Cold Weather Ahead...the all soups thread

Options

Replies

• pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    This soup has quite a few ingredients, but it is nice to make ahead and freeze. It is also high in vitamin C and A so I like to make it or have on hand when I am sick.

:happy: BROCCOLI CHEESE CHOWDER

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large carrot, diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 large potato, peeled and diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
    8 ounces broccoli crowns, (see Ingredient Note), cut into 1-inch pieces, stems and florets separated
    1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation
    Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring often, until the onion and celery soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add potato and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, dry mustard and cayenne; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.

Add broth and broccoli stems; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in florets; simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes more. Transfer 2 cups of the chowder to a bowl and mash; return to the pan.

Stir in Cheddar and sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the chowder is heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.

Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.

Ingredient note: Most supermarkets sell broccoli crowns, which are the tops of the bunches, with the stalks cut off. Although crowns are more expensive than entire bunches, they are convenient and there is considerably less waste.

205 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 508 mg sodium; 436 mg potassium.

6 servings, 1 cup each
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DesertCowgirl
    DesertCowgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BUMPS!!!!
  • bluesqueen
    bluesqueen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im brand new here today but have been looking for some good ideas for soups..the eating plan I live by has no added oils or fats, salt, flour, or sugar. I do eat meat but usually lean chicken breast, pork loin or ground turkey breast. FIsh is best but I dont care for it a lot. Anyone know a good receipe for a fish chowder without those things in it? I also dont eat corn. Thanks. Looks so good. :tongue:
  • adfarr1
    Options
    Bumpy bump bump
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    Hey everyone, I live in Utah and it is already starting to get cold out (and I am sick). I had the most amazing garden veggie soup from the deli today, and got to thinking that I want to know your favorite recipes for cold weather soups and stews are.

I want to share one that I really enjoy that is way easy to make. Please feel free to add your favorites.

~Jess :flowerforyou:

Turkey Chili with Black Beans and Corn

20 oz. ground turkey
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tbsp red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
    1 can diced tomatoes with juice
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 can yellow corn
    1 can black beans, rinsed
    1 can seasoned chili beans

Brown turkey in large skillet or large, but shallow pot. After 1 minute, add onion, red bell pepper, and spices. Cook until turkey is no longer pink. Add canned ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-45 minutes or until onions and peppers are soft.

Can garnish with light shredded cheese, light sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, etc. You can also rinse beans to reduce the sodium.

Nutrition Facts: Cal 215, Total Fat 6.5 g, Chol 0 mg, Sodium 350 mg, Total Carbs: 21.1 g, Dietary Fiber: 6.1 g, Protein: 19.4 g

*Forgot to add that this is 8 servings

This sounds great, is a serving 1 cup?
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    BUMPITY BUMP! I love soup!
  • pressica
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I found some new soup recipes. I am trying them this weekend. Here is the link.

sorry, link not working. I will have to post them later.
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    Here's an easy one to fix for a quick meal. (Although I find making soup from scratch, with a lot of chopping, is therapeutic! )You can vary the ingredients to your personal taste.

Five Can Soup (South Beach - Phase 1))

INGREDIENTS:
    1 can reduced fat low sodium chicken broth
    1 can ff refried beans
    1 can rotel tomatoes w/chilies
    1 can kidney beans (drained)
    1 can black beans (drained)
    1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and cubed
    (or one can of chicken breast meat)

DIRECTIONS:
    Mix all ingredients in a stock pot, heat and eat!!
    Add herbs or other seasonings to taste (but the spicy rotel tomatoes gives it a kick).
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... my dad makes the best chicken corn soup and Dr. Pepper stew... I'll have to get his recipes for us when I'm home over break. And make him make me some. lol.

Thanks for all the great recipes! I can't wait to try them when I'm at home and have a kitchen.
  • pressica
    Options
    Mmmm... my dad makes the best chicken corn soup and Dr. Pepper stew... I'll have to get his recipes for us when I'm home over break. And make him make me some. lol.

Thanks for all the great recipes! I can't wait to try them when I'm at home and have a kitchen.

That is fascinating. I have never even heard of Dr. Pepper stew. . .or any stew with soda in it for that matter. I will look forward to it.
  • kimmie1013
    kimmie1013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds great do you know the calories in the chili?
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Kami's Chili From Scratch (Serves 16) Serving size = 2 cups!

My homemade chili. My family loves this recipe. This chili can be made without the meat or by adding crumbled tofu for vegetarians/vegans. Perfect for Home Canning!

Ingredients:

3 lbs 90/10 ground beef
    2 cups dry black beans
    1 1/2 cups dry kidney beans
    1 1/2 cups dry small red beans
    1 1/2 cups dry pinto beans
    12 cups water, divided
    2- 26 oz cans of diced tomatoes
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    3 Tbsp tomato paste
    1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
    1 medium tomato, diced
    5 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 Tbsp onion powder
    6 Tbsp chili powder
    3 Tbsp cumin

Directions:

Sort beans and place into a large bowl. Add 8 cups of water, soak beans in refrigerator for 24 hours.

Place ground beef into a large soup pot (12 quart or larger). Brown ground beef until fully cooked. Place in a wire colander and rinse until water runs clear. Return ground beef to the soup pot.

Add vegetables and spices, and cook for 10 minutes on high heat, stirring often. Add beans (water and all) plus 4 more cups water; stir. Add spices, bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer at least 3 1/2 hours, or until beans are tender.

Nutrition Info Per Serving:

Calories: 350
    Carbs: 48
    Fat: 7
    Protein: 39
    Calcium: 13
    Sodium: 386
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    bump bump, bumpity bump :flowerforyou:
  • UpToAnyCool