Calories in calories out

Options

Replies

• Rawfoodsho
    Options
    So again. I know someone how I grew up with, also lived with in adulthood. Who has TALKED to me about her bmr and tdee who has TALKED to me about how much she eats, who I CAN SEE does almost nothing all day ( my step sister hates to clean and is the basic lazy house wife who plays apps until about 30 min to her husband comes home then she pretends shes been cleaning all day) lol sound familiar? She drinks at least 2000-2400 calories a day of beer that doesn't include all the crap she eats, she hates cooking and eats pizza 2-3 times a week. So YES, I know for 100% fact, no peanut gallery needed, that someone can be stick thin and eat whatever they want. Because I saw it first hand. Was I with her 24/7? Yes we lived together and neither of us worked, so YES I saw her daily in and out routine....Its not that hard to understand.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    The OP's post..and "conclusions" are the very definition of "anecdotal evidence".

About the thin woman...let me tell you a little secret..some thin people downplay how much they actually watch their calories and really DO work hard on their weight because of the "you dont need to lose weight" comments and other bull**** people spew. They may pretend they don't try to avoid these comments. They may even tell you things like "I eat whatever I want".

I have an example. My step sister. I lived with her growing up almost my whole childhood and teen years. We were together 24/7. She has always been stick thin no matter what she ate. Even after 2 babies the weight came of super easy with out working out. Even into adult hood, she has two kids that are 10-13 they get themselves off to school, she sleeps in, cleans the house once every 3 days, gets up at 11am sits her *kitten* on the couch and plays texas hold em all day. Her and her husband drink a 30 pack of budweiser a day, she drinks an easy 2000 calories of beer a day, she eats junk food all day because YES I have lived with her as an adult and she sits around eating crap doing nothing, she eats WAY over deficit for a 125 pound 5'10 person. I have had conversations WITH HER about how she eats upwards of 3k-4k calories a day of pretty bad food and doesn't gain a pound. She has always been stick thin, very inactive, hated vegetables and water, and always stayed skinny. If I hadn't seen it first hand so many times, I wouldn't believe it.

I have seen skinny girls that I have lived with and YES been around all day be able to eat 3k plus calories a day while being lazy and not gaining. Its already been proven that calories in calories out is not black and white, its got a lot of flaws when it comes to different scenarios. I dont think I have EVER met a 300-400 pound person who DIDN'T have a medical condition. So this is totally flawed because most people have problems.

I applaud both you and her for your calorie estimating abiliites. I know before MFP I couldn't have even come close. I have become pretty good at estimating but I even have days where I still mentally underestimate.

No one is saying those girls TDEE isn't over 3000 for various reason. It doesn't discount calories in vs calories out.

Yes, 300-400 lb people often have medical issues, but there is a difference between medical issues and ones that will affect weight loss.

I am saying her TDEE was NOT over 3000 with her sedentary life style. I am telling YOU I lived with her during adult hood, caloriecounter.come was around back then so it wasn't rocket science to add up calories. I saw first hand someone eat 3-4k calories a day and not gain for YEARS. Also you can read the back of the box and do the math pretty easily. No her tdee is NOT 3-4k and yes she was able to eat whatever she wanted and not gain a pound.

How do you know what her TDEE was?

Uh it was REAL hard for her to tell me her info and for us to look it up? I mean you guys act like its IMPOSSIBLE to ask someone their stats or to be around FAMILY a lot...lol

So you just mocked someone above for thinking that everyone basically has the same metabolism and the generic information provided by websites, yet you believe that she could not be an outlier based on you looked up?

Ok.

Not to mention your impressive ability to keep track of portions, which seems to confound so many people, especially without the ability to weight/measure. You are awesome.

Oh is it a hard thing to just ask someone how many calories they eat a day? You people act like its impossible to have a simple two second conversation about someones calorie intake.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The bigger people I know that are 300 pounds dont eat ANYWHERE near 3000 plus calories a day like the internet says it takes for them to maintain that weight....

When I was 300 pounds, I easily ate 3000 calories in a day.
    When I first started MFP, out of curiosity, I logged a meal I used to eat several times a week just to see how many calories it was. Rice and beans and chicken and cheese and avocado and sour cream and corn and did I mention cheese? Yeah so, that ONE meal was over 1200 calories. It was all in one big bowl and...it didnt look like that much to me. (in retrospect it was a rediculous amount) Now, add the bagel with cream cheese I had for breakfast, the bag of Doritos I had for snack, the big sandwich I had for lunch, the other snacks I had before dinner and then a couple of desserts...yeah, 3000 EASY.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Like omg you HAVE ACTUALLY have been around someone else 24/7 to know what they eat!!! SHOCKING
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The OP's post..and "conclusions" are the very definition of "anecdotal evidence".

