Calories in calories out

Options

Replies

• Rawfoodsho
    Options
    There is no debate. Its not black and white. It doesn't always work because its not always 100% accurate. All health issues are not always taken into an account. Now in a PERFECT world where no one has health problems and every single BODY runs the exact same SURE it works 100% of the time, but that isn't reality. Sorry to tell you.

Your argument is equivalent to claiming quantum mechanics is wrong because it was really hard to find the Higgs boson.

Calories in, calories out is correct, for ALL bodies under ALL health issues and ALL scenarios. The fact that it can occasionally be challenging to get accurate and precise measurements in no way invalidates it.

Saying ALL over and over again wont make it MORE scientifically accurate. Because it isn't. It does NOT work with all health issues and body types. Sorry to break it to you.

You have yet to name 1 issue or body type that causes weight to be maintained while in a deficit or prevents gains while in a surplus.... because you can't.... because it doesn't exist.... because science.

Google is your friend, you can find the huge list of medical conditions that have been SCIENTIFICALLY proven yourself.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Apparently this is a forum full of cry baby narcs tattle telling because I was "mean to them on the internet" to the mods. HAHAHA come on put on your big boy pants and grow a pair. Oh noes she was abrasive, guess I should flag her comment even though I was just as abrasive and rude in my last post...Its alright though....lol

The problem is, if people fought with you how they'd prefer to fight, they'd end up with strikes themselves and *poof* no more forums for them.

So best of luck with all of your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The bigger people I know that are 300 pounds dont eat ANYWHERE near 3000 plus calories a day like the internet says it takes for them to maintain that weight....

When I was 300 pounds, I easily ate 3000 calories in a day.
    When I first started MFP, out of curiosity, I logged a meal I used to eat several times a week just to see how many calories it was. Rice and beans and chicken and cheese and avocado and sour cream and corn and did I mention cheese? Yeah so, that ONE meal was over 1200 calories. It was all in one big bowl and...it didnt look like that much to me. (in retrospect it was a rediculous amount) Now, add the bagel with cream cheese I had for breakfast, the bag of Doritos I had for snack, the big sandwich I had for lunch, the other snacks I had before dinner and then a couple of desserts...yeah, 3000 EASY.

I already lost 40 pounds this year, I understand portions, I understand how to read labels, I understand how to make a calorie deficit. I make one daily and that WORKS for me. But it doesn't work for everyone. This topic is not a reflection of myself, I am not a 300 pound person eating whatever they want and crying I cant lose weight. What I am saying is, that it doesn't always work that easily for everyone.

I wasn't talking about you. You commented that none of the 300 pound people you know eat anywhere near 3000 calories...implying that most 300 pound people don't really eat that much but are fat anyway. I was giving you a reality check that yes, people who are 300 pounds typically eat a LOT in order to get to and maintain that weight. As soon as I got control of my intake I began losing. You say it doesn't work for everyone, and I'll give you that...there are SOME people with metabolic disorders who don't work the way the rest of us do but it's a small % so...yeah...most people who are 300 pounds get that way by eating way too much.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    The OP's post..and "conclusions" are the very definition of "anecdotal evidence".

About the thin woman...let me tell you a little secret..some thin people downplay how much they actually watch their calories and really DO work hard on their weight because of the "you dont need to lose weight" comments and other bull**** people spew. They may pretend they don't try to avoid these comments. They may even tell you things like "I eat whatever I want".

I have an example. My step sister. I lived with her growing up almost my whole childhood and teen years. We were together 24/7. She has always been stick thin no matter what she ate. Even after 2 babies the weight came of super easy with out working out. Even into adult hood, she has two kids that are 10-13 they get themselves off to school, she sleeps in, cleans the house once every 3 days, gets up at 11am sits her *kitten* on the couch and plays texas hold em all day. Her and her husband drink a 30 pack of budweiser a day, she drinks an easy 2000 calories of beer a day, she eats junk food all day because YES I have lived with her as an adult and she sits around eating crap doing nothing, she eats WAY over deficit for a 125 pound 5'10 person. I have had conversations WITH HER about how she eats upwards of 3k-4k calories a day of pretty bad food and doesn't gain a pound. She has always been stick thin, very inactive, hated vegetables and water, and always stayed skinny. If I hadn't seen it first hand so many times, I wouldn't believe it.

I have seen skinny girls that I have lived with and YES been around all day be able to eat 3k plus calories a day while being lazy and not gaining. Its already been proven that calories in calories out is not black and white, its got a lot of flaws when it comes to different scenarios. I dont think I have EVER met a 300-400 pound person who DIDN'T have a medical condition. So this is totally flawed because most people have problems.

