Any gamers out there?

Options

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Anyone going to be playing Elder Scrolls Online? If so, which console or are you going to play on PC/Mac? :happy:

I will be playing TESO on PC. My boyfriend got accepted for the Beta, I didn't. I am considering stealing his Key lol.

It does look interesting. PC definitely. Mac is not really a suitable gaming platform, due to relatively little being produced for it.

Not wanting to start a Mac VS PC war but Mac can handle games. An iMac will probably be a better choice because it doesn't over heat like Macbook Pros do but with that being said, they can also game. Thank you.

It's not about what the hardware can handle, but rather simply what's available. Only a small fraction of what's available for PC is out for Mac, and a lot of the biggest selling games are not out for Mac. So which has better hardware doesn't matter. It's about which has more games. I'm not adamantly anti-mac, really, it's just that every time I log onto something like Steam and see just what small percentage of what's out there is Mac compatible, I'm reminded that Macs are not suitable for use as a primarily gaming platform. Compatibility > all else.

Also I'm sort of old school in the fact that I don't consider a laptop to be a suitable gaming based rig, so an argument based on using laptops as examples doesn't matter much to me.

Download Windows on it, you get the best of both worlds. Problem solved.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Anyone going to be playing Elder Scrolls Online? If so, which console or are you going to play on PC/Mac? :happy:

I will be playing TESO on PC. My boyfriend got accepted for the Beta, I didn't. I am considering stealing his Key lol.

It does look interesting. PC definitely. Mac is not really a suitable gaming platform, due to relatively little being produced for it.

Not wanting to start a Mac VS PC war but Mac can handle games. An iMac will probably be a better choice because it doesn't over heat like Macbook Pros do but with that being said, they can also game. Thank you.

It's not about what the hardware can handle, but rather simply what's available. Only a small fraction of what's available for PC is out for Mac, and a lot of the biggest selling games are not out for Mac. So which has better hardware doesn't matter. It's about which has more games. I'm not adamantly anti-mac, really, it's just that every time I log onto something like Steam and see just what small percentage of what's out there is Mac compatible, I'm reminded that Macs are not suitable for use as a primarily gaming platform. Compatibility > all else.

Also I'm sort of old school in the fact that I don't consider a laptop to be a suitable gaming based rig, so an argument based on using laptops as examples doesn't matter much to me.

I could do that, but at that point you might as well just build your own rig (like I have). If it doesn't do what I want it to do out of the box, I'll just build something from scratch and save money.

IMO it goes like this (for gaming, bear in mind):

Home built PC > Mac > Console > Store bought PC
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options

I could do that, but at that point you might as well just build your own rig (like I have). If it doesn't do what I want it to do out of the box, I'll just build something from scratch and save money.

Actually if we follow the above posters argument, then it should be CONSOLE>OWN RIG>STORE BOUGHT RIG>MAC if the denominator is how many games are available?

FYI I have always built my own rigs and love pc's.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Actually if we follow the above posters argument, then it should be CONSOLE>OWN RIG>STORE BOUGHT RIG>MAC if the denominator is how many games are available?

FYI I have always built my own rigs and love pc's.

Prior to the advent of Steam and other similar services I would have agreed. But there are SO many F2P games out for PC now through those sorts of services that it's not even close anymore. And quality does count for something. There are so few store bought PCs that can handle gaming without modifications/upgrades that I would have to say they aren't even in the ballpark, and why I rated them below Mac.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My only problem with Mac's, especially in our country, is the price vs performance problem. For what I would pay for a mac, I can build a monster pc.

Just my 2 cents.

I felt it was worth the price for the nice screen and the fact it doesn't have windows on it lol
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm replaying Dragon Age Origins. I'm waiting for Black Flag to come out on Steam though. I want my AC fix!

I just did that and I'm now replaying DA2. I can't wait for Inquisition!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    My only problem with Mac's, especially in our country, is the price vs performance problem. For what I would pay for a mac, I can build a monster pc.

Just my 2 cents.

I felt it was worth the price for the nice screen and the fact it doesn't have windows on it lol

You can get the nice screen for pretty much any computer.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If so, what is your favourite game or a game you're currently playing right now?

I'm playing the Assassin's Creed series. Yes, I know it's been out for ages but I only just got back into it. :)

Rocksmith 2014 - with a doubt, the best game/software I have EVER purchased. Simply the best, fastest, easiest way to learn the guitar.

Also playing the AC series, currently on Revelations.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    Options

Just my 2 cents.

You can get the nice screen for pretty much any computer.

Girls, girls, you're both pretty!! :laugh: :wink: It really doesn't matter, whatever tickles your fancy. The cornerstone of gaming is enjoying yourself, and if that is on a mac or pc or console, we're still all in it for the love of the game.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    Options
    If so, what is your favourite game or a game you're currently playing right now?

I'm playing the Assassin's Creed series. Yes, I know it's been out for ages but I only just got back into it. :)

Rocksmith 2014 - with a doubt, the best game/software I have EVER purchased. Simply the best, fastest, easiest way to learn the guitar.

Also playing the AC series, currently on Revelations.

Also thought about getting rocksmith. I own a 1962 Fender Jazzmaster, and I can't play it.? *Yikes*
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    PC Master Race here. Currently playing BF4 - Rank 24. Add me
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Never really been hardcore into gaming but.. .currently: Some wow here and there (been bored with it a while), trying to get into dota 2, Civ V... :) Stuck on computer games because my dad put the tv in the wall and the sytem in the basement so there's no way I can hook up a console. @_@
  • valandario
    valandario Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say mac's are bad for gaming. I have one specifically for that which I would pick over my PC every day.

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4X8GB
    3TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

Have a PC too because it is often easier to find games for that but overall i find the iMac more comfortable. Use another iMac for work stuff, not up to gaming. Then a MacBookPro for a bit of both. Obviously have the tablets, etc but I don't really count app games as gaming.

Assassins Creed, wow, FFXI online, dragon age, the witcher, cod occasionally, PWI star trek online, Diablo, starcraft, heck all sorts. I'll give most games a try. Started out many years ago with the first M.U.D where I was a coder, back in the days before the internet was full of pretty pictures and kids. It was all very geeky and sexy back then, ahhh how i miss that...
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I wouldn't say mac's are bad for gaming. I have one specifically for that which I would pick over my PC every day.

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4X8GB
    3TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

Have a PC too because it is often easier to find games for that but overall i find the iMac more comfortable. Use another iMac for work stuff, not up to gaming. Then a MacBookPro for a bit of both. Obviously have the tablets, etