Calories in calories out

Options
How does this work when we have all known a 300 pound person who eats healthy and works an active job but still cant lose ? Like for example I have a friend who is an overweight nurse, she does zumba, eats salads and has a very active job (always on her feet) yet she is still large and has been since a child. Yet I have another friend whos a stay at home mom, 28 years old, eats nothing but fast food and is like 110 soaking wet. So if we accept the fact that there are super skinny girls who cant eat whatever they want and not gain a pound why cant the reverse be true? Why cant someone eat healthy, have a deficit and NOT lose? If a skinny girl can eat 4000 calories a day of fast food with out the calories in calories out applying why does it always 100% apply to overweight people? The bigger people I know that are 300 pounds dont eat ANYWHERE near 3000 plus calories a day like the internet says it takes for them to maintain that weight....

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/secret-eaters

Unless you are with them 24/7 you don't how much they eat.
  • peachcats
    Options
    eats nothing but fast food and is like 110 soaking wet.
    I regularly eat pizza and fast food and lost 50+ lbs using MFP.
    Eating "healthy" != counting calories.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

Clearly. People always say that

You are weighing your food wrong/portions wrong
    You don't know how much you are eating
    You are eating too little.

Could it be that this doesn't work on everyone? Clearly people have all kinds of health problems and ailments also from preventing this from always working.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    How does this work when we have all known a 300 pound person who eats healthy and works an active job but still cant lose ? Like for example I have a friend who is an overweight nurse, she does zumba, eats salads and has a very active job (always on her feet) yet she is still large and has been since a child. Yet I have another friend whos a stay at home mom, 28 years old, eats nothing but fast food and is like 110 soaking wet. So if we accept the fact that there are super skinny girls who cant eat whatever they want and not gain a pound why cant the reverse be true? Why cant someone eat healthy, have a deficit and NOT lose? If a skinny girl can eat 4000 calories a day of fast food with out the calories in calories out applying why does it always 100% apply to overweight people? The bigger people I know that are 300 pounds dont eat ANYWHERE near 3000 plus calories a day like the internet says it takes for them to maintain that weight....

I am NOT maligning your friend, but I've never met a single 300lb non-athlete who accurately logged their calories in. (I do know some young men who football players and friends with my kids who are 300lbs on purpose and they know what they are eating to get/stay there) And I don't know a single SAHM who has a sedentary lifestyle. Chasing kids, cleaning house, fixing lunch, putting toys and laundry away and chasing kids some more burns the calories whether you are logging them or not.

If you have a deficit AND you are not losing anything over time, then you have a medical problem of some kind. (And one of the 300lb people I know is my punk kid sister; she ate healthy but she ate 3000 calories easily without even knowing she was doing it. She's on MFP now and paying attention. I haven't asked her weight recently; I just care that she's trying to get healthy.)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    math and stuff.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options

this^^^ I have been know to tell the same tale! Unfortunately, it has only hurt me!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

A good place to start would be in not accepting that "fact".

If you take in more calories than you burn, then you store it.

If you burn more calories than you take in, then you burn what you had previously stored.
  • dbarnese
    dbarnese Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take 3,000 calories a day to maintain being overweight. I'd venture a guess that they can eat much less than that to maintain their weight if their basal metabolic rate is low. There are ways to rev up your metabolism, but truth is that some people have a harder time losing or keeping weight off and they have to be more vigilant. However, they are not in "deficit" and maintaining that weight. The only way to truly know how much you are taking in is to record every single thing that goes into your mouth, through a tool like MFP.

If you watch your day to day reports of "If every day were like today you would weigh XXX in six weeks" - you will see that even going 20 calories over your limit will cause you to gain weight over time. (This is over your maintenance level of calories, not the amount you have set for losing).

So if your friend should normally be eating, say, 1800 calories a day to maintain her weight, but comes in at 2000 and exercises as well, she is still going to be over and will maintain her weight quite easily. People often over-estimate the number of calories burned during exercise and then reward themselves by eating those exercise calories back. We need to be realistic with ourselves.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    eats nothing but fast food and is like 110 soaking wet.
    I regularly eat pizza and fast food and lost 50+ lbs using MFP.
    Eating "healthy" != counting calories.

