WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options
1758406dvzfbvkbgp.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I am thankful for MFP and all the lovely women ages 50+ who have blessed my life for the last few years. I write about you in my gratitude journal almost every morning.

:bigsmile: If you are new to this thread we welcome you and hope that you will come back daily and find the support and encouragement in this warm community that the rest of us have found already.

:bigsmile: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for October?

:drinker: What goals and resolutions do you have planned for November?

:flowerforyou: It’s easier to get to know each other if you sign your post with your name (or an alias) and your location (city, state, or general geographic area).

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

October Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*strength training three days a week (twice a week)
*change some of my strength training routine (made several significant changes)
*don’t take things personally (really have to work at this but it’s worth the effort)
*practice dance for 20-30 minutes three days a week (once a week)
* say “No” to candy (100%)

November Resolutions
*gradually return to dog walking as my back heals
*practice dance for 20-30 minutes three days a week
*gradually return to strength training as my back heals
*act the way I want to feel

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie!!! :flowerforyou:

Lin in Central Iowa
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Hello Barbie and Linder!

I had hoped to lose at least 4 pounds in October, but I don't think I made it (I will Weigh In tomorrow)
    I did change my Strength Training and Cardio some, but I am thinking it needs More Tweaking.

November Goals:

Stay within my Calorie Goals at least 80 - 90% of the time.
    Exercise Every Day, a minimum of 30 minutes

I did get a New Pedometer last week and it shows that I am Burning A LOT more Calories than I believed that I was (or what MFP says), so I have to consider whether that is why my Weight is stuck?

Jeannie In Oklahoma
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks Barbie and please take care and feel better soon

Juanita in sudbury
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Bump for tomorrow
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Jari Love's Ripped 1000 DVD today. Tomorrow I'm going to try this class at the Y called "Intro to the Bosu". Who knows? Maybe I'll get some ideas. Want to go to WalMart to get things to make the dinner for Ken & Lynette, I need some refrigerated items so I'll put them in the refrigerator at the Green Room, then come home and we'll start closing up the pool <:(>. I'm going to pop myself a good amount of air popped popcorn for tonight and I'll have that tonight instead of munching on the candy. At least, that's the PLAN.

Renny - I agree that a healthy lifestyle is going to help. Glad you got answers as to what the problem is

Sylvia - glad the stress test went well. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago when I had a stress test done. The nurse was amazed at how fast my heartrate came down! You should be very proud.

Well, exercised, then went to WalMart to get things for making the meal for Ken & Lynette (I already made the desserts), then bought gas, then went to the soup kitchen to drop off some of the chicken salad that I didn't want any more of, then went to volunteer at the Green Room. Came home and Vince and I started the pool closing <boohoo>. We'll probably finish tomorrow. Then we went to the post office (I went to the ATM near there while he went to the post office) Now home and going to get dinner ready, waiting for trick-or-treaters. They were giving out bags at the postoffice, each bag had a mini 3Musketeer, Twix, and Milky Way. Vince had the 3Musketeer and I had the Twix.

Jane - fantastic loss! Congrats

Sandy - going to the Y I wouldn't doubt is helping you. Exercise is great for relieveing frustration

Well, my strategy of having popcorn while giving out the candy worked. I honestly didn't eat any. Well, truth be told, I did open one pack of the M&M fun size. I honestly didn't want it but we were finishing up. I actually ate just one M&M and threw the rest away. Now THAT felt good.

After the t-or-t'ers left, I made the spinach and beef manicotti. Even tho I doubled the recipe, I still need more manicotti shells. Does anyone know of a good way to get the filling into the shells?

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Happy November. We didn’t have any trick-or-treaters, but didn’t expect any. I always have some candy just in case and now I’ll have to deal with the candy.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

October goals:
    1. Log every bite: done :smile:
    2. Move more: done :smile:
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily: not consistent, needs work.:noway: :grumble:

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness, cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We didn't have any trick or treaters here either. I didn't expect any because our whole front yard and sidewalk are torn up. We're replacing the whole front yard (aka gopher playground) with water-wise plants, drip irrigation, a dry stream bed and flagstone walk. We are not doing ourselves...a landscaper is. He did our back yard and we love it.

It's going to be a busy month. There is something every weekend...usually both days. Oh, well. Better busy than bored.

Barbie, I hope you are feeling better!

