Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: that poster is going to be pretty much universally offensive to any woman who is not familiar with the aggressive nature of motivational fitness posters.

Here's why.

I happen to be a really good cook. I mean really good. My family prefers that I make them food rather than eating out at nice restaurants. Friends always want my recipes and coworkers can't wait for Chile Verde day. The reason I am so good at is is because I love it. I love everything about food and its preparation. I have Thursdays off, and at least 60% of the day is spent in the kitchen making food, because it is my hobby and my idea of enjoyable time spent.

Now, I could make a poster with a delicious dinner that I just prepared and write "Wanna learn how to cook? You can do it!" or I can put the caption "What's your excuse?". The latter, could reasonably be perceived as giving the middle finger to all the moms who are making hamburger helper that day. It could be seen as an attempt to make people feel guilty because they find cooking to be drudgery and don't want to invest a sizable amount of their time to it. Not everyone enjoys cooking, and that's okay.

Now, the woman in this poster obviously takes a lot of time puts in a lot of effort on her body. Good for her, she looks great. I assume that fitness is a hobby for her based on her history. That does not mean that anyone who is not willing to spend the massive amount of energy required to look like a fitness model is failing at life or "making excuses".

You can be perfectly happy and healthy by being mindful of caloric input and by working out for 20 min a day in addition to playing with your kids or doing chores or whatever. For most people, the is perfectly fine, there is no need to push for more. For them, lifting weights is not their idea of a fun time. And that's okay.

Ahhh! someone with common sense! It is about choices, and we can all make our choices. But some people`s circumstances make the choices more difficult.

Sure, if I had a housekeeper, nanny, and cook, and did not have to work, I could choose to put in the HOURS per week that it would take to look like that. But I don`t, and so choosing to spend so much time at the gym would be detrimental to my family. So I do not choose to do it. I feel proud that I am able to fit in enough exercise to be healthy and that I have time to prepare healthy food for myself and my family and still have enough time to give to my sons to help with homework or watch them participate in their sports activities and have a bit of quality time with my husband. Right now, those things are more important than looking like a fitness model. Perhaps there will be time to train for that triathalon I want to do when the kids are out of the house. . .

Again, it is all about choices.

She works two jobs, does not have a nanny, housekeeper, or cook. She spends 4 hours per week in the gym, like many of us here. What it boils down to is dedication, consistency, and time.
  • whierd
    Options
    I am sure this has been said but, she's a fitness instructor right? She maybe has more time to devote to working out than somebody who doesn't work as a fitness instructor. Why can't she be proud of her achievements without worrying about other people's excuses? To me, it reads as unintentionally smug.

No, she isn't a fitness instructor.

"Fitness Expert"

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/mom-3-called-bully-excuse-fitness-photo-article-1.1487278

"Fitness instructor mom"

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/hot-mom-defends-sexy-photo-facebook-hate-20585381

I thought that she was a former fitness instructor?

I have no idea what she actually is at this moment, but she obviously has a bit more going on with regard to the health and fitness/modeling industries than the average woman.

I am a full time working mom, I am in decent shape and I can definitely know when I've let myself get lazy and make excuses, but I think maybe she's not acknowledging that the shape she is in is ALSO part of her job. That's all.
    whats-your-excuse.jpg?w=480

I am not sure of the point here. Both of these women should be proud or themselves. I am sure both are intending to be inspirational -- I believe your picture is a bit more successful in that regard.

Because it doesn't have children and she garners unneeded sympathy for being disabled?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: that poster is going to be pretty much universally offensive to any woman who is not familiar with the aggressive nature of motivational fitness posters.

Here's why.

I happen to be a really good cook. I mean really good. My family prefers that I make them food rather than eating out at nice restaurants. Friends always want my recipes and coworkers can't wait for Chile Verde day. The reason I am so good at is is because I love it. I love everything about food and its preparation. I have Thursdays off, and at least 60% of the day is spent in the kitchen making food, because it is my hobby and my idea of enjoyable time spent.

Now, I could make a poster with a delicious dinner that I just prepared and write "Wanna learn how to cook? You can do it!" or I can put the caption "What's your excuse?". The latter, could reasonably be perceived as giving the middle finger to all the moms who are making hamburger helper that day. It could be seen as an attempt to make people feel guilty because they find cooking to be drudgery and don't want to invest a sizable amount of their time to it. Not everyone enjoys cooking, and that's okay.

Now, the woman in this poster obviously takes a lot of time puts in a lot of effort on her body. Good for her, she looks great. I assume that fitness is a hobby for her based on her history. That does not mean that anyone who is not willing to spend the massive amount of energy required to look like a fitness model is failing at life or "making excuses".

You can be perfectly happy and healthy by being mindful of caloric input and by working out for 20 min a day in addition to playing with your kids or doing chores or whatever. For most people, the is perfectly fine, there is no need to push for more. For them, lifting weights is not their idea of a fun time. And that's okay.

Ahhh! someone with common sense! It is about choices, and we can all make our choices. But some people`s circumstances make the choices more difficult.

