Calories I don't count

Options

Replies

• fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't count non-stick spray, gum, the lemon that goes in my water, supplements or meds, coffee, (I do count the half and half), bites of food (if it's just one bite). I used to not count non-starchy veggies but since I'm also watching my carbs, I count them now because the carbs really add up when you eat lots of veggies.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    my body will process it anyway, this is just a tool and how I use it will determine my results. I didn't ask what y'all thought about my vitamin/supplement amounts. I've been doing supplements a long time in skinny times and in fat times. I just wanted to know if I should count it and now I have my answer. I have researched what I take and know how it affects me. As for doctors I don't trust all of them, one or 2 I like but many are nothing more than med pushers. The medicines have so many side effects it's ridiculous.
    Oh and I'm from Texas! LOL
    :bigsmile:

So you don't trust doctors, but you trust the people telling you milk thistle and garlic and all your other pills are good for you? What makes you trust them?

Oh man. I once ran a couple of healthfood/supplement stores. I had heard that all the time - "I don't trust doctors, I trust you." I found that very scary, and always politely told them that I most certainly was not a doctor, and that they should in no way consider anything I said as a medical opinion.

I didn't last long in that job, I just couldn't stand it.

That's terrifying and so, so sad.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I don't count my vitamins. I take several different supplements and have no clue how many calories they maybe.

There's a number on the side of the bottle that should resolve this mystery for you.

guess I've never really looked.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have researched what I take and know how it affects me. As for doctors I don't trust all of them, one or 2 I like but many are nothing more than med pushers.

As I just mentioned, I used to run two healthfood stores. You know what my business was? Selling you stuff. You think I ever told people to go away, improve their diet and take exercise (as most doctors do)? Heck no. Didn't make my bonus that way.

My staff were trained in the 'triple sell' - sell them something to ease the symptoms, something to prevent, and a 'lifestyle' add on (generally some form of dietary alternative to whatever you point out as being evil in this case).

"High blood pressure? Step this way, sir to the garlic supplements - garlic is naturally reduces BP. Now you're not taking warfarin are you? Good, good can't take garlic with that. Now you'll need to reduce your stress levels, so let's grab a little lavender oil for a relaxing massage, shall we? And I bet your doctor said to reduce sodium, so allow me to take the liberty of dropping this potassium salt alternative into your basket. Now will there be anything else, sir, or straight to the checkout?"
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I log my coffee because it has potassium! Very few calories, yes. But I like to keep track of the other good stuff in it.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I have researched what I take and know how it affects me. As for doctors I don't trust all of them, one or 2 I like but many are nothing more than med pushers.

As I just mentioned, I used to run two healthfood stores. You know what my business was? Selling you stuff. You think I ever told people to go away, improve their diet and take exercise (as most doctors do)? Heck no. Didn't make my bonus that way.

My staff were trained in the 'triple sell' - sell them something to ease the symptoms, something to prevent, and a 'lifestyle' add on (generally some form of dietary alternative to whatever you point out as being evil in this case).

"High blood pressure? Step this way, sir to the garlic supplements - garlic is naturally reduces BP. Now you're not taking warfarin are you? Good, good can't take garlic with that. Now you'll need to reduce your stress levels, so let's grab a little lavender oil for a relaxing massage, shall we? And I bet your doctor said to reduce sodium, so allow me to take the liberty of dropping this potassium salt alternative into your basket. Now will there be anything else, sir, or straight to the checkout?"

This. All of this.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't count my vitamins. I take several different supplements and have no clue how many calories they maybe.

There's a number on the side of the bottle that should resolve this mystery for you.

guess I've never really looked.

Well, that's your homework assignment for tomorrow: check your supplements for calorie amounts.

(Honestly, most of them are probably zero or really close to it...but there are some, in sufficient quantity, that will add up quickly.)
  • jonnythan
    Options

This is a great, great, great post. Perhaps the best post on the topic I've ever seen.

Physicians don't make money off drugs. They might be more likely to prescribe certain drugs as a result of marketing and so forth, but their take-home pay is not literally tied to whether you decide to take their drugs. You can't even buy the drugs there - you have to go to the pharmacy for that.

The people telling you to take milk thistle and garlic, though? All of those people have jobs that rely on either directly selling you that stuff, directly selling literature related to that stuff, or otherwise have incomes that rely on you believing them and buying those items. Or they're simply ignorant (such as friends, family, un-trained un-educated "nutritionists" or "wellness coaches" or whatever).
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    don't know what sort of Omega3 / fish oil supplement some of you are taking, but mine clocks in at 180cals a day. I don't take it every day, but when I do it gets logged.

... You take 20 grams of fish oil a day?

not, it's liquid - 6ml twice daily. I bought it for my kids and they hated it, so now on days when I have calories left over I take some with my dinner to basically empty the bottle. I checked it out on the database and it came up as 90 cal for 6 ml. Ultimately I am not convinced it'll actually improve my life dramatically to reduce my already little calorie allowance by another 180 cal to accommodate it. I'd rather have some ice cream :-)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    don't know what sort of Omega3 / fish oil supplement some of you are taking, but mine clocks in at 180cals a day. I don't take it every day, but when I do it gets logged.

