Inconsiderate coworkers wrecking my hard work

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Hmmm take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming the world for your issues. Damn liberals!
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Ummm.... Shut your *pie hole*? :huh:
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Are threads like this real life?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

I agree, OP! They shouldn't use a public space for their disgusting food. Would people be okay with someone sitting naked on the break room table saying, "Come help yourself, ladies?" NO!!! They would file sexual harassment!

Talk to your boss about this, OP. Maybe they'll lose their jobs!

I really think that comparing cake to a naked person is going way too far. I don't even know how you went from cake to that.

It's pretty clear to me really.

Cake ---> Sponge Cake ---> Twinkies ---> Ding Dongs ---->..... Dongs. Naked.

Back in for the dongs.
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Leaving it in the kitchen is not shoving it in your face.

Yes, you would be wrong to throw it out.

You're dieting. other people aren't. They're allowed to have what they want when they want it and to offer it to others. You're going to have to work on willpower. Sometimes, just running the calorie count of something before I eat it deters me from eating it at all.

This.

Honestly, what keeps me away from the office goodies is not knowing the sanitation habits of my co-workers. How do I know their cat's not on the counter, or their kids aren't sneezing in the brownie batter. Nothing like a gross out to keep me far away.

When I bake on the weekends (love to do it, relaxes me), I usually bring whatever my kids haven't snarfed to the office on Monday. I don't want it in my house, and people love coming in on a Monday to homemade cookies.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    would you smoke crack if it was "shoved" in your face, probably not. Just say no, it's pretty easy

Maybe if I was in a drunken stupor.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    So what your saying is your co-workers bring food to share with the office. They put the food in the kitchen (last I checked, that's generally where food goes), but you just can't stand it because you need to get your water from there and the sight of food in a kitchen makes you eat it?

This is like how, after 37 breakup songs, you kind of get the feeling that Taylor Swift is the problem...

Get a grip. Bring your own water. Or fill your water up in the bathroom sink. There's no HR violation here. No grounds for firing. In fact, HR would probably get your complaint and laugh at you because you're being ridiculous.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Um.....

My workplace has the snack machine by the cooler. Every department uses the break room to deposit free treats to be shared. In my office there is a treat table constantly filled with everything you can thank of and plenty of co-workers bring in treats throughout the week.

It's simple.

Don't eat it.

If you can't control yourself then, well, have snacks at your desk that you can eat and enjoy. Or work it into your calories for the day. I used to keep a mini water cooler at mine that I'd fill once in the morning and drink out of all day. Not everyone needs to be punished because you don't want to eat the treats. They have rights too.
  • If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

I agree, OP! They shouldn't use a public space for their disgusting food. Would people be okay with someone sitting naked on the break room table saying, "Come help yourself, ladies?" NO!!! They would file sexual harassment!

I really think that comparing cake to a naked person is going way too far. I don't even know how you went from cake to that.

Hahahaha this. Epic.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

You're dieting. other people aren't. They're allowed to have what they want when they want it and to offer it to others. You're going to have to work on willpower. Sometimes, just running the calorie count of something before I eat it deters me from eating it at all.

This.

Honestly, what keeps me away from the office goodies is not knowing the sanitation habits of my co-workers. How do I know their cat's not on the counter, or their kids aren't sneezing in the brownie batter. Nothing like a gross out to keep me far away.

When I bake on the weekends (love to do it, relaxes me), I usually bring whatever my kids haven't snarfed to the office on Monday. I don't want it in my house, and people love coming in on a Monday to homemade cookies.

Well except for the ones that assume you're dirty and nasty. Your cookies gross them out.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I have a few coworkers who are on the larger side and continually bring in *kitten* food, leave it on the counter in the kitchen and then send out an email telling us to help ourselves. Today there were two partial cakes from two different people. I have no problem avoiding or limiting my cake (or other nasty snack) consumption when it isn't around the house and I don't miss it. But when somebody shoves it right in my face I crack. Would I be in the wrong if I just started throwing this stuff in the garbage? The kitchen is the only place I can get water and coffee so there's no way I can just be big and avoid it.

Yes, you would be wrong to throw it away. The food is about the office not you. You have the choice whether or not to partake.

At our office, there is sweet food in the kitchen, at the front desk, and a coffee table, and I avoid it like the plague.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I'm at a meeting today and they have cake out for our afternoon break. It looks amazing, but there's no way to fit it into my calories so I was going to take an apple from the fruit bowl and get out of there. But this thread has given me an idea -- maybe I should push the snack table over! Everybody would appreciate that, right?

Pick up the cake and throw the entire thing right in the face of whoever is leading the meeting. Then do the table flip for the rest of the table. That'll learn them and be a little extra dose of excitement.
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member

This.

Well except for the ones that assume you're dirty and nasty. Your cookies gross them out.

No doubt. I also never buy things from a bake sale.