I applaud both you and her for your calorie estimating abiliites. I know before MFP I couldn't have even come close. I have become pretty good at estimating but I even have days where I still mentally underestimate.

No one is saying those girls TDEE isn't over 3000 for various reason. It doesn't discount calories in vs calories out.

Yes, 300-400 lb people often have medical issues, but there is a difference between medical issues and ones that will affect weight loss.

I am saying her TDEE was NOT over 3000 with her sedentary life style. I am telling YOU I lived with her during adult hood, caloriecounter.come was around back then so it wasn't rocket science to add up calories. I saw first hand someone eat 3-4k calories a day and not gain for YEARS. Also you can read the back of the box and do the math pretty easily. No her tdee is NOT 3-4k and yes she was able to eat whatever she wanted and not gain a pound.

You have no idea what her TDEE was, you're guessing, and you're guess work does not trump science.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    This *must* be trolling at this point. I quit. no one can possibly be this obtuse. You keep stating that you're 100% sure you know how many calories your sister eats, but offer no explanation for its possibility, despite your claims that you've done extensive research on the subject.
    It's been fun, but I can't argue with this level of absurdity.

Here's a parting gift.
    001.jpg

There is no possibility. Beer has the calories on the side of the box, you add up the amount they drink and times it...DING ding, you see them eat no vegetables and drink no water for weeks at a time, while barely ever moving from the computer and they stay the same weight for years. Its not rocket science. This happens all the time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Apparently this is a forum full of cry baby narcs tattle telling because I was "mean to them on the internet" to the mods. HAHAHA come on put on your big boy pants and grow a pair. Oh noes she was abrasive, guess I should flag her comment even though I was just as abrasive and rude in my last post...Its alright though....lol

The problem is, if people fought with you how they'd prefer to fight, they'd end up with strikes themselves and *poof* no more forums for them.

This.

And for the record, I did not report you at any point if I was one of those you were referring to.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    The OP's post..and "conclusions" are the very definition of "anecdotal evidence".

About the thin woman...let me tell you a little secret..some thin people downplay how much they actually watch their calories and really DO work hard on their weight because of the "you dont need to lose weight" comments and other bull**** people spew. They may pretend they don't try to avoid these comments. They may even tell you things like "I eat whatever I want".

I have an example. My step sister. I lived with her growing up almost my whole childhood and teen years. We were together 24/7. She has always been stick thin no matter what she ate. Even after 2 babies the weight came of super easy with out working out. Even into adult hood, she has two kids that are 10-13 they get themselves off to school, she sleeps in, cleans the house once every 3 days, gets up at 11am sits her *kitten* on the couch and plays texas hold em all day. Her and her husband drink a 30 pack of budweiser a day, she drinks an easy 2000 calories of beer a day, she eats junk food all day because YES I have lived with her as an adult and she sits around eating crap doing nothing, she eats WAY over deficit for a 125 pound 5'10 person. I have had conversations WITH HER about how she eats upwards of 3k-4k calories a day of pretty bad food and doesn't gain a pound. She has always been stick thin, very inactive, hated vegetables and water, and always stayed skinny. If I hadn't seen it first hand so many times, I wouldn't believe it.

I have seen skinny girls that I have lived with and YES been around all day be able to eat 3k plus calories a day while being lazy and not gaining. Its already been proven that calories in calories out is not black and white, its got a lot of flaws when it comes to different scenarios. I dont think I have EVER met a 300-400 pound person who DIDN'T have a medical condition. So this is totally flawed because most people have problems.

I applaud both you and her for your calorie estimating abiliites. I know before MFP I couldn't have even come close. I have become pretty good at estimating but I even have days where I still mentally underestimate.

No one is saying those girls TDEE isn't over 3000 for various reason. It doesn't discount calories in vs calories out.

Yes, 300-400 lb people often have medical issues, but there is a difference between medical issues and ones that will affect weight loss.

I am saying her TDEE was NOT over 3000 with her sedentary life style. I am telling YOU I lived with her during adult hood, caloriecounter.come was around back then so it wasn't rocket science to add up calories. I saw first hand someone eat 3-4k calories a day and not gain for YEARS. Also you can read the back of the box and do the math pretty easily. No her tdee is NOT 3-4k and yes she was able to eat whatever she wanted and not gain a pound.

You have no idea what her TDEE was, you're guessing, and you're guess work does not trump science.

Yeah because she couldn't just tell me her TDEE or anything.
  • YesIAm17
    Options

Saying ALL over and over again wont make it MORE scientifically accurate. Because it isn't. It does NOT work with all health issues and body types. Sorry to break it to you.

