Calories in calories out

Options

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're having a crap day and feeling bad about yourself there is no point in starting a thread to ATTACK everyone trying to give you logical reasoning about what you're complaining about...

Thank you for making my day, this thread is hilarious!
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The OP's post..and "conclusions" are the very definition of "anecdotal evidence".

About the thin woman...let me tell you a little secret..some thin people downplay how much they actually watch their calories and really DO work hard on their weight because of the "you dont need to lose weight" comments and other bull**** people spew. They may pretend they don't try to avoid these comments. They may even tell you things like "I eat whatever I want".
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What was the original point?

They are right, we are wrong, science doesn't work unless it supports OP's opinions, etc. At least that is what I took away from it.

Yup. Just gonna leave this link here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    The OP's post..and "conclusions" are the very definition of "anecdotal evidence".

About the thin woman...let me tell you a little secret..some thin people downplay how much they actually watch their calories and really DO work hard on their weight because of the "you dont need to lose weight" comments and other bull**** people spew. They may pretend they don't try to avoid these comments. They may even tell you things like "I eat whatever I want".

I have an example. My step sister. I lived with her growing up almost my whole childhood and teen years. We were together 24/7. She has always been stick thin no matter what she ate. Even after 2 babies the weight came of super easy with out working out. Even into adult hood, she has two kids that are 10-13 they get themselves off to school, she sleeps in, cleans the house once every 3 days, gets up at 11am sits her *kitten* on the couch and plays texas hold em all day. Her and her husband drink a 30 pack of budweiser a day, she drinks an easy 2000 calories of beer a day, she eats junk food all day because YES I have lived with her as an adult and she sits around eating crap doing nothing, she eats WAY over deficit for a 125 pound 5'10 person. I have had conversations WITH HER about how she eats upwards of 3k-4k calories a day of pretty bad food and doesn't gain a pound. She has always been stick thin, very inactive, hated vegetables and water, and always stayed skinny. If I hadn't seen it first hand so many times, I wouldn't believe it.

I have seen skinny girls that I have lived with and YES been around all day be able to eat 3k plus calories a day while being lazy and not gaining. Its already been proven that calories in calories out is not black and white, its got a lot of flaws when it comes to different scenarios. I dont think I have EVER met a 300-400 pound person who DIDN'T have a medical condition. So this is totally flawed because most people have problems.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Spoon fed, inaccurate information? Oh ok
    Which information are you referring to? That calorie deficit isn't needed for weight loss? Or calorie surplus doesn't result in weight gain? Point out what information on this debate that I've stated as fact that's been spoon fed because I've never mentioned anything about diets, supplements or medication for weight loss.

Your turn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Please quote where I said calorie counting ISN'T necessary for weight loss. Saying it doesn't work for everyone, isn't saying that its not necessary for weight loss.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

Obviously there are variations in how different bodies burn, expel, and store energy at different times.

^^ Meaning it is not 100% accurate.
    But it's predictable. While it's never linear, one can go by averages to figure out if one is in calorie deficit/surplus or not. Your grasping at straws to form a debate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

There is no debate. Its not black and white. It doesn't always work because its not always 100% accurate. All health issues are not always taken into an account. Now in a PERFECT world where no one has health problems and every single BODY runs the exact same SURE it works 100% of the time, but that isn't reality. Sorry to tell you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There is no debate. Its not black and white. It doesn't always work because its not always 100% accurate. All health issues are not always taken into an account. Now in a PERFECT world where no one has health problems and every single BODY runs the exact same SURE it works 100% of the time, but that isn't reality. Sorry to tell you.

Your argument is equivalent to claiming quantum mechanics is wrong because it was really hard to find the Higgs boson.

Calories in, calories out is correct, for ALL bodies under ALL health issues and ALL scenarios. The fact that it can occasionally be challenging to get accurate and precise measurements in no way invalidates it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I have an example. My step sister. I lived with her growing up almost my whole childhood and teen years. We were together 24/7. She has always been stick thin no matter what she ate. Even after 2 babies the weight came of super easy with out working out. Even into adult hood, she has two kids that are 10-13 they get themselves off to school, she sleeps in, cleans the house once every 3 days, gets up at 11am sits her *kitten* on the couch and plays texas hold em all day. Her and her husband drink a 30 pack of budweiser a day, she drinks an easy 2000 calories of beer a day, she eats junk food all day because YES I have lived with her as an adult and she sits around eating crap doing nothing, she eats WAY over deficit for a 125 pound 5'10 person. I have had conversations WITH HER about how she eats upwards of 3k-4k calories a day of pretty bad food and doesn't gain a pound. She has always been stick thin, very inactive, hated vegetables and water, and always stayed skinny. If I hadn't seen it first hand so many times, I wouldn't believe it.

I have seen skinny girls that I have lived with and YES been around all day be able to eat 3k plus calories a day while being lazy and not gaining. Its already been proven that calories in calories out is not black and white, its got a lot of flaws when it comes to different scenarios. I dont think I have EVER met a 300-400 pound person who DIDN'T have a medical condition. So this is totally flawed because most people have problems.

