• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Be a hero. Save us. Eat them all!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you are a true friend, commit.

Commit to travel with her to Paris. For the pastries. The belly button. And the experience.
    Commit to learn why the French make such wonders and stay thin. It's the pastries.
    Commit to try them.

And if you fail, there is always Splenda. Think about it ....
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Make her move to Canada. That way she can make us delicious pastries instead
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    You should kill her to save the others. It's the right thing to do.

Killing is a bit extreme. You should do two things: Throw all the party treats in the garbage before the rest of your coworkers can do irreparable harm to themselves by eating them. Then smash her hands with a hammer. Can't make pastry with broken hands.

No. Broken bones heal. I advocate for chopping off her fingers.

269.gif

If you don't like it, abandon this evil path you have started down, and return to a more respectable career.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Lots of foods harm people and so do lots of peoples jobs. She doesn't stuff 12 scones down peoples throats they could have portion control. I do agree that these pastries are nutritionally void though. Maybe she can make gluten free/vegan pastries or something
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Commit to travel with her to Paris. For the pastries. The belly button. And the experience.
    Commit to learn why the French make such wonders and stay thin. It's the pastries.
    Commit to try them.

The French stay thin because they don't bathe and they eat snails. There's no mystery there. The lack of bathing allows superorganisms to breed on their skin which eat all the fat.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with pastrys, and it isn't her fault if people are greedy heffers and overeat
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    My only comment would be: do you pay her bills?

If not, then it's none of your business as long as what she is doing is legal.

To think only of yourself is a little shortsighted don't you think? Will you pay for her to get trained in another profession?

My wife and daughter eat carbs at night, but I don't shun them....get over it.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm going to entertain that you are actually serious. People can eat pastries and be a healthy weight, in fact if she is actually going to be a pastry chef and she makes good money she probably will be serving well to do people who are more likely to be in shape.

Average obese people do not go to a fancy pastry shop to eat fancy unique pastries, they over eat on cheap accessible garbage that's widely available in every supermarket and fast food joint. Think back, how many times did you actually make a trip to a pastry shop to get as heavy as you used to be? I'm going to bet with 99% certainty it wasn't trips to fancy pastry shops that got you there. That's a huge myth: "fat people got fat by eating fat sugar filled fancy pastries and cakes from the pastry chef". Its the 10 for a dollar sugar sale or 3 for a buck candy bars at the checkout, 12 dozen donut deals, cheap pies and pastries, etc etc etc, at the supermarket that got people there, and she wont ever make them because these are pretty much made by machines and she just cant compete with that.

If you could force people to eat her pastries instead of cheap easily available stuff, you may even be helping people...most cant even afford to eat enough from a pastry chef to maintain their intake levels. And if you can fit it in to your diet responsibly, why not have a pastry now and then?

At least she's not going to damage people even more by getting a legal degree or going into finance on wall street or the insurance industry or working for Monsanto... :P With your logic, these are all much much worse.

You were making a lot of sense until the part in bold. I work in finance and please tell me how creating and implementing a fiancial plan and protecting one's future in retirment is the same as feeding people what is for all intents and purposes poison (I'll admit that from what I've seen it is beautifully plated and delciious looking poison). I guess maybe they won't need a financial plan past 50.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with pastrys, and it isn't her fault if people are greedy heffers and overeat

All of these people arguing that pastries don't make people fat are goofy. Next thin gyou know, they will be saying scantily clad women don't cause rape.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is a joke, right? OP, are you saying you would never eat a piece of cake, or a cookie again?
    The idea behind becoming something like a pastry chef is more about artistry than gluttony. Have you never noticed that gourmet meals and fancy pastries are tiny? It's because it's supposed to be THAT good.

Wow. My sister is an excellent pastry chef working at one of the finest hotels in the world. The treats she creates are amazing and beautiful as well as delicious. I couldn't be more proud of her. The epidemic of obesity has nothing to do with pastry chefs. Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines are more responsible for that.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Lots of foods harm people and so do lots of peoples jobs. She doesn't stuff 12 scones down peoples throats they could have portion control. I do agree that these pastries are nutritionally void though. Maybe she can make gluten free/vegan pastries or something

Sheldon-No.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Commit to try them.

The French stay thin because they don't bathe and they eat snails. There's no mystery there. The lack of bathing allows superorganisms to breed on their skin which eat all the fat.

That's it. I'm tearing out the bathtub and finding a snail farm first thing in the morning.
  • dynamicdreamer
    Options
    Looking at your replies, you seem like you're being serious about this so I will respond in kind.

If you can't handle being around your friend who makes these delicious treats, then perhaps you should develop better self-control. It's not up to everyone around you to change who they are just so that you and others can lose weight. If your friend wants to be a pastry chef, you should be happy for her and not judgmental. Your friend is not going to shove her pastries down people's throats and make them eat them. Having a delicious pastry once in a while isn't going to make someone fat.

Saying that she's contributing to the obesity epidemic is a ridiculous assertion because there are pastry chefs all over the world, but the obesity epidemic is an American problem (other countries are becoming more obese but we're more known for it). If your friend can't be a pastry chef, then we should stop all manufacturing of cars because people get killed in automobile accidents. They should stop making alcohol too because people get drunk and do stupid things or drink too much over their lifetimes and have health problems. Do you understand how ridiculous this sounds?

Please be happy for your friend.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should just be happy that she is going to be doing what she loves. Not everyone is that lucky. I am sure she worked really hard to get where she is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

To think only of yourself is a little shortsighted don't you think? Will you pay for her to get trained in another profession?

I think the legality of sugar needs to be looked into...it should basically be banned as a controlled substance.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I think the legality of sugar needs to be looked into...it should basically be banned as a controlled substance.

Only makes sense considering how many people are addicted to it.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lyahnn6QfA1r5t3iw.gif

This is coming from a girl who's currently looking into going to pastry school herself. Just cause you're on a diet doesn't mean people can't indulge once in a while on great food they love. What about birthday cake or wedding cake? Bakers do those and if everyone had the mentality you do, everyone would have to eat packaged stuff...which is probably worse for heath in my honest opinion because at least food from a bakery is made with real ingredients. It's like rolling your eyes at a person for becoming a mechanic because he puts cars on the road for all the drunk and reckless drivers. She's not stuffing chocolate into people and making them fat, people are doing that themselves. I get your point of view but I don't agree with it at all and if someone told me they disagree with me following my dream because it makes people fat.....I'd throw a cupcake at them.....but I'm aggressive that way.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Absolutely. There have been studies on how sugar is just as addictive as crack.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You should kill her to save the others. It's the right thing to do.

LOL at first I was thinking this is a joke post but then I got kind of upset over the post and the sanctimonious tone.

Then I read this and it made me laugh, and now I dont care.