... You take 20 grams of fish oil a day?

not, it's liquid - 6ml twice daily. I bought it for my kids and they hated it, so now on days when I have calories left over I take some with my dinner to basically empty the bottle. I checked it out on the database and it came up as 90 cal for 6 ml. Ultimately I am not convinced it'll actually improve my life dramatically to reduce my already little calorie allowance by another 180 cal to accommodate it. I'd rather have some ice cream :-)

180 calories of oil is 20 grams of fat. So that's at least 20 grams of fish oil.

That's a TON of fish oil. Like, a serious ton. The typical recommendations are on the order of 1.5 to 3 grams a day, and even those recommendations appear to be too high/unnecessary/potentially deleterious for otherwise-healthy individuals. I'm actually phasing fish oil out entirely because it doesn't seem to actually do much of anything positive if you're a healthy person.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

180 calories of oil is 20 grams of fat. So that's at least 20 grams of fish oil.

That's a TON of fish oil. Like, a serious ton. The typical recommendations are on the order of 1.5 to 3 grams a day, and even those recommendations appear to be too high/unnecessary/potentially deleterious for otherwise-healthy individuals. I'm actually phasing fish oil out entirely because it doesn't seem to actually do much of anything positive if you're a healthy person.

it's 11g, but the calories are not on the bottle and not on their website, so I am guessing that unless the person entering it in the database emailed the company they were just guessing. So by that calculation it'll 'only' be 90 calories.

Anyways it hardly matters, because I don't take it regularly enough (less then once a week actually). I am not a great fan of supplements, I mean if you are actually lacking something like iron, by all means, but since the body just excrete stuff it doesn't need, most people just have expensive pee :-)
  • jonnythan
    Options

it's 11g, but the calories are not on the bottle and not on their website, so I am guessing that unless the person entering it in the database emailed the company they were just guessing. So by that calculation it'll 'only' be 90 calories.

Anyways it hardly matters, because I don't take it regularly enough (less then once a week actually). I am not a great fan of supplements, I mean if you are actually lacking something like iron, by all means, but since the body just excrete stuff it doesn't need, most people just have expensive pee :-)

11g of something can be no more than 99 calories. Pure fat is the most calorie-dense nutrient, and pure fat is 9 calories per gram. Don't cheat yourself out of 80 calories of ice cream!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't count my coffee calories. I will be drinking 1-2 cups of coffee everyday without fail the same way day in day out so I don't count them. I also don't count my supplements. I take a LOT of supplements and I noticed one pill could be 10 calories but I need these. I do stained glass so I handle lead and I need to take supplements to detox that lead out and I also take supplements to keep me healthy and prevent colds and infections I probably take close to 30 or 40 pills every morning.
    Am I the only one who does this? Do all of y'all log everything?

Well, I'm kinda in your camp.

I don't log coffee but then I have black coffee with satanic sweeter (however coffee is worth 10 cals or so? only have 1-2 cups a day). I do log cappucinos etc.

I also don't log fish oil capsules that I take after lifting (10 cals?). Fing is, if I took 30-40 pills a day at 10 cals a pill, that's ~400 calories you're not logging.

:huh: :noway: :devil:
  • kmart919
    kmart919 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I don't post often, but this is a great post.

On topic-I log my vitamins because they're gummies. It's just a multi plus fiber supplement on days when I'm low only. It is only about 20 cals so it won't make a huge difference anyway.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I am so close to maintenance that I don't log non-starchy veggies. I also don't log coffee, but definitely the creamer I use.

You do know that even those non-starchy vegetables have calories right? you eat enough of them per day/meal & they add up.

Why do so many people think that it's ok not to log it if it's 'one banana' or 'one apple' ect when in fact they can have a heck of a lot to do with it all & have a heck of a lot of calories in the end?

No wonder some people are fat. They just think 'it's ok to not count that cause I burn more off eating it' :noway: :explode:
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have read all of these posts with great interest . "designer food" and "health" shops prey on people. We live in a society that wants the easy fix and a pill for everything. I would suggest taking a serious look at the psychology associated with 40 pills a day. It sounds unbalanced to me and it is highly likely that changing diet and exercise mode would do a better job. I don't know what you are eating but reliance on pills is not a healthy outlook.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I log everything but my drink squash, because it's something stupid like 3calories per litre.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't count my coffee calories. I will be drinking 1-2 cups of coffee everyday without fail the same way day in day out so I don't count them. I also don't count my supplements. I take a LOT of supplements and I noticed one pill could be 10 calories but I need these. I do stained glass so I handle lead and I need to take supplements to detox that lead out and I also take supplements to keep me healthy and prevent colds and infections I probably take close to 30 or 40 pills every morning.
    Am I the only one who does this? Do all of y'all log everything?

30 or 40 pills every morning? Holy crap! That's a lot.:noway:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Just for what it's worth, if it is the same exact stuff every day, why would logging it matter?
    In the end, it's not something the OP is likely to binge on. So essentially it's part of the lifestyle. If she wasn't losing weight, she'd cut down on food calories, not supplements, right?

My coffees clock in at 80-90 calories each, seen as they are half milk, half coffee. I drink several a day, and yes, it is something I need to be quite aware of calorie wise.