Yeah you could eat 1200-1500 calories of fast food crap and still lose weight. But look at the size of the food, for example I like taco bells Loaded potato grilles they are 470 calories for one, those things are tiny I could easily eat 2-3 of them and then eat again 5-7 hours later,. But that is 940 calories for 2 tiny fast food burritos, I could make 5 times that amount of healthy food for that many calories. A hamburger meal with fries and a coke is easily 800-1200 calories depending on the burger (I used to go to carles junior). That is a waste of calories in my opinion.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

If you burn more calories than you take in, then you burn what you had previously stored.
    Well since I have seen it over and over again first hand I will accept it.
  • YesIAm17
    Options

So you know for a fact exactly how many calories 300lb girl was consuming vs burning? and exactly how many calories skinny girl was burning vs consuming? Really?
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    It doesn't take 3,000 calories a day to maintain being overweight. I'd venture a guess that they can eat much less than that to maintain their weight if their basal metabolic rate is low. There are ways to rev up your metabolism, but truth is that some people have a harder time losing or keeping weight off and they have to be more vigilant. However, they are not in "deficit" and maintaining that weight. The only way to truly know how much you are taking in is to record every single thing that goes into your mouth, through a tool like MFP.

If you watch your day to day reports of "If every day were like today you would weigh XXX in six weeks" - you will see that even going 20 calories over your limit will cause you to gain weight over time. (This is over your maintenance level of calories, not the amount you have set for losing).

So if your friend should normally be eating, say, 1800 calories a day to maintain her weight, but comes in at 2000 and exercises as well, she is still going to be over and will maintain her weight quite easily. People often over-estimate the number of calories burned during exercise and then reward themselves by eating those exercise calories back. We need to be realistic with ourselves.

All the person would have to do that needs 1800 calories and eats 2000 is work out like 400-600 at the gym on the treadmill.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Then I doubt we have anything more to say to you.

Enjoy your "facts" :noway:
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

So you know for a fact exactly how many calories 300lb girl was consuming vs burning? and exactly how many calories skinny girl was burning vs consuming? Really?

Yes these are people I know very well.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Some poor souls are salicylate sensitive and doing all the "right things" does not, will not, can not, work for them. The medical profession do not recognise its possible association with manhy health issues this can contribute to. Anything from joint pain, ME, fibromialgia, breathing related problem, urinary tract infections, blood pressure, thyroid, diabetes, gynecological problems. It seems there is noting it is not capable of making worse. I was at a very low ebb when I discovered my problem and I am on my way to being the person I should always have been.

Contact me if you would like to know more
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    lol at everyone acting like they haven't had a close relative or friend that ate crap all day long, sat around and never gained a pound. Well clearly it can be reversed.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Some poor souls are salicylate sensitive and doing all the "right things" does not, will not, can not, work for them. The medical profession do not recognise its possible association with manhy health issues this can contribute to. Anything from joint pain, ME, fibromialgia, breathing related problem, urinary tract infections, blood pressure, thyroid, diabetes, gynecological problems. It seems there is noting it is not capable of making worse. I was at a very low ebb when I discovered my problem and I am on my way to being the person I should always have been.

Contact me if you would like to know more

Well clearly, some people try the calorie in calorie out thing for months or even years before going to the doctor and figuring out that they are not losing weight because of a health condition. Even though people will just constantly tell them they are doing something wrong.
  • YesIAm17
    Options

Yes these are people I know very well.

Glad you "know" them very well. That's nice. Back to the relevant part... did you personally monitor and log all of their calories consumed vs calories burned? Didn't think so.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this a bit ago - it seems that in most (and I stress most) of these cases, it isn't anything to do with metabolism/any weird medical conditions - it's just one is eating more calories and not burning them, and one is eating less. Nothing more than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr1JUvEiUU
  • YesIAm17
    Options
    lol at everyone acting like they haven't had a close relative or friend that ate crap all day long, sat around and never gained a pound. Well clearly it can be reversed.

lol @ OP ignoring all the science and drawing unshakable conclusions based on hearsay supported by no documentation whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.