How do you make plain non-fat Greek yogurt taste good?

Options

Replies

• slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my greek yogurt with grapefruit.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Instead of Alfredo u can use Greek yogurt, plain as your base. Cool recipes here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pasta-with-yogurt-sauce/

If you don't want pasta, use spaghetti squash! Add your favorite veggies such as mushrooms,onions, garlic, red and green bellPeppers. Top pasta or squash with favorite meat. Baked salmon, chicken, tuna steak etc!

Enjoy!

Shan
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    throw it out and buy vanilla

eat with fresh fruit. berries, pineapple, grapes . . .

YEP, I'd say this. ^ I don't do plain but think the Zoi honey and vanilla flavors and Greek gods honey vanilla and honey strawberry are the stuff of heaven. I could have them on tap and only eat that with fresh fruit and my Kashi and Fiber One cereals and be perfectly happy. My fave is with bananas. Whenever something calls for plain yogurt, I generally use vanilla or honey instead; and I use a tablespoon of honey greek in place of salad dressing alot of times or instead of mayonnaise in my low cal lunch wraps.
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    if its too sour for you try adding some stevia maybe.
    i eat it as a milk substitute so sometimes i have it with my cereal or oats!
    honey and jam are also great toppings.
    fresh fruit too= sweet and fibre full.
    hope this helps!
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I make a curry out of it.. Sounds unconventional but a pretty common meal in my moms house..

Here is my low calorie recipe:

Fry cumin seeds, bay leaves and green chilli in 1 tsp oil (you can skip the oil but it will not be so tasty)
    saute onions till brown
    add boiled potatoes cut in cubes and saute a little more
    add the greek yogurt and stir
    in a small bowl mix 1/2 tsp coriander power, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 chilli powder(increase or descrease amount of spicesas you like it), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp salt(according to taste) and make a paste

add the paste after 5 mins and add a little more water if you want gravy.. cook for some more time and eat with whole wheat roti or rice.. or without anything if u like..
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I... just eat it plain. That might be gross to a lot of people, but it tastes good to me.

This!

If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Although...... You could try adding some fruit, either pureeing it to make a smoothy / home-made yoghurty thing, or have just whole bits or fruit. Or honey. I'm really against artificial sweeteners as the science doesn't support them as a healthy alternative.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The other way I eat yogurt is an Armenian thing I've been doing since I was little. Pasta, some melted butter, some garlic, and a dollop or two of yogurt, mix it all together. I get some weird looks when I make it, but it's long been a staple in my household. :)

(Weird quirk - yogurt by itself is always yogurt to me. When I make it like described above, I *always* refer to it in Armenian ("mahdzoon").)
  • bmottola
    Options
    Love Fage 0% plain greek yogurt. Its great all on its own. I do like to add a litte protein packed granola and a drizzle of honey. Its great as sour cream as well (use it how you would use sour cream in any way).
  • Shortjay25
    Options
    I've just recently become obsessed with plain 0%fage mixed with just a teaspoon of peanut butter.I've added sliced apples and grapes, and can't wait to try it with bandanna.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I added honey and cinnamon. Sometimes I added almond slivers or blueberries.

Then I stopped forcing myself to eat that stuff. Gross. :tongue:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Last week I ate my plain non-fat greek yogurt with my homemade apple pie filling. Delish! lol
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    tagging for later
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For me there is nothing that makes plain Greek yogurt taste good. However, with vanilla Greek yogurt I love to add a tablespoon of peanut butter and half a sliced banana for a great post workout fuel.
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    Whoops posted twice and don't know how to delete (sorry)
    Internet keeps crashing in the middle of posts -_-

Real post is below though :)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    I used to hoard chobani flavored yogurts until I checked the label and realized how much sugar + junk is in them (and same with yoplait/dannon) etc.

Now just buy Fage 0% (super think) and add in my protein powder + some stevia and let it thicken a little in the freezer. I like to add on a chopped up warm protein bar but otherwise:

-bananas, pb, dark choc chips, banana protein powder = chunkey monkey
    -pomegranate
    -white chocolate chips, vanilla whey, raspberries
    -mixin some cream cheese + stevia + blueberries, almonds = blueberry cheesecake!
    -marshmallows, chocolate almonds, choc whey = rocky road!
    -pumpkin, stevia, spices = pumpkin pie
    -pistachio pudding mix + fresh pistachios
    -walnuts, allspice, honey, almonds, cardamom, rosewater, pistachio = baklava
    -guavas
    -green tea powder + stevia
    -bananas, maple syrup, cinnamon = pancake flavor
    -dates/figs
    -bee pollen
    -poppy/chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds

Endless possibilities!!! :)

This is mine from yesterday: Fage, Pomegranate, Whey, Udi's Granola, Stevia, Cinnamon, Banana w/ mom's coconut macaroons, snickerdoodle, and some medjool dates and peanut butter

http://i.imgur.com/gCf45XK.jpg
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I mix 1c plain ff greek yogurt with a scoop of either vanilla or chocolate protein powder and then 1tbs of the same davinci sugar free syrup. That is my base that I then mix with fruit (vanilla) or cinnamon (choc) or whatever else I feel like throwing in.

Makes for a protein packed meal for a reasonable calorie count (depends on your add ins)
  • fishergal5
    fishergal5 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I add it to my quesadillas instead of sour cream, along with some home made pico de gallo.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You can't. Join me in giving up and just be happy with regular yogurt. I just get the extra protein from ground turkey or Atkins protrin bars, etc!!!!
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Honey & or stevia or just any fruits