Eileen near San Diego
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Michele.........to fill manicotti, deviled eggs, etc...........put your filling in a small zip lock bag, cut off a corner, and squeeze your filling where you want it. If a sandwich bag is too flimsey, use the freezer ones, they are a bit thicker and stronger.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Had a nice Halloween with daughter,her friend and Violet.My hip is paying the price.
    Off to bed.
    HUGS
    jane
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween!
    Have to brag...did not buy any candy, nor did I eat any. I did however buy a peach pie that a caterer friend of mine said was very good from one of the supermarkets. I bought it for my Dad and he gobbled a piece without batting an eye! I just looked at the pie and said, "I won't gobble you like he did!"
    Have the window open tonight. Rained most of the evening and I'm always flashing so I like the room cold. This week was not stellar in terms of my discipline. I ate over my limit a few days and did not exercise as I should have although I do planks. Tomorrow I will go with Dad to exercise and try to move more.
    NSV: Fit into size 8 cordoroys! I'm still out of shape, but I am smaller. They are stretch fabric and I bought them off the sale rack at Nordstrom. I had not been to the mall in probably 6 months! Everything was expensive and left-over. Nothing exciting.
    I wanted to eat so much today. I wanted all junky food...BUT I DID NOT EAT ANY! Instead I ate my "seeds and nuts" with coconut milk 4 times today! Ate salmon and a power bar. Still went a little over 1200 cals. I took a steambath to detox and thinking about my goals for November.
    1. be more diligent about exercising.
    2. drink more fluids.
    3. eat 1200 or under (that's what works for me)
    4. smile more.
    5. help others joyfully
    6. accept defeat as a means to learn and improve...whatever it may be.
    7.hope all of you meet your goals!
    Ta-ta for now! Susan
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I want this to be a thankful month for me. So for Nov 1st, I am thankful for Barbie. She doesn't have to stay here anymore for the weight loss. She stays because she wants to. And that is what a friend is all about. They aren't there just because they need help and want to take, they are there because they want to and because the are givers. Givers of support, a shoulder, a helping hand, a word of advice or just a listening ear.

I'm not good at making and keeping goals and I'm still to new at this new life style that when I don't make a goal it makes me just feel worse. Plus sometimes I can't make the goal because of my MS. I know I use it as an excuse sometimes and that's bad. But I always have a goal in my mind and try to always remember it. I just don't write it down. I always drink my water, try to get to the Y at least 4 times a week and if I go more I always feel like I have given myself a gift. I try to stick to my diabetic diet as much as I can. These last couple of days have been TERRIBLE with the candy. I haven't logged what I have eaten. I don't want to even see it written down in print. I wish we could have had the trick or treaters tonight so the candy would be out of the house. But with tornado warnings out this evening the city was wise in asking families to post pone it to tomorrow night. So it will be gone tomorrow night. I'm sure I will take it to my daughter's place of work as soon as DH leaves to go Karoake. He thinks I will continue to have kids come by after 8 PM. Well if they do the light won't be on and I will be gone. It really makes me worry about Christmas. I always buy a lot of candy for stockings. Maybe I will take the candy over to my sisters house. If I take it to my daughter's, she may eat it or her dogs get in it. Yes, I'll take it to my sister's. She is coming over again tomorrow to pick up more of my clothes to take to her church's clothing bank. This batch is my T shirts and some more of my jeans. I also bought a new coat today so my old coat will go.

I think I insulted the wellness manager at the Y the other day. She was in her office and as I walked by I told her she looked awful. She really did but I shouldn't say something like that to someone's face that I don't know that well. She said it was allergies but I asked today how she was and they said she has strep throat! So she really was awful. I need to apologize to her. The nurse in me came out when it shouldn't have.

have a good night, day, afternoon or whatever. Joyce, Indiana
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I said that I was looking for what October had to offer, I should have remembered the saying, "Be careful what you ask for!" It came in with death and left with death. I was truly tested on my faith. I had to walk it and not just talk it. And all thanks to God that I was able to walk it without fail. He kept me through it all and when I felt like I was getting discouraged, I had to remind myself that He was with me through it all the way. Therefore, my October was a month of spiritual growth that elevated me to a higher place of praise. It was a month of sorrow and of joy. It was one of my busiests months and also one of my saddest months because I lost three people all within a week and a half to two weeks of each other. And I am still standing.

