cant poop! tried everything! pretty please help!

Options
i eat around 1500 calories a day of literally 99% healthy things, the ONLY things that i eat that arent healthy are non greek yogurt, salad dressing, and im iffy on my honey wheat bread too..

i lift 5x a week and do cardio 3x a week as well as a wii workout game 5x a week

i drink 3 glasses of green tea and atleast 15 glasses of water per day

i eat a ton of fiber

i take digestive enzymes with all of my meals and recently i started taking miralax 2x a day
and NOTHING!

but its not like constipation.. i'm not cramping or anything im just SUPER bloated 24/7 even right when i wake up and i have NO urge to poop at all.. i dont ever feel like i have to..

i poop maybe 3x a MONTH!
and i havent lost any weight in 4 months because of it

its really discouraging and my weight loss efforts arent paying off because of it..

any advice?! idk what to do!

PS: i USED to eat only 800-1200 calories a day and did that for about a year.. could i have ruined my metabolism?

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Milk of Magnesia, or an enema, if that doesn't work. Screwing up your metabolism won't keep you from pooping though. Lolol. :happy:
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Also, you said you're taking digestive enzymes, so I assume you have a medical condition that's probably keeping you from pooping?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Those magnesium supplements that you take for vitamins make you go. I hate it, because they help my migraines and I don't want to have to run to the restroom :D But they sound good for you :) I was taking 400mg, which may be the RDA (not sure).
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a question for your doctor.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Pooping 3 times a month is definitely not okay. A healthy pooper goes at least 2 to 3 times a day. I would call your doctor.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^^ This

also - are you getting enough fat in your diet? It's as important as fiber. It helps... lubricate the system.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Agreed. That and a laxative should help you.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Pooping 3 times a month is definitely not okay. A healthy pooper goes at least 2 to 3 times a day. I would call your doctor.

2-3 times per day???? No that doesn't seem normal either....
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options

That is what my doctor told me when I had to go in for tests and had a colonoscopy done while I was having bowel problems.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Coffee-Makes-Me-Poop.jpg

True story! (first thing that came to mind) :drinker:

But I agree with everyone else; time to talk to your doctor. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Lorinda40
    Lorinda40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pooping only three times a month would scare me to death. I really think maybe you should see a doctor to figure out what is going on. Maybe you have a blockage or something that is backing up your system. I know that when my husband had a major surgery he had to take a lot of pain meds which constipated him terribly. We had to buy a liquid called magnesium citrate. That cleared him out really well. But if you do that route I suggest you stay home that day. Just something you could try. I'd still see a doc though if I were you, just to be on the safe side!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Agreed. That and a laxative should help you.

She's already taking Miralax, which is a gentle laxative (not the kind that stimulates colon contractions) but still probably shouldn't be a part of daily life without a doctor's approval. It sounds like she has a chronic issue and it would be prudent to seek medical advice.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor. I second the suggestion to eat more fat (if you are on a low fat diet), at least 20% of your daily calories should come from healthy fats like nuts, olive oil, avocados, coconut oil etc.

Also, severe constipation can be a side effect of prescription medications.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Coffee-Makes-Me-Poop.jpg

True story! (first thing that came to mind) :drinker:

But I agree with everyone else; time to talk to your doctor. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:

Also a true story... Can totally verify this. Try it, it can't hurt too bad... AND GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

^^ This

also - are you getting enough fat in your diet? It's as important as fiber. It helps... lubricate the system.

this
  • chitchatcatt
    chitchatcatt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was doing MFP at 1200 calories and really watching her fat. She couldn't poop either. Increase your fat
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    GO TO THE DOCTOR. Don't accept medical advice from random people on the Internet. GO TO THE DOCTOR. A gastroenterologist.
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It may not be that you ruined your metabolism on 800 calories/day, but you may have made your intestines lazy by not using them.
    Chewing gum can help by triggering peristalsis (the contraction of your bowels).
    You could also be intolerant to something you're eating. Eg. lactose intolerance doesn't just cause the runs, it can do the opposite too. Good luck.
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see your doctor to rule out any medical problems. I can completely empathize with you as I've had IBS for years. I finally found a doctor who would listen to me after years and years of being told, "more fiber, more water, more exercise." Geez if it were that easy, I wouldn't have suffered for 40+ years. I am now taking Amitiza (Rx) which helps a great deal. Please see your doctor. No one should have to suffer the discomfort you are obviously feeling.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

It can be perfectly normal. Regularity is what's important, if you poop thrice a day, or take a massive dump every three days, it doesn't matter, as long as it's a regular schedule.