Push gift

Options

Replies

• Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My gift are my children, and I don't need some elaborate gift for giving birth. Yeah, it's hard work, but as soon as the baby is out, at least for me, that last thing I am thinking is "dang, that was hard work, I better get something for it" My thought is look at this amazingly beautiful little person that we created....I think the idea of being rewarded for giving birth is foolish and silly.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. I think it's ridiculous. You are creating a family together. That IS the gift. The birthing just happens to be the female's role.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. However, I suggest offering her support, help with your new little bundle, and try to make sure you don't let NORMAL romance and personal time with your wife go out the window. And congratulations! You're getting the best gift (source of stress) a family could ask for! I mean seriously. . .a push gift??
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    A push gift? that's beautiful.... I would have loved my hubby if he had of done anything other than snore all night in the recliner while I was pacing the floor with my newborn daughter. Yes definitely a push gift!!!:flowerforyou:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Wait until she has given birth, then get something. You'll have a much better appreciation of what she's going to do after witnessing it firsthand.

Congratulations by the way.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    the only push gift I would want is a metric ton of sushi from my favorite place because I heard that you can't eat that while you're pregnant. otherwise, just a promise that you will let me sleep for at least a few hours every night. push gifts seem silly to me but then again if I have kids I don't plan on having a natural birth EVER.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeesh. Women sure love getting congratulated for stuff that should just be part of normal life. Focus on the kid you just had. Not petty materialism.

Not "women". Materialistic people. Sure as heII not me.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The only thing I asked for was non-hospital food.

I considered a healthy child a decent enough "push gift"
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    The only thing I asked for was non-hospital food.

I considered a healthy child a decent enough "push gift"

Since she has had gestational diabetes during pregnancy I was just going to get her a box of sponge candy
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on having a natural birth EVER.

I didn't plan that craziness either :wink: I had my last baby at home on my bed after being sent home from the hospital. Still no push gift! Well, the paramedics were hot, so there's that.... :smile:
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think the notion of women expecting a gift for having a child is ridiculous, and greedy. The only push gifts I recieved or ever wanted were my three beautiful and healthy children that I delivered into this world. I can't imagine a woman thinking they deserve anything more for doing something that is a natural thing in life.

However, if you feel you would like to be nice, I think flowers or something small is very sweet and more than fitting.

And I forgot to add, congratulations by the way!! Being a parent is amazing!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I got a teddy bear from my newborn son but it was Mother's Day.

But really, he brought me food which made me more than happy. That hospital food is brutal.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on having a natural birth EVER.

I didn't plan that craziness either :wink: I had my last baby at home on my bed after being sent home from the hospital. Still no push gift! Well, the paramedics were hot, so there's that.... :smile:

damn girl you are bad *kitten*. I changed my answer. I only want a pre-push gift and that is an epidural. hot paramedics would be acceptable as well, as long as they stay by my head.
  • runningvegan
    Options
    I didn't expect a gift when either of my children were born and didn't get one. I think it is kind of ridiculous. The moment should be about the special new baby coming into the family and not, "what am I going to get?"

For my first Mother's Day as a mom, I did get a special necklace - just a simple diamond stone on a chain. No gift was expected. It was just a nice surprise.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I've never heard of a push gift - honestly think it's a way to get more presents I guess... like valentines day was created for card makers and candy makers. My advice is just be supportive when she needs you during the deliver and after - after all, it does take two people to create the miracle :)
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Both of ours were c-sections. The gift was that the kids were healthy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Here's the real question... Now that you're aware of it and thinking about it - could you NOT get her something? Personally I'd feel bad if she were expecting a gift and didn't get anything. No need to go crazy and spend a bunch of money though, especially with all the expenses you have now and in the near future, but just a little something to let her know you think she's awesome.

A charm, bracelet or necklace for mother/child or as somenoe else mentioned, something with the baby's birthstone - October is opal or tourmaline. Or even just a simple flower bouquet. You know her better than we do, I'm sure you could come up with something.

Or maybe I just watch too many sitcoms.. :)
  • umekanzah
    umekanzah Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow@ all the answers. We have two kids and I got jewelry from my husband after both births.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My hubby brought me a donut and some Tim Horton's coffee the next morning. I wouldn't call it a push present, but I was ravenous after delivery, and it was very thoughtful of him!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    oh great now I know of another thing to be dissapointed about when i deliver.

I'd get her a lovely piece of jewelry or just a really sweet well thought out hand written card.