October was also a month of miracles for me. God showed me just how great He is to me and how much He loves me. Things happened that not only blew my mind, but the minds of those around me. So as I sit here tonight, I can only say that I have great joy in my time of sadness and I am truly experiencing a peace that truly surpasses all understanding. I will have to elaborate later, but I had to share about the joys and sorrows that I went through.

Now that November is here, I know that I have a lot to be thankful for when I sit down for my Thanksgiving dinner. This month will bring even more new and great things as I begin a new adventure in teaching juveniles in what I call "gospel edutainment". I will be teaching them how to worship using the fine arts and to let them bring new and fresh ideas that will keep them excited about coming to church and serving others. This will be my number one goal for the month of November.

My other goals include, but are limited to:
    1) Going out into the streets and bus stops to pray for others
    2) Transporting people to a church of their choice
    3) Delivering food to those who don't have a way to come get it
    4) Learn how to minister to those in jail
    5) Be an example for others in all I do
    6) Never let anyone get me angry
    7) Continue to live a healthy lifestyle
    8) Compliment someone sincerly each day of this month
    9) Give something to someone each day of this month
    10) Visit this thread more often. I know life is busy but I have to try!
    AND THE BIGGEST THING I WILL DO IS REMEMBER THAT LIFE IS SHORT! I MUST LIVE IT IN LOVE AND LOVE LIVING IT!!

OH, AND LADIES?! NEVER, NEVER, LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR JOY!!!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    I had my lemon water. and a cup of tea with some toast, this is the 3rd day without the gym- 2 days ago i race walked and it felt good, until I went to bed, and sat up and all of a sudden my hips were screaming at me, and I couldn't move.. took 1/2 a pain pill to sleep,still yesterday was rough,but got up and did what I had to do, grocery shopping,home ,put away, bake, cook, and even rake leaves and put them in bags and take them to the dump.
    But my hips are still sore and I dont really want to hurt myself more, so taking another day off from the gym, I will go tomorrow..
    November Goals- get more fluids in me
    break plateau
    try something different at the gym
    try and get 15,000 steps daily
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! November is here already, time is flying by. Had a nice Halloween, took Elizabeth out, she had a blast. I did not eat any candy, but it was very tempting.

November Goals:
    :heart: Lose 5-8 Lbs
    :heart: Drink more water
    :heart: Move More, hopefully back to Zumba

Barbie--Thank you for Keeping this going. Hope you heal quickly, sending prayers your way. :flowerforyou:

Michele--Pastry bag, you can use zip lock bag, just cut the corner. Yeah on No Halloween candy.:happy:

Joyce--Good ideal to store the candy at your sisters, wish my Hubby would store his junk food at his sisters, :laugh:

Christchild--Sounds like a wonderful way to teach youth about God and Worship. :love:

Susan--Size 8 and New clothes, Awesome. :bigsmile:

Grandmallie-- Hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

Hope everyone has a Blessed and Wonderful Day! :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    Options
    Hooray!:drinker: I've just booked our posh meal for Jan 17th for our London weekend. I went on the phone at 9 am and it was engaged for ages. So I went and finished my gymming and tried again a few minutes later. Success! They only release Jan dates from today so it's a bit like trying to get tickets for a rock star!:laugh: It's a crazy amount of money, but we are not having a holiday in Feb as we normally do, so I don't feel too guilty.
    I will give to Crisis at Christmas which provides shelter, help and dinner for a homeless person at Christmas. That will be my thanks for the opportunity to have this lovely meal. I know how lucky we are.

DH is recovered enough for us to go to the bakery. He will have to take time off from writing his novel this a.m. as they sell out of the bread we like by midday.

I will sort out my goals etc later.

Love Heather UK
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks again Barbie! I am still lurking more than posting. Just too busy with work. I am also working with my doctor to turn around my sleep issues. I need daily contact with this great group for motivation to get back at it~ I am slowly gaining back some of the weight and it must stop!!

Thinking of all of you . Congrats on those with victories and hugs to those who are struggling.

Deb A in CBY
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Happy November!!!!

Barbie:smile: Thank you again for keeping this thread going!!! Hope you`ll be feeling brand new in no time:flowerforyou: !

Sandy in ON:smile: Sorry you`re feeling so much stress:flowerforyou: ! If you stop in NC I`ll go with you to a warm sunny beach:bigsmile: ! Hope you feel better soon!