Just so we're all clear, Are you arguing that your sister, against all probability, burns 3000+ calories each day playing Texas Hold 'em, or are you saying she is taking those calories in through her mouth, but somehow not burning them, and instead flushing them through her system unused?

I honestly think no one actually knows what exactly it is you're trying to convince everyone to believe.
    Rather than a snarky 'You should google it like I did, and not be sheeple' why don't you outline what YOU believe, based on your research, the metabolic pathways is that allow for your sister to perform these feats of gluttony.

Bingo... and I don't think OP knows the answer to this.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    In for the math ... and science :flowerforyou:

You're in the wrong place. Nothing going on here but people letting themselves get trolled.

Or bored people.

Yes, bored people trying to avoid getting up for a snack! :laugh: Too bad I'm not one of those people who can eat 4000 calories a day and stay skinny.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

You're in the wrong place. Nothing going on here but people letting themselves get trolled.

Or bored people.

Yes, bored people trying to avoid getting up for a snack! :laugh: Too bad I'm not one of those people who can eat 4000 calories a day and stay skinny.

You lost 110 pounds I dont think you stayed skinny
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Yeah because she couldn't just tell me her TDEE or anything.

If she can figure out her TDEE, I'd like to know her method. Most people take months of tracking carefully to establish an estimate.
    So between chugging beer and playing online card games she bothered to track her daily intakes and weight?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

People were rude and abrasive. But you people on these calories sites are all the same, you are snaky, rude and often backhandedly insult people all while going "I was just giving advice I swear". You wont get in trouble because I dont waste my time reporting people...Like have you kids been to tumblr yet? Go there and get even more offended easily.

Like this?

Pot, meet kettle.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it isn't what you eat, it's what you DRINK.

When I started i was drinking 1,000 calories a day. Throw in a 900 calorie pot pie (Never noticed there are TWO servings in a package that only has ONE pie. HONESTLY WHY??)

Yea 2,000 calories a day easily without eating anything else. No wonder I couldn't lose a pound.

Challenge your friend to log everything the eat and drink for two weeks. Nothing else. Put them at "Lose 1lb a week" and "active" then don't eat back the exercise calories. I never lost anything when I ate back my Zumba calories. Even with a 2,000 a week deficit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

People were rude and abrasive. But you people on these calories sites are all the same, you are snaky, rude and often backhandedly insult people all while going "I was just giving advice I swear". You wont get in trouble because I dont waste my time reporting people...Like have you kids been to tumblr yet? Go there and get even more offended easily.

What do you mean, "you people"?

:huh:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    This *must* be trolling at this point. I quit. no one can possibly be this obtuse. You keep stating that you're 100% sure you know how many calories your sister eats, but offer no explanation for its possibility, despite your claims that you've done extensive research on the subject.
    It's been fun, but I can't argue with this level of absurdity.

Here's a parting gift.
    001.jpg

I'm Canadian so I am so in.
    Me too. Where'd you get that?
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

What do you mean, "you people"?

:huh:

I am on like 3 different calorie sites, they all have forums, you all act the same.
  • YesIAm17
    Options
    The bigger people I know that are 300 pounds dont eat ANYWHERE near 3000 plus calories a day like the internet says it takes for them to maintain that weight....

When I was 300 pounds, I easily ate 3000 calories in a day.
    When I first started MFP, out of curiosity, I logged a meal I used to eat several times a week just to see how many calories it was. Rice and beans and chicken and cheese and avocado and sour cream and corn and did I mention cheese? Yeah so, that ONE meal was over 1200 calories. It was all in one big bowl and...it didnt look like that much to me. (in retrospect it was a rediculous amount) Now, add the bagel with cream cheese I had for breakfast, the bag of Doritos I had for snack, the big sandwich I had for lunch, the other snacks I had before dinner and then a couple of desserts...yeah, 3000 EASY.

I already lost 40 pounds this year, I understand portions, I understand how to read labels, I understand how to make a calorie deficit. I make one daily and that WORKS for me. But it doesn't work for everyone. This topic is not a reflection of myself, I am not a 300 pound person eating whatever they want and crying I cant lose weight. What I am saying is, that it doesn't always work that easily for everyone.

Wrong, a caloric deficit does work for everyone. Show 1 properly documented case in all of history where it did not work... good luck.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Or bored people.

Considering that she said she's NOT one of these people, I'm not sure what the point of this nasty comment is.

PS: I report people. Suck it.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Or bored people.

What?!

No math?!

Or science?!

I'm outta here !!
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

Like this?

Pot, meet kettle.

If she lost that much weight, which is obviously a huge achievement, then her statement about herself couldn't be true. Its not an insult, its great that she lost that much weight, that is the point of sites like this one.
This discussion has been closed.