Why is there SO MUCH negativity here?!

Options
Isn't this supposed to be a place of support? Time after time I see threads of success and someone rips them a new one for doing it differently then themselves. TDEE isn't for everyone. Paleo isn't for everyone. High carb high sugar eat everything in moderation isn't for everyone. But, no, people with zero medical skill pipe in about how wrong someone's diet choices are. Seriously, how awful is that? Can't we just say, "RIGHT ON!" and move along? What kind of a support system IS this?!

WHERE ARE MY POSITIVE PEOPLE AT?!

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    This is a community, just like all others, where the members all have their own opinions and right to voice them. You might view them as negativity, but mostly people are just trying to be helpful and share what has worked fro them, personally.
  • SarahMakePretty
    SarahMakePretty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will agree, to an extent. But some people (often) are just plain rude and righteous. We all have opinions, of course. And I don't want to stifle that. But I just see an overwhelming amount of really unsupportive comments.
  • pecas61
    pecas61 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use what helps you and trash the rest! Everyone has an opinion but they all don't have the appropriate filters, LOL!
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options
    We're on the internet, what did you expect? :P
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Here we go.

Search button, OP. Search button.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Fat and angry, duh.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ignore those people. Seek out friends to are supportive.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    they HANGRY
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Isn't this supposed to be a place of support? Time after time I see threads of success and someone rips them a new one for doing it differently then themselves. TDEE isn't for everyone. Paleo isn't for everyone. High carb high sugar eat everything in moderation isn't for everyone. But, no, people with zero medical skill pipe in about how wrong someone's diet choices are. Seriously, how awful is that? Can't we just say, "RIGHT ON!" and move along? What kind of a support system IS this?!

I get what you are saying... but yeah TDEE kinda is for everyone... see if you are losing weight then you are at a deficit of TDEE, if you are maintaining then you are at TDEE, and if you are gaining then you are above TDEE... no way around it, that's the science. Of course how you choose to get to your deficit/maintenance/surplus, what foods you choose to eat, your chosen macros, etc can be a matter of preference and potentially up for debate.

We can disagree and still be supportive of the choice to be healthier.

I think a lot of people have really thin skin and take light-hearted jokes, snark, and gifs as though they are all out brutal attacks on all that is good in the world, when really we just like to use a little hyperbole to make our points in a more entertaining way. Even if you disagree with it you can appreciate the humor and creativity (or attempt thereof). Typically if a comedian on a stage makes fun of your race/religion/habits/etc you don't get all offended, you disagree but enjoy it anyway (at least I do).
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Tone can't be implied online so what you may think is rude very often actually isn't.

Personally I would much rather have blunt, honest opinions than fake 'you go girl' crap that took all of two thoughtless seconds to type.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this is the internet. While many may just come across as rude when trying to present their own opinions, there are certainly some who are just mean for kicks. Hence the "don't feed the troll" concept.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your totally science backed magic formula.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Telling people "right on!" when they're doing something stupid and potentially hazardous is not support, first off. And second....a lot of people are asking questions, so of course they're going to get answers. It's a discussion forum, that's what it's for. Just because you may not like people answers, doesn't mean they're not being supportive.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Negativity is fun! :flowerforyou:
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Because this is a message board for information sharing, debating, learning about new things, and sometimes...support. And sometimes that support comes in the form of saying "no, that's a bad idea." If you want pure-cheerleading, cultivate a friends list of like-minded people.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

I get what you are saying... but yeah TDEE kinda is for everyone... see if you are losing weight then you are at a deficit of TDEE, if you are maintaining then you are at TDEE, and if you are gaining then you are above TDEE... no way around it, that's the science. Of course how you choose to get to your deficit/maintenance/surplus, what foods you choose to eat, your chosen macros, etc can be a matter of preference and potentially up for debate.

TDEE may scientifically work for everyone, but not everyone has the willpower to eat within their TDEE without some kind of restriction like Paleo or Veganism. I personally follow the TDEE method, but it doesn't necessarily work for everyone. (It's a self control issue, not scientific)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    RIGHT ON!

*moving along now*

oh and: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1128928-mfp-fitspiration
    for some serious positivity
  • SarahMakePretty
    SarahMakePretty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    they HANGRY

hahahaha!!!
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    These threads never end well.......
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

well see...the thing is that people spout all kinds of nonsense that isn't backed by any kind of science and can often be dangerous to other naive users...so some people like to point out that nonsense and actually feel that that is more supportive then just letting someone do something that's actually stupid, might be dangerous...might be a waste of time and money, etc. Most of us are also blunt and don't **** rainbows and daisies either...

also...

new.gif
This discussion has been closed.