Renny:smile: At least you got an answer to what the pain is caused from:cry: ....hope you`ll have some luck in alleviating it:flowerforyou: !

Sylvia:smile: So glad the test came out good!!!! Yay, you`re feeling better:bigsmile: , that`s fabulous news:flowerforyou: !

Michele:smile: It was a nice day to close the pool, sad that summer is over though:cry: !

Pat (Phoo):smile: Sounds like a cute and good little treat for Halloween!

Jane Martin:smile: Congrats on 6lbs:flowerforyou: !!!!

Sorry for everyone I missed, I think of you all:heart: . I read everyday, just don`t have lots of time to post:cry: !

My goal for October was not to gain any weight, and I`m happy to say.....I actually lost 2 pounds:bigsmile: , now I`m still trying to get a few pounds off that crept up on me:angry:, so my goal for November will be the same...not to gain any more, and to find something to laugh about everyday...I think laughter is so important!!!

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy, windy and warm NC
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn,all. Keep meaning to post ,but my intentions are flabby.

October was a good month for my food eating plan,tho lame in losing weight.:grumble:

Still going to gym. Did ramp up the time & that will be the max for me. I do have a life to live.:happy:

Have noticed a lot of posting as to what ppl are going to eat for Thanksgiving dinner. What works for me is planning.
    Plan the amounts to eat works for me,regardless of what the food is.

My daughter knew I was looking for a bright colored set of measuring cups.She found them,2wks ago....bright red!

I kept the 1/2 C out,put the others away."Red" sits on my counter,where I see it every time I walk into the kitchen.The 1/2 C is the measure I use most often. When eating away,just thinking of amount Red holds, helps keep me on portion line. :bigsmile:
    Sounds dorky,but whatever works!

No beggars here.Weather was just a mess of rain & wind.Hub will take care of the one bag of candy we have just in case.I bought fun size bars,but not my favs.

Have a huge pot of beef/veggie soup started. Hub says you have to look hard to find the beef .True.......but it makes for a good soup.Nothing better when the cold winds blow.So handy to have in freezer.

Good thoughts for those who need them & good luck with your food plan. Pat C
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    Options
    One of my October goals was to use my new swimsuit - haven't got it wet yet!
    I wanted to lose 1.5 lbs. Only lost 1 lb.
    I accomplished my plank goal of 3 mins several times, but haven't done a single one since this chesty cold bit me. I also managed 30 pushups once, but am back down to 26. I am now using 20 lb dumbbells so all my reps are down so I can't compare.

November goals.

1 lb would be lovely. Here's hoping!
    Carry on upping my reps with the new weights.
    3 min planks. 30 pushups.
    Make an effort to go on a trip to visit or meet with a friend.
    Sort out my charity giving for Christmas. I have 3 charities I normally give to.

Enough I think.:laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Love to you all. Heather in dreary Hampshire UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Halloween night was so much fun! We had almost 30 kids come to the door. I know because I made up 30 treat bags and have two left. The costumes were all so cute. My favorite was a girl about 11 or 12 who had on a floral house coat, house slippers, pink rollers in her hair, a hair net over them, and using a walker! It was hilarious. My own grandkids came over about 8:00, which was a surprise as I thought they were going to a different function downtown. They looked so cute! We had locked Molly in her crate most of the evening because she doesn't like kids, but Bruno was greeting the kids at the door like he knew what to do. He's getting a lot better about not jumping up on people. And when I told him, he trotted right back inside. Next year I'll try to find a costume for him to wear. My old dog, Cutty, who died in May, had a superman cape and he loved to wear it on Halloween. I missed him last night, but Bruno is going to be able to fill in for him, I think.

I ate very little of the candy, so I was pretty happy with that. Just a few tiny tootsie rolls. The leftovers are going to hubby's office this morning.

Today I am going to Joplin to get my oil changed, have lunch with some friends, and shop for a birthday gift for hubby. His birthday is tomorrow and I have no clue what to get. He's really hard to shop for. He has no hobbies, doesn't read anything but chemistry books, and doesn't like clothes. He doesn't drink or smoke so I can't get him wine or cigars or anything like that. Plus he hates to spend money, so that makes it really hard. But I'll find something.

Have a good day, and great November!

Sylvia

October goal to lose 5 pounds. Done!

November goal, to lose 5 more in spite of holiday food!