Sure, if I had a housekeeper, nanny, and cook, and did not have to work, I could choose to put in the HOURS per week that it would take to look like that. But I don`t, and so choosing to spend so much time at the gym would be detrimental to my family. So I do not choose to do it. I feel proud that I am able to fit in enough exercise to be healthy and that I have time to prepare healthy food for myself and my family and still have enough time to give to my sons to help with homework or watch them participate in their sports activities and have a bit of quality time with my husband. Right now, those things are more important than looking like a fitness model. Perhaps there will be time to train for that triathalon I want to do when the kids are out of the house. . .

You guys make a lot of assumptions about her life. She doesn't have a nanny and runs 2 non-fitness related businesses...and her husband is disabled.

But aside from her, if you muddle through the rest of the 40+ pages, you'll find parents (at least one of them a single parent) of 2-3 kids who manage just fine.

So....what's the excuse again?
    Again, not an excuse, a choice. Being a healthy weight and having good cardiovascular health, etc. is important to me, and can be maintained with healthy eating and moderate daily exercise. So I am committed to doing those things. At this point in my life, it is not important enough to me to look like a fitness model that I will give up that much time with and for my family.

And although I am not hugely offended by the poster, it is a little in-your-face and does seem to devalue the CHOICES I am making compared to the choices she is making.

And I am managing just fine thank you.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maria.htm

& some more about her if anyone is interested.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Here's why.

You guys make a lot of assumptions about her life. She doesn't have a nanny and runs 2 non-fitness related businesses...and her husband is disabled.

But aside from her, if you muddle through the rest of the 40+ pages, you'll find parents (at least one of them a single parent) of 2-3 kids who manage just fine.

Again, not an excuse, a choice. Being a healthy weight and having good cardiovascular health, etc. is important to me, and can be maintained with healthy eating and moderate daily exercise. So I am committed to doing those things. At this point in my life, it is not important enough to me to look like a fitness model that I will give up that much time with and for my family.

And although I am not hugely offended by the poster, it is a little in-your-face and does seem to devalue the CHOICES I am making compared to the choices she is making.

Where does it say you have to look like a fitness model? If that's how you took it...that's all on you. It's called projecting.
  • tigerblue
    Options

Here's why.

She works two jobs, does not have a nanny, housekeeper, or cook. She spends 4 hours per week in the gym, like many of us here. What it boils down to is dedication, consistency, and time.

If she maintains that body in 4 hours a week, then she must have great genes. Plus she must be a whole lot younger than me! I spend a good bit more than 4 hours a week exercising, and I am quite consistent with both my exercise and my eating. I within my TDEE most days. But then, the more I read about the effects of having to diet in the first place, the more I think that is the problem. Perhaps it is the fact that she never let herself get out of control in the first place that allows her the edge.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Here's why.

If she maintains that body in 4 hours a week, then she must have great genes. Plus she must be a whole lot younger than me! I spend a good bit more than 4 hours a week exercising, and I am quite consistent with both my exercise and my eating. I within my TDEE most days. But then, the more I read about the effects of having to diet in the first place, the more I think that is the problem. Perhaps it is the fact that she never let herself get out of control in the first place that allows her the edge.

http://www.mariakang.com/category/fitness/

Read this. It'll help so you can stop trying to hypothesize so much.
  • tigerblue
    Options

Here's why.

Where does it say you have to look like a fitness model? If that's how you took it...that's all on you. It's called projecting.

Not projecting on her or the distributor of the ad. I am getting it from your statement about managing just fine.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Here's why.

Not projecting on her or the distributor of the ad. I am getting it from your statement about managing just fine.

So where did I say that you had to look like a fitness model again? What about my statement even insinuated I said people had to look like fitness models? Or were you simply projecting your insecurities into what I said and twisted my words and imagined tone to determine that is what I meant?

Edited for typos
  • whierd
    Options

Here's why.

I am so sorry that you believe that you cannot do it. *hug*
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am sure this has been said but, she's a fitness instructor right? She maybe has more time to devote to working out than somebody who doesn't work as a fitness instructor. Why can't she be proud of her achievements without worrying about other people's excuses? To me, it reads as unintentionally smug.

No, she isn't a fitness instructor.

"Fitness Expert"

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/mom-3-called-bully-excuse-fitness-photo-article-1.1487278

"Fitness instructor mom"

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/hot-mom-defends-sexy-photo-facebook-hate-20585381

I thought that she was a former fitness instructor?

I have no idea what she actually is at this moment, but she obviously has a bit more going on with regard to the health and fitness/modeling industries than the average woman.

I am a full time working mom, I am in decent shape and I can definitely know when I've let myself get lazy and make excuses, but I think maybe she's not acknowledging that the shape she is in is ALSO part of her job. That's all.
    whats-your-excuse.jpg?w=480

I am not sure of the point here. Both of these women should be proud or themselves. I am sure both are intending to be inspirational -- I believe your picture is a bit more successful in that regard.

Because it doesn't have children and she garners unneeded sympathy for being disabled?

