Inconsiderate coworkers wrecking my hard work

Options

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It is all about self control. I used to have a big issue with eating junk food. Well it has been since August that I have had any junk food. It is all about having some willpower. Just tell yourself you are going to do the right thing ... and then do it. No problem.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    As an adult you are 100% responsible for your food intake.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

And nobody is stopping you from stopping yourself from shoving it into your own mouth. Knock it off.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    IBTR...

...which I predict will be here in less than three hours.

Already looking forward to part 2.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    please let this be a joke...

Agreed!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a few coworkers who are on the larger side and continually bring in *kitten* food, leave it on the counter in the kitchen and then send out an email telling us to help ourselves. Today there were two partial cakes from two different people. I have no problem avoiding or limiting my cake (or other nasty snack) consumption when it isn't around the house and I don't miss it. But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack. Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? The kitchen is the only place I can get water and coffee so there's no way I can just be big and avoid it.

1) It would be very wrong to throw it in the garbage. You are not the food police and you have no say in others' food choices.

2) Also a common kitchen area seems like the appropriate place to place shared treats. You're the only one in control of what you eat, so you just need to exercise that control when faced with foods you don't think you can/should eat. Maybe you could start bringing a water/coffee from home in the morning if you find that you lack the ability to control your actions/decisions.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i love these threads.

the answer is:

WILL P_WER.

you should buy an "O" and solve the puzzle.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

Our treat counter is also next to the water. It still doesn't mean I have to eat cake every time I walk by. This is YOUR issue not theirs.

*nodding head in agreement* Our treat counter is also next to the sole source of water that I drink all day. Will power and determination are my friend. I either choose to ignore it or choose to eat it (and track it). However, nobody is forcing anything. They are being nice and friendly and sharing treats with the office. Just because *I* am avoiding those things does NOT mean everyone else in the office has to! This is *my* issue NOT theirs!
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    One of the tricks I use is imagining the junk food with things I can't stand so I'm not tempted (personally, I hate coconut and walnuts so that's what I tell myself. I'll also imagine the worst tasting cake or cupcake ever and assume that is what it really tastes like). Plus, I have my own treats at my desk to keep me satisfied. You are responsible for your choices. No one is shoving it into your face. If you find it worth the calories for you to eat it then plan on how you are going to adjust your day's caloric intake and sort out how much exercising you need to do to cover that extra calories (that will also usually make me have just a taste if I'm too tempted).
  • tonitass
    tonitass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try to counteract their *kitten* food and bring them some healthy snacks to add to the party.
  • AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    Options
    I send stuff to my husbands work all the time! It's mostly guys and they love the treats. I guess you could explain your situation and ask them to leave it in a different spot where you wont see it if you get coffee. But, I think it's something you're going to have to have self control over. I worked at a small town bank where customers were constantly bringing in homemade goodies. It was hard. But so is every other choice we make during the day about which food we're going to eat or not eat.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? T

I hope you're joking. Just because you can't control yourself means the whole office can't have treats?! Ummm no. We also have a treat counter at work - it's called real life and sometimes we have to deal with it. The world doesn't revolve around you.

While my response wasn't gonna carry quite that harshness, I must admit I agree with this sentiment.

I have worked in many offices like that. I worked at a nonprofit that offered free frozen custard (concretes, sundaes, whatever you wanted) delivered to everyone on Friday afternoons. I worked in a psychiatry practice that had 3 dozen donuts every Tuesday and a constant stream of pharmaceutical rep gifts (cookies, candy, nuts, etc) available to staff 8 hrs per day...and one older doc who made creamy chai in a Crock Pot with fresh maple cookies from his wife...yeah...I didn't resist. But it was my fault, not anyone else's!!

For me the harder thing to avoid is people with their constant diet talk. I worked in a law firm where the women OBSESSED all day long over fad diets and weight loss programs. That was such a downer.
    nd one older doc who made creamy chai in a Crock Pot with fresh maple cookies

now that sounds good !!!
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? T

I hope you're joking. Just because you can't control yourself means the whole office can't have treats?! Ummm no. We also have a treat counter at work - it's called real life and sometimes we have to deal with it. The world doesn't revolve around you.

I agree. It would be extremely rude and inappropriate for you to make that kind of call just because it is easier for you. Part of what has to happen for EVERYONE who struggles with their weight is getting CONTROL! We had pizza and pop at work yesterday that was purchased by the bosses for everyone and I simply took my salad and did some self-talk to get through lunch. Start practicing the idea of control and I bet you will still be able to get your coffee and water without issue.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sad truth is NOBODY can wreck your hard work but you. YOU and YOU alone are in control of what goes into your mouth. I had to get told very bluntly that I had to hold myself responsible for my downfalls and myself alone. Be strong and discipline yourself to walk right by that food... maybe if they see your willpower and your success they will all want to join in. :wink:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    2m6og01.gif
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You would find yourself on the wrong end of a pink slip if you threw away someone else's food in my office.

When they say "help yourselves," they are saying "Have some cake if you'd like." Not "Bring your *kitten* in here and eat this cake, or I'll shove it down your throat." Nor are they saying "Take my cake and throw it away because we must all accommodate your total inability to control your behavior."

If you want a pleasant working environment, keep your hands off other people's stuff, and keep your opinions on what other people eat to yourself.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    :glasses:
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I agree, OP! They shouldn't use a public space for their disgusting food. Would people be okay with someone sitting naked on the break room table saying, "Come help yourself, ladies?" NO!!! They would file sexual harassment!

Talk to your boss about this, OP. Maybe they'll lose their jobs!
    I sure hope you are kidding - but just in case you aren't... OP will probably lose her job before the kind people sharing tasty treats will. You cannot compare a naked person on the break room table with a cake. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It is almost surreal it is so nonsensical and illogical.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I am not really sure how you expected this to go but I have to say, just judging from what you have said you are being very selfish and rude. The audacity to expect others in a general work enviroment to bend to what you feel are your needs is extremely selfish and in my mind unthinkable I would NEVER act this way and can't believe you consider it ok. Throwing other peoples food away? Have you lost your mind? It isn't yours to throw away.
    You are responsible for keeping your facehole closed and not stuffing things in it. NO ONE else is responsible for your lack of self control but YOU. Where is your accountability? Sheesh problem with people these days is they wanna blame everyone else for their issues and problems instead of putting the blame where it belongs. Grow a set and get some self control you have to eat everyday several times a day for the rest of your life, it's time you got some better self control. Sorry to be so friggin mean but you're just unreal and need a reality check
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It's your responsibility to control what you eat. Grow up and own it.
This discussion has been closed.