deal. Putting something out there that basically challenges other women/mothers/maybe even men, in saying that "if I can do it so can you" is going to get some bad responses. If she wanted to be motivational, why not show some before and after pics, or pick a different slogan. Not every mom (fit or unfit, trying or not) is going to or can look like that, no matter how hard they work at it. It all has to do with age, genetics, skin (some women have the mommy pouch forever even if they are fit), etc.
  • whierd
    Options
    I would like to know the shape she was in before her pregnancy, how much she gained with her last pregnancy and what routine she's doing. Some people gain a lot during pregnancy, despite being active while others do not. I was in the healthy range before my son and came out obese after I had him. I was prohibited from exercising a few months before and for a few months after. I'm now trying to get on track and want to be in that shape. Would love to know her routine, rather than just a picture (it may be available though, not sure).

Anyway, I don't see why it's controversial, I just wish there was more information to help the motivation be utilized :P

180lbs, works out for an hour 4x per week. 30 min strength training and 30 min of cardio.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    obese people love having excuses as to why they are fat. one of them is that they have to take care of their children. so when the see a mom of 3 that looks like that they have to attack her rather than look inward.

Thissssss.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    This thread has me crazy motivated. I cannot wait to hit the gym.

I ate a chocolate bar while reading this. But I'll do some burpees and it'll be aiiiiiiiigght

I might have a burger tonight, so its cool

I had one of these for breakfast.
    40100110_9728.jpg

... and another one for lunch. At least it's chicken sausage

i had a chicken sausage breakfast burrito!! apple chicken sausage OMNOMNOM - i think apple chickens are a genetic alteration though, so not mentioning in the clean eating/paleo areas cause triggers.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Rolls are delicious.
  • buttonsf
    buttonsf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    Everyone can achieve it. The 8 month thing is your addition.

I think the other poster is getting the "8 month thing" from the photo... the oldest chld is 3yo and the youngest is 8month old... so obviously she looks like that 8months afterr havingi 3 children in 3yrs.
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm sorry no one seems to be supporting your viewpoint. I understand where you are coming from.

The pressure, which is still mainly on women, to look good gets greater and greater, and not everyone can look as beautiful as her or have the same physique/build.

Maybe we should picture a fit handsome man with a huge package and say 'what's your excuse' to all the men. Then they can feel inferior for a moment. Yeah, I know we are free to reject that feeling of inferiority but the emotional sting is still there. You're not good enough if you don't look like a model/movie star is the message.

I'm glad for the lady and I'm sure her kids are being raised with a healthy lifestyle, which is a great thing. Just do it without the taunting message and I think everyone would be happier.

That would be cute - except that NONE of the men here are insulting, shaming or putting pressure on ANY woman in this thread or in the original post - so it would unnecessary to attack them in that manner. at all. like ever.

Also, the focus isn't on her genitalia, it is on her fitness level. So it wasn't even a proper comparison.

First!
  • whierd
    Options
    In for more whining and excuses from unsuccessful people.

I love it and am thankful for it. Reminds me of who I don't want to be.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I never met any obese people who have excuses. we dont need to explain ourselves to any of you. We don't owe you anything.

My sarcasmometer didn't go off on this one...

...which means either you're serious...

...or I need to have this usually remarkably accurate piece of expensive machinery recalibrated.

Which is it?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Fit mom is fit, doesn't use children, work, or disabled husband as excuse.

Other mommies/fatties (Yeah, I said fatties) get mad and pull out a whole lot of reasons to discredit said fit mom

She must not have gained any real weight while preggo. She must have nannies/help. She must be neglecting her kids. She must be lying about he amount of work she puts in. She's victimizing women. She's trying to tell me I have to look like her! Well after I had MY baby I couldn't have thisthatandthethird.

And it all boils down to even in a thread where someone is saying "Don't make excuses, just do!" people are still making excuses.

Did I miss anything?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    In for more whining and excuses from unsuccessful people.

Ah. Now I don't have to read the original thread.

Thanks.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    You can tell her kids are not by the same man.

this is a disgusting attack. She explains why the kids don't all look alike. They look like a mix of herself and her husband. Cheese whiz, people. Any reason to attack someone else... ridiculous.

ETA: even if they were kids from different dads, who CARES?!? That does not take away from the obvious hard work she put in living a healthy lifestyle.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    So, to sum it all up

Fit mom is fit, doesn't use children, work, or disabled husband as excuse.

Other mommies/fatties (Yeah, I said fatties) get mad and pull out a whole lot of reasons to discredit said fit mom

She must not have gained any real weight while preggo. She must have nannies/help. She must be neglecting her kids. She must be lying about he amount of work she puts in. She's victimizing women. She's trying to tell me I have to look like her! Well after I had MY baby I couldn't have thisthatandthethird.

And it all boils down to even in a thread where someone is saying "Don't make excuses, just do!" people are still making excuses.

Did I miss anything?
    And Jared has aides. :laugh: