Options
    6 Nov 5.34 miles
    7 nov 3.4 miles

thanks guys

MTD 45.74 miles
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Another 36 miles on the bike and 2 walking for a total of 112 miles.

exercise.png
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Quick tip for movers. If you are trying to lose weight and it seems like your exercise isn't doing anything, maybe the problem is not your exercise, but the way calories are calculated. There are a lot of programs out there that calculate calories burned based off your weight, type of exercise and time involved in the exercise. These will give you a ball park figure but may not be anywhere close to accurate for you. Adding a simple heart rate monitor can make your calories burned more accurate. If you are more fit, your muscles will have "Learned" to be more efficient so you can do more exercise with less effort. Your heart rate should reflect this by having a lower heart rate for the same amount of work. However, this is still a calculated number. Power is the real measure of Calories burned. Power is difficult to measure in some types of exercise but when it comes to bicycles, power is the only true measure of calories burned. If you spend 900 watts getting from point a to point b, you know you burned that much. If you just use your heart rate monitor, it may over calculate because your heart rate doesn't come down as quick as your effort does, especially on short steep downhill runs. On the flip side, if you're very fit, your heart rate may be underestimating your calories burned until your muscles adapt to the new exercise. An example of this is my bicycle tonight. I biked for 118 minutes and covered 36 miles. That's about 18mph. I know that's nothing for a couple of you so DCMAT and BUNBU don't laugh too hard. It's OK to laugh. :bigsmile: When I plugged the numbers in to MFP, the calories burned was 2017. Not bad! However, when I used my HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) for the same numbers plus an average HR of 137 with a max of 181, it was only 1535 calories. HOWEVER, when I used the power meter and plugged in how much power was used, I only burned 900 calories. That's quite the difference from the 2017 calculated by MFP.

So, why did I go through all this? If you are getting discouraged about your weight loss despite MFP telling you that you're burning enough calories to be losing gobs of weight, it may not be your fault. It may be that you are not getting told an accurate amount of calories burned. If possible, use a HRM. Power meters aren't cheap and they aren't for everyone but that is your most accurate count. For you runners/walkers, HRM's are inexpensive and are a great addition to your exercise and weight loss plan. :drinker: :drinker:
  • Laurali7
    Laurali7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    4/11: 3.66 miles
    6/11: 3.66 miles
    Total: 7.32 miles
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

OOPs … forgot to say the total for the month is 17.9 miles
    No you didn't! It was right there in your ticker. :smile:

Dave
    [/quote]

Thanks Dave … I wasn't sure if the ticker was the total miles indicator being used or if I had to type it in … :laugh:
  • vicki9168
    vicki9168 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Up to 45.2km
  • belle_74
    belle_74 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    .. adding another 9 running miles. Making a better start to November than I did in October so it is looking good.

exercise.png
  • Jcsmith5210
    Jcsmith5210 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Adding another 9 on the elliptical machine, I hope I'm now in the green :)
  • Avarindria
    Avarindria Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Dave, thank you so much for putting this together and for the suggestion! I'm going to push for 200! :drinker:
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Important food rules:

Rule One - never look another man in the eye whilst eating a banana

@dcmat:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That totally speaks for itself :tongue: :laugh: :laugh: :wink:

Blaine_no,_just_no.gif
    @SPEEDYF - I sure hope you appreciate the irony of the person you picked in your image for this reply.... :laugh:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that..." --Seinfeld

@dave
    :wink: *whispering* what do you think? :wink:
  • speedyf
    Options
    Adding 5.2 mile for last night walk.

exercise.png

Walking: 16.9 Biking: 16.7 Running: 2.7

This is for you dcmat
    despicable-me-o.gif
  • speedyf
    Options
    Great quote Speedy! I need to keep that with me always. (Maybe a tattoo?:noway: )

@taxmom
    :laugh: :laugh:
    Bananas :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And I need to get groceries tomorrow. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :tongue: :drinker:
    I think that this "banana thing" will be a running gag around here for a long time. :laugh:
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    11/6 - 13.57 miles on the bike

total - 18.72 miles for the month.
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Rief3
    Rief3 Posts: 420 Member
    Options