I applaud both you and her for your calorie estimating abiliites. I know before MFP I couldn't have even come close. I have become pretty good at estimating but I even have days where I still mentally underestimate.

No one is saying those girls TDEE isn't over 3000 for various reason. It doesn't discount calories in vs calories out.

Yes, 300-400 lb people often have medical issues, but there is a difference between medical issues and ones that will affect weight loss.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

Your argument is equivalent to claiming quantum mechanics is wrong because it was really hard to find the Higgs boson.

Calories in, calories out is correct, for ALL bodies under ALL health issues and ALL scenarios. The fact that it can occasionally be challenging to get accurate and precise measurements in no way invalidates it.

Saying ALL over and over again wont make it MORE scientifically accurate. Because it isn't. It does NOT work with all health issues and body types. Sorry to break it to you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Saying ALL over and over again wont make it MORE scientifically accurate. Because it isn't. It does NOT work with all health issues and body types. Sorry to break it to you.

Ok. It's not my job to convince you of anything, believe what you like and have fun with it.

Cheers.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

I applaud both you and her for your calorie estimating abiliites. I know before MFP I couldn't have even come close. I have become pretty good at estimating but I even have days where I still mentally underestimate.

No one is saying those girls TDEE isn't over 3000 for various reason. It doesn't discount calories in vs calories out.

Yes, 300-400 lb people often have medical issues, but there is a difference between medical issues and ones that will affect weight loss.

I am saying her TDEE was NOT over 3000 with her sedentary life style. I am telling YOU I lived with her during adult hood, caloriecounter.come was around back then so it wasn't rocket science to add up calories. I saw first hand someone eat 3-4k calories a day and not gain for YEARS. Also you can read the back of the box and do the math pretty easily. No her tdee is NOT 3-4k and yes she was able to eat whatever she wanted and not gain a pound.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I am saying her TDEE was NOT over 3000 with her sedentary life style. I am telling YOU I lived with her during adult hood, caloriecounter.come was around back then so it wasn't rocket science to add up calories. I saw first hand someone eat 3-4k calories a day and not gain for YEARS. Also you can read the back of the box and do the math pretty easily. No her tdee is NOT 3-4k and yes she was able to eat whatever she wanted and not gain a pound.

How do you know what her TDEE was?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    You guys and gals are arguing with someone who doesn't even know what "calories in, calories out" means.

What's the point?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    You guys and gals are arguing with someone who doesn't even know what "calories in, calories out" means.

What's the point?

Slow night?
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

Uh it was REAL hard for her to tell me her info and for us to look it up? I mean you guys act like its IMPOSSIBLE to ask someone their stats or to be around FAMILY a lot...lol
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    AigEOqZ.gif
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Just so we're all clear, Are you arguing that your sister, against all probability, burns 3000+ calories each day playing Texas Hold 'em, or are you saying she is taking those calories in through her mouth, but somehow not burning them, and instead flushing them through her system unused?

I honestly think no one actually knows what exactly it is you're trying to convince everyone to believe.
    Rather than a snarky 'You should google it like I did, and not be sheeple' why don't you outline what YOU believe, based on your research, the metabolic pathways is that allow for your sister to perform these feats of gluttony.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    No. Everyone's metabolism is basically the same, with some variation for thyroid baseline which varies no more than 50% percent.
    Obese people should realize that their problem arises from LEARNED BEHAVIOR, and act accordingly.
    The KEY to weight loss is being honest with yourself.

lol everyone metabolism is basically the same....Oh you people on these sites with your same spoon fed generic information. Don't eat bananas either because fruit sugar is EVILLLLL mahahahahaha. What you people believe on these calorie sites is laughable. At least caloriecounter.com doesn't have a whole forum of desperate single people trying to date each other...

ITT RATE THE PERSON ABOVE YOU

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sad, like isn't there a fat people meet.com or something?

For someone who apparently has fat friends/family/whatever, you sure are a jerk when talking about other fat people.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No. Everyone's metabolism is basically the same, with some variation for thyroid baseline which varies no more than 50% percent.
    Obese people should realize that their problem arises from LEARNED BEHAVIOR, and act accordingly.
    The KEY to weight loss is being honest with yourself.

lol everyone metabolism is basically the same....Oh you people on these sites with your same spoon fed generic information. Don't eat bananas either because fruit sugar is EVILLLLL mahahahahaha. What you people believe on these calorie sites is laughable. At least caloriecounter.com doesn't have a whole forum of desperate single people trying to date each other...

ITT RATE THE PERSON ABOVE YOU

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sad, like isn't there a fat people meet.com or something?

LOLwut?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Uh it was REAL hard for her to tell me her info and for us to look it up? I mean you guys act like its IMPOSSIBLE to ask someone their stats or to be around FAMILY a lot...lol

So you just mocked someone above for thinking that everyone basically has the same metabolism and the generic information provided by websites, yet you believe that she could not be an outlier based on you looked up?

Ok.

Not to mention your impressive ability to keep track of portions, which seems to confound so many people, especially without the ability to weight/measure. You are awesome.
This discussion has been closed.