I find it more inspiring because having children and a job or 2 are challenges a lot of women face, having a physical disability is not. I don't really have sympathy for her, just admiration - which is more inspiring.
  • Minx675
    Minx675 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

^^This^^

If it's important enough to you, you'll make the time and fit it into your schedule. I may not have time to workout for 2 hours a day, but I can find half an hour a day, and so I structured my routine around that. I have to eat every day anyway, so I just make healthier choices than I did in the past when I cook. I have permanent injuries from previous sports I participated in, so I modify my workouts with that in mind, but I still work out. It's not just how much time you have - it's how you choose to structure it. It's not about the obstacles you have - because we all have them to differing degrees - it's about how you choose to deal with those obstacles. Is it easy? No. But it is absolutely achievable and that's what her poster says to me.

It doesn't make me think that I'll end up with her body, in the same way a make-up ad doesn't make me think I'll look like the model on the page if I use a certain eye shadow, but it does show me that, if I put in the work, I can have a fit body. Not HER fit body, but MY fit body. And that's motivating to me.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have seen this everywhere today. I dont find it fat-shaming at all......
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think she looks great and her kids are super cute.

I question why she thinks anyone owes her an excuse about anything, though.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maria.htm

& some more about her if anyone is interested.

"Maria Kang is a fit mother of 3 boys born in 2009, 2010 and 2011. She has successfully competed in both beauty and fitness competitions since the age of 16. Her extensive fitness background expands a period of over 14 years as a personal trainer, group exercise director and instructor, membership sales counselor, fitness manager, freelance writer, and now founder/director of her fitness nonprofit, Fitness without Borders. She also founded the mom-me fitness club, a group where local moms meet at the park and exercise with their children."

yup just a regular mom, what's your excuse
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Eh..I'm not offended by the picture or the question, but I can see how some might be. I do think that she's a gorgeous, fit woman, and she has every reason to be proud of the shape she's in.

i like the cooking analogy (sorry, forgot the name of the poster that made it).

The message, at face value, just comes across as a little sanctimonious, no more so than if I showed you a picture of something I'm fantastic at (obviously she does a great job keeping and maintaining a fit body) and asking why you're not as good as I am. Example..I love to throw parties. I do all of the cooking, baking, planning, decide on signature cocktails to serve, make centerpieces, etc. I work a 50+ hour a week job, have two teenagers who play 2 sports each, etc., etc.. My friends ask me how I manage to do it, and the answer is simple. I love to do it, so I'm going to make it a priority. Yay for me. I don't take copious amounts of pictures to post to FB, showing off the results of all of the hours of hard work I put into it. I don't need that kind of external validation, I guess.

Anyway, I do believe that you can maintain that kind of shape by healthy eating and exercising a few hours a week, but the amount of time it takes to get there will depend on a lot of factors (age, starting weight, etc.).

I also think the message of 'you should have a body like mine, no excuses' attributes to eating disorders and body image issues in young women. It's why you see the, "I eat 1000 calories a day and work out 10 hours a week and still don't look like a fitness model' posts around here. And, yes, I get that she 'didn't mean it like that', but there are many many women in our body image obsessed culture that will take it like that.

Again, I can see both sides of this particular coin and am fairly neutral on the topic.

I didn't read the previous threads, so just my take.

Oh - and my excuse is that I like to eat the food and drink the drinks. :drinker:
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I agree, shell, and that was really well-said.

I'm not overweight but I'm not in the shape I'd like to be yet. I looked at the picture while eating a donut on a day I decided not to exercise, and thought, "Who is this woman asking me to excuse my lazy donut day to her?" It does come off as sanctimonious. I'd think that no matter what she looked like. No one owes anyone an explanation for the choices they make.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think she looks great and her kids are super cute.

I question why she thinks anyone owes her an excuse about anything, though.

I think this is probably the root of annoyance. In defending herself, she writes, "Just do you. Let others tell their own story." She may have answered her own question as to why people got annoyed when she said that.

She does have an online book that focuses on no excuses, and in that context, it feels more appropriate. If I were reading her book, that picture would have context for me and would probably gel and stick with me and be motivating.

The important part of her FB page is that she says she eats clean and puts her not perfect night as dark chocolate covered acai berries and wine. Who is going to invite her to a MFP clean eating thread?
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Here's why.

^^^^^^THIS. EXACTLY.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    When I pledged my sorority I learned a very valuable quote, "Excuses are the tools of the incompetent, used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in them seldom succeed at anything else, therefore there are no excuses."

I have tried to apply this in life, though sometimes I fail. I look at this picture and I think it should be a wakeup call to all of those who have a million excuses as to why they can't eat better or move more. I don't see this as fat shaming, but those who call her a bully are projecting their own insecurities on her. If you read her background, she grew up with an overweight mother who was hospitalized on her wedding day due to her weight/health issues. This is not a game, this is your life. And there is no excuse to not make your health a priority. You don't have to look like Maria Kang, but you can be your best you, not only for yourself but your family. I have family members who have died of congestive heart failure, diabetes, strokes and yet very few people in my family saw this as a sign that maybe they should do things differently. No they are continuing on with the same bad habits, hoping for a different outcome. I am not my best self yet, but I know I will be as long as I don't make excuses.