About the thin woman...let me tell you a little secret..some thin people downplay how much they actually watch their calories and really DO work hard on their weight because of the "you dont need to lose weight" comments and other bull**** people spew. They may pretend they don't try to avoid these comments. They may even tell you things like "I eat whatever I want".

I have an example. My step sister. I lived with her growing up almost my whole childhood and teen years. We were together 24/7. She has always been stick thin no matter what she ate. Even after 2 babies the weight came of super easy with out working out. Even into adult hood, she has two kids that are 10-13 they get themselves off to school, she sleeps in, cleans the house once every 3 days, gets up at 11am sits her *kitten* on the couch and plays texas hold em all day. Her and her husband drink a 30 pack of budweiser a day, she drinks an easy 2000 calories of beer a day, she eats junk food all day because YES I have lived with her as an adult and she sits around eating crap doing nothing, she eats WAY over deficit for a 125 pound 5'10 person. I have had conversations WITH HER about how she eats upwards of 3k-4k calories a day of pretty bad food and doesn't gain a pound. She has always been stick thin, very inactive, hated vegetables and water, and always stayed skinny. If I hadn't seen it first hand so many times, I wouldn't believe it.

I have seen skinny girls that I have lived with and YES been around all day be able to eat 3k plus calories a day while being lazy and not gaining. Its already been proven that calories in calories out is not black and white, its got a lot of flaws when it comes to different scenarios. I dont think I have EVER met a 300-400 pound person who DIDN'T have a medical condition. So this is totally flawed because most people have problems.

I applaud both you and her for your calorie estimating abiliites. I know before MFP I couldn't have even come close. I have become pretty good at estimating but I even have days where I still mentally underestimate.

No one is saying those girls TDEE isn't over 3000 for various reason. It doesn't discount calories in vs calories out.

Yes, 300-400 lb people often have medical issues, but there is a difference between medical issues and ones that will affect weight loss.

I am saying her TDEE was NOT over 3000 with her sedentary life style. I am telling YOU I lived with her during adult hood, caloriecounter.come was around back then so it wasn't rocket science to add up calories. I saw first hand someone eat 3-4k calories a day and not gain for YEARS. Also you can read the back of the box and do the math pretty easily. No her tdee is NOT 3-4k and yes she was able to eat whatever she wanted and not gain a pound.

How do you know what her TDEE was?

Uh it was REAL hard for her to tell me her info and for us to look it up? I mean you guys act like its IMPOSSIBLE to ask someone their stats or to be around FAMILY a lot...lol

So you just mocked someone above for thinking that everyone basically has the same metabolism and the generic information provided by websites, yet you believe that she could not be an outlier based on you looked up?

Ok.

Not to mention your impressive ability to keep track of portions, which seems to confound so many people, especially without the ability to weight/measure. You are awesome.

Oh is it a hard thing to just ask someone how many calories they eat a day? You people act like its impossible to have a simple two second conversation about someones calorie intake.

Are you being intentionally obtuse - the vast majority of people don't know their daily calorie intake. If you ask, most underestimate. Even a lot of people on this calorie tracking website still underestimate.

Then again, I do think you are.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    The bigger people I know that are 300 pounds dont eat ANYWHERE near 3000 plus calories a day like the internet says it takes for them to maintain that weight....

When I first started MFP, out of curiosity, I logged a meal I used to eat several times a week just to see how many calories it was. Rice and beans and chicken and cheese and avocado and sour cream and corn and did I mention cheese? Yeah so, that ONE meal was over 1200 calories. It was all in one big bowl and...it didnt look like that much to me. (in retrospect it was a rediculous amount) Now, add the bagel with cream cheese I had for breakfast, the bag of Doritos I had for snack, the big sandwich I had for lunch, the other snacks I had before dinner and then a couple of desserts...yeah, 3000 EASY.

I already lost 40 pounds this year, I understand portions, I understand how to read labels, I understand how to make a calorie deficit. I make one daily and that WORKS for me. But it doesn't work for everyone. This topic is not a reflection of myself, I am not a 300 pound person eating whatever they want and crying I cant lose weight. What I am saying is, that it doesn't always work that easily for everyone.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I dont think I have EVER met a 300-400 pound person who DIDN'T have a medical condition. So this is totally flawed because most people have problems.