It's probably one of those weird OCD type quirks, but the pubic hair in the cookie story a page or so back just illustrates the point. *shudder*
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Muscle up and get on with it sweetheart.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    In to predict return of OP pretending this was a troll all along.

lol-i-troll-you.jpg
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    There are some right idiots about in the world, I would be more concerned with them then people kind enough to bring treats in for their friends....

What I would do it work out if there is a particular time they fetch them in and then either do something somewhere else or eat before they bring them in.

From a psychological perspective It is easy to displace responsibility for our actions onto something or someone else. This allows us to continue an action while not being fully responsible for it - most of us do this at some point of our life , it is human nature. Realizing this though gives you the power back. It is not really the fact the food is there, it can't jump up and enter your mouth, it is you. It is there, you want to eat it so you do. By eating before and realising that you are responsible for your own actions may help. Also try taking an amino acid called 5-HTP, you can get it from health food shops :-) This can increase serotonin levels in your head. Serotonin is a chemical which is important because it helps us psychologically turn off thoughts and feelings (emotional regulation) . I am sure you don't really need it to help you out but it may help in the short term to help you realise you can control your own response :-) Also if the goodies are sweet don't have any sweets/cakes etc before hand. For some people the sugar can trigger a compulsion so if you have some you find it very difficult to have more. By cutting it out to start with will reduce the psychological impact of having the stuff around at work.

Good luck, you can do this :-)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member

This.

TOTALLY AGREE! I have a big problem with food that other people prepare for this very reason!
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Have you ever consider that maybe if you don't want what they bring, you could bring a plate to share things that you feel are healthy. A bowl of fruit, veggies and dip, nuts, cheese and sausage. Be an example. You can only control yourself not the people around you. They are just trying to be nice.
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Goodness some of you can be darn right nasty! Some people have a really hard time with food around, especially certain foods! Put cocaine in front of someone who is a coke head, I betcha he does it! Even if he's been trying to be clean, the temptation is there.

Yeah, I know, some of you don't compare food addiction to drugs but for some people, it's very real.

Pinkie, as for your coworkers bringing in food. I work in an office and just 10 minutes ago I was told there was a box of desserts that a patient brought in, I looked in it, said no thanks and walked away. Now I have to walk by it for the rest of the day but I really also want to succeed at this weight loss. What helped me was thinking about my cheat day this weekend. Also, you mentioned your coworkers were big, just look at them, that should help the temptation.

Good luck and don't let the meanies get to you :smile:
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    would you smoke crack if it was "shoved" in your face, probably not. Just say no, it's pretty easy

But only once, and then I'm totally clean. :wink:
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    So what your saying is your co-workers bring food to share with the office. They put the food in the kitchen (last I checked, that's generally where food goes), but you just can't stand it because you need to get your water from there and the sight of food in a kitchen makes you eat it?

This is like how, after 37 breakup songs, you kind of get the feeling that Taylor Swift is the problem...

Get a grip. Bring your own water. Or fill your water up in the bathroom sink. There's no HR violation here. No grounds for firing. In fact, HR would probably get your complaint and laugh at you because you're being ridiculous.

LOL! I'm convinced Taylor swift dates guys just so she can write songs about them! I mean John Mayer, come on! Everyone thinks he is an a hole.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    OP has probably lost a few calories running from this thread......
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I wanted to test out a new brownie recipe before I make it for the holidays, so I baked a pan yesterday and my husband and I ate some. Ok. We ate a lot. And they were amazing. But right now, there's a half pan of brownies sitting in my kitchen and I haven't touched them today. Why? Because I know I can eat them if I want, and I might have one or two for dessert, but if I eat them like I did yesterday, every day, my pants won't fit. And as delicious as those brownies were, I like having pants that fit better. It's a matter of priorities.

It doesn't matter who brought the treats or where they're located. They could be right under your nose, and if you decide not to eat them, you won't.

For that matter, I've also taught my dog the "leave it" command, and he'll ignore a treat until I tell him he can have it. Don't be less disciplined than a Pekingese.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Ha ha.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    its all about you, not them,,
    who makes the decisions??
    um, you do!
    so get it together.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    For that matter, I've also taught my dog the "leave it" command, and he'll ignore a treat until I tell him he can have it. Don't be less disciplined than a Pekingese.

Haha that is a good point! I will have to think of it this way from now on :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Well done.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Just because you see it doesn't mean you have to eat it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    WOW at some of the responses.

OP ignore the haterz!! They're just jealous.

I think you should not only throw the sabotage in the garbage, but report the perpetrators to HR! Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Yes, please report this to HR...they could all use a good laugh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If they want to have a treat counter, fine, but it should not be next to the only source of water. Nobody is stopping them from putting their cake on their desk.

I seriously just chortled in my office. out loud.

That's quiet possibly the funniest thing I've read all day.

now I can't help but think of dongs and nekkid when I'm eating cake. OMG. Sexy cake.
This discussion has been closed.