Best Marriage Advice

Options

Replies

• CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    1) ALWAYS honor your spouse
    2) Remember to treat them just as you did in the beginning
    3) Learn your spouses Love language (yes this is very helpful)
    4) Show your appreciation daily, not just by saying it..text it, write a note, email, mail a letter (yes it's simple but it has an awesome impact)
    5) Be a united front in everything
    6) Take time apart every now and again
    7) Keep your sexy, never lose it!
    8) Pay attention
    9) For Women I cannot stress enough: Be a Proverbs 31 woman. (this is my belief, I respect whatever yours is.)
    10) Always have their back, and allow them to vulnerable
    11) Laugh a lot! Don't be so serious
    12) So many more so I'll stop now :)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what's worked for me:

Trust and be trustworthy. The best beginning for any relationship, romantic or otherwise. It is truly the foundation for any good relationship. When you can't trust one another, nothing else you do is going to matter much.

Be friends. Be able to relax around one another, to speak your mind, to act goofy and not be self-conscious when doing so.

Respect each other. Don't put each other down to other people. It's one thing to be mad or upset with a particular situation, but don't tear your partner down to someone else. Be kind to each other.

Don't be selfish. You and your thoughts and your wants and needs aren't the only ones that matter.

Communicate. Communicate. COMMUNICATE. Your partner should be the first person you turn to when you need advice, need to vent, or have news to share.

Show your love. Speak it, tell your partner what you love about them. Be their biggest cheerleader.

Above all, be happy with that person! Don't stay in a relationship out fear of being alone, or of what others might think. It's none of their business anyway.
  • CheeksBryant
    Options
    Always assume your spouse has the best intentions.

Be your spouse's best cheerleader.

Don't just add your spouse as a part of your life; build a new life, together.

/\ this too!
  • CheeksBryant
    Options
    Touch each other daily. Doesn't have to be sexual but a hand on her shoulder as you walk past still shows intimacy.

/\ yes!
  • CheeksBryant
    Options
    Never stop trying to win the love of your spouse. Marriage takes work. Don't get complacent. Try to woo your love with the same intensity as when you first fell in love.

/\ Always
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Never take your SO for granted.
  • Patti1023
    Patti1023 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't read through all of these (no time) but it's good to see that some people - including men! - actually get it. Marriage takes effort by both parties, and if both people aren't willing to work at keeping it together, it falls apart.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Live in separate homes. In different states.

this
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    "Never let your husband leave the house with an empty stomach and full balls".

Terribly sexist. But the person who said it has been happily married for 35 years...

Never heard this before but I love it. :heart: :heart: SO true.

If men are really this difficult, that you have to attend to their needs so assiduously, why is it worthwhile to have one for keeps?
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My advice is useless since I am divorced... but here is my 2 cents anyway: Humor, sex and honesty.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Decide if you would rather be happy or you'd rather be right. Sometimes you can have both, but usually being happy trumps being right for me.

This.

Choose not to fight. Every one does things that are irritating. No two people will agree on everything. No one will do things the way they were done in your family of origin. It doesn't matter how the dishwasher gets loaded or the laundry gets done. Choose to be on the same team instead of being in competition.
  • AnchoredinHimfitness
    Options
    Forgiveness, compromise and honesty are essential!
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    make sure you are compatible about money
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    ...........The other day I woke up in the morning, long after my partner had gone to work in the dark hours of the day. I put on a cup of coffee and went to weigh myself (as is my routine) and my scale wouldn't work. The digital display was glowing a bit, but it couldn't read it, so I flipped on the bathroom light to see what was going on

the display had been covered up by a piece of paper that read "PERFECT" (my profile picture now).

Those little things keep "the spark" alive.

AWWWWWWWW> LOVE THIS
  • meghanvest
    Options
    Bump
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Marry in haste, repent at leisure. I know so many people who got married right after high school, and they are divorcing now. not pretty.

Make time for each other, and say yes. Yes to the stupid things, like the party at his annoying friend's house, or to getting a puppy, or to going on a spur of the moment trip. It is too easy to find yourself saying "no" more often than not.

I also agree with whoever said not to let yourself go, be it a man or woman. Not because the other person won't find you sexy, but because it can change how you view yourself. I know that I didn't like myself as much when I gained 25lbs, and it made me insecure and grumpy. My beloved still found me perfect, but I had such a hard time accepting it, and it took a toll on our relationship. We made it through just fine, but I still think it is important.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Cheat

Yep.. this is why I'd rather slit my wrists and bleed to death, a slow death in fact instead of getting married to a man that feels cheating is the best way to stay married. :angry:
  • HungryAnimal
    HungryAnimal Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Argue naked.
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Best tip someone gave me -- Never fall out of love with eachother at the same time. I didn't understand it back then, but now 15yrs later I get it.
  • JulieAnn1109
    JulieAnn1109 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't let the sun go down on your anger: Settle any real fight before you go to sleep.

Also, make date-nights a regular occurance. Otherwise, once life gets in the way, the romance is lost.

This, and also love them unconditionally....even when they leave the seat up and the cap off the toothpaste! Been married 15 years and I hope to have him 100 more!! :)