diet sadness

Options

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I can eat whatever I want, I just choose not to today. I'm confident that there will be plenty of junk food available tomorrow if I choose to eat it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how you can burn 1,000 calories in a day?

I can burn 1000+ calories in about 1.5 hours of cycling. I just have to be working very hard in that time. I ride up hill a lot, even found a route near my home that allows me to ride uphill, both ways. Not kidding.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have, but I can't bear the thought of wolfing down food anymore because it would only remind me of all the times I shoved food in my mouth in an attempt to stop a certain feeling. I abused my body with too much food and I don't miss the stomachaches and being kept awake at night with anxiety caused by indigestion. I don't miss the shame I felt at being out of control.

I am proud of myself that I have learned how to include my favorite foods and unlearned so many of those terrible "rules" I picked up from so many dieting attempts. (I sometimes still find myself feeling guilty about eating a whole banana, because when I lost weight with Weight Watchers you were restricted to just 2 Fruits per day - I didn't want to run out of Fruit with the first meal of the day!)

Each time I have a challenging situation, I gain more confidence that YES, I can eat this way for the rest of my life and not be deprived. I don't consider this a diet - at least not in the usual connotation of something you go on for a period of time and then go off when you reach your goal. This is my eating plan, or my menus or just my life :wink:
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I don't like Diet Sadness. I prefer the full-calorie version. :laugh:
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I used to, but as my body gets used to the healthy food, I don't miss all the bad stuff so much. I still indulge once in a while, but I make sure to only eat my favorite unhealthy things because they're worth it. And if you eat your favorite indulgences less often, they feel more special when you do eat them!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Actually, I am not sad about my eating. I eat in a way that satisfies my physical and emotional needs. Everything I eat is delicious and I savor it a lot more than when I was mindlessly eating. My feet and knees don't hurt; I have enough energy to make it through the day. And I'm the same size I was 40 years ago when I was in college. What reason would I have to be sad?
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    Yes, I still sometimes feel sad but I find that my sadness isn't food related... I just wished I could eat to fill another void in my life but in the end I've come to realize that it would only make me fat again and still not satisfy my real needs. Nonetheless, if I have yummy food available, of course I wished I could eat it all, like donuts and candy bars... I wished I could eat them and not care one second but I don't have an active enough lifestyle to allow myself such a thing!
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. The amount I need to eat at this weight to lose is pretty unsatisfying, especially on days when I don't workout. Like today, for example. I literally didn't have enough calories to fit a 40 calorie yogurt popsicle into my day. How sad is that? It's sad that I had to refuse the cookie one of my students tried to give me today, even though my lunch was only 370 calories. I was still hungry, but if I go over my calories even a little at this weight, I will maintain and not lose. Pretty much any day I drink more than one (even low-cal) alcoholic beverage, I will be over my goal. I've had such a hard time losing the last 5 pounds that I've even found myself reconsidering putting 5 calorie mustard on my sandwich. Losing this last 5 means cutting calories every little opportunity I can. I had a 320 calorie can of lentil soup sitting on my shelf for weeks because I usually don't have more than 250 calories left for my last small meal. I just went on vacation and let myself splurge a little and have some treats for a few days, and I was able to maintain, which is nice, but losing weight this close to my goal does require deprivation, and yes, it makes me sad.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how you can burn 1,000 calories in a day?

I have a gym in my house.
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    Would LOVE to eat like I use to back 15 years ago. I feel micro seconds of sadness from time to time but I think about the consequences and reality sinks in. Keep your goals in mind and hopefully won't have too many sad moments.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What I want to do

tumblr_mn40ttI5Qg1rjlst5o1_500.gif

Finally, some honesty, LOL!!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Everything I eat is delicious and I savor it a lot more than when I was mindlessly eating.

I agree with this. OP, just try to focus on the food you are eating,and savor it, remembering that that 3rd or 4th slice of pizza is going to make you fat, and also make you not feel too good afterwards.

Good luck, it's tough to lose weight!
  • karijoeide
    Options
    Yes and no, the way I handle things is if I want something that is bad for me, I have it, one serving...that is it. I will then put it away in serving size containers/bags etc, If I want one daily I have one daily, that way I don't feel like I am missing out and it doesn't throw me off track. Another way I deal with things like that is if I KNOW I will not have self control, I just don't make it or buy it...I truly don't miss it that way. :)
  • tech_hunter
    tech_hunter Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I get sad about not having any amount of chocolate or ice cream I want, but then I try to remember my old size, and I look in a window or mirror and realize again that I am a size 10 and going down.

What I get sad about is that wheat will give me a 3 day pounding migraine, so I really miss just having a good piece of rosemary foccacia dipped in oil and vinegar, or a really good piece of homemade cake or something.

I found a remedy for this though, a recipe for some awesome paleo waffles, that I will have once a month/6 weeks.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just gotte be honest with yourself and look to see what roles food fills in your life. The old "eat to live, not live to eat" adage should always ring true imo.

Do I miss wolfing down pizza with friends? Going for drinks and apps? Or stuffing my face with family at the holidays? Absolutely!! Is is due to actually needing the nutrition/food energy though?? Not a chance!! I lament the lifestyle/social changes more than anything as I think most people do as well on this journey.

As many people have said, no matter how much a person logs and works out, there are just some things you have to leave behind to a certain extent if you wish to have long term success.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I was at a friends last night for dinner and for dessert they have sopapilla cheesecake. She asked if people wanted big or small pieces- I said medium which was about 125% of the small and about 1/3 of what the big pieces looked like. I ate it and LOVED IT, wanted more. I didn't eat more though. I reminded myself - the first bite of the most delicious food is the best bite. Every bite after that is not as good - so eating more would not mean I would get more enjoyment, each bite after that would be less enjoyable. I am trying my best now to "SAVOR" the food, it is really hard and sometimes I catch myself eating too fast and missing out on the actual taste and I remind myself again... enjoy this bite....enjoy this bite...
  • Ihboop
    Ihboop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am with you. Today I started this journey again. I started so happy but now halfway through the day I want to eat cake, McDonalds and whatever else. But I suppose that is natural to feel like you can't have what you want....
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, but I've been able to make good modifications to some unhealthy foods, so I am satisfied and I don't kill my eating in the process.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate & yes, it does make me sad that I can't eat whatever I want. But I would be more upset/mad at myself if I overindulge cause then I worry about gaining all the weight back that I lost. I try to remind myself that it's all about moderation. I love desserts so if I'm craving something sweet I will make a healthier version of it so I don't feel so bad for eating it.

If you have to have that extra piece or overindulge on something you can always exercise more to make up for it.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm around people who can eat whatever they want and still look svelte. I feel a lot better not eating things that used to make me feel bad, but I do miss the taste. And I'm not one of those people who does well with moderation (1 slice of banana bread turns in to 5 really quickly), so I try to keep it to a minimum. I do miss cooking and baking though - cooking because I eat while I cook, and baking because I don't need to be eating the end result. Oh well!

I do have 2 mantras to share -
    "Eat to live, don't live to eat" and
    "Nothing tastes better than being healthy feels"