Now you have.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Like omg you HAVE ACTUALLY have been around someone else 24/7 to know what they eat!!! SHOCKING

Have you ? Even my husband, who I cook breakfast and supper for, plus pack his lunch, eats more than I estimate for him. Even we can't possibly be together 24/7.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I already lost 40 pounds this year, I understand portions, I understand how to read labels, I understand how to make a calorie deficit. I make one daily and that WORKS for me. But it doesn't work for everyone. This topic is not a reflection of myself, I am not a 300 pound person eating whatever they want and crying I cant lose weight. What I am saying is, that it doesn't always work that easily for everyone.

Huh? Who said it was "easy"?

It is simple...

...but not easy.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    In for the math ... and science :flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    A scientist declares the sun is just a start and a star is a star and does not give magical powers.

A group of people come forward. We'll call them Clark, Kara, and Connor. These three show that the sun does in fact grant them super human ability. In the OP's world this would render the scientist totally and completely wrong.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

You're in the wrong place. Nothing going on here but people letting themselves get trolled.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Me too, as I already commented. Breakfast at Tim Hortons bagel with cream cheese and coffee, triple triple 800 cals, lunch: grilled cheese and soup, maybe a pop, 800 calories, dinner: maybe pizza or McDonalds, usually Wendy's, 1200 minimum and that's not dessert or snacks in front of the tv. Another 1200-500. 3000-4000 everyday.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    No. Everyone's metabolism is basically the same, with some variation for thyroid baseline which varies no more than 50% percent.
    Obese people should realize that their problem arises from LEARNED BEHAVIOR, and act accordingly.
    The KEY to weight loss is being honest with yourself.

lol everyone metabolism is basically the same....Oh you people on these sites with your same spoon fed generic information. Don't eat bananas either because fruit sugar is EVILLLLL mahahahahaha. What you people believe on these calorie sites is laughable. At least caloriecounter.com doesn't have a whole forum of desperate single people trying to date each other...

ITT RATE THE PERSON ABOVE YOU

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sad, like isn't there a fat people meet.com or something?

0/10 Would not bang

I didn't vote for Obama. The whole Canadian thing kinda crushes that.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This *must* be trolling at this point. I quit. no one can possibly be this obtuse. You keep stating that you're 100% sure you know how many calories your sister eats, but offer no explanation for its possibility, despite your claims that you've done extensive research on the subject.
    It's been fun, but I can't argue with this level of absurdity.

Here's a parting gift.
    001.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

You're in the wrong place. Nothing going on here but people letting themselves get trolled.

Or bored people.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    This *must* be trolling at this point. I quit. no one can possibly be this obtuse. You keep stating that you're 100% sure you know how many calories your sister eats, but offer no explanation for its possibility, despite your claims that you've done extensive research on the subject.
    It's been fun, but I can't argue with this level of absurdity.

Here's a parting gift.
    001.jpg

I'm Canadian so I am so in.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Apparently this is a forum full of cry baby narcs tattle telling because I was "mean to them on the internet" to the mods. HAHAHA come on put on your big boy pants and grow a pair. Oh noes she was abrasive, guess I should flag her comment even though I was just as abrasive and rude in my last post...Its alright though....lol
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    There is no debate. Its not black and white. It doesn't always work because its not always 100% accurate. All health issues are not always taken into an account. Now in a PERFECT world where no one has health problems and every single BODY runs the exact same SURE it works 100% of the time, but that isn't reality. Sorry to tell you.

Your argument is equivalent to claiming quantum mechanics is wrong because it was really hard to find the Higgs boson.

Calories in, calories out is correct, for ALL bodies under ALL health issues and ALL scenarios. The fact that it can occasionally be challenging to get accurate and precise measurements in no way invalidates it.

Saying ALL over and over again wont make it MORE scientifically accurate. Because it isn't. It does NOT work with all health issues and body types. Sorry to break it to you.

You have yet to name 1 issue or body type that causes weight to be maintained while in a deficit or prevents gains while in a surplus.... because you can't.... because it doesn't exist.... because science.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

Or bored people.

They are actually all in the process to crying to the mods right now....I mean when you KNOW you are right you have no need to cry to a mod right? lol clearly their point was not proven and now they went in narc mode.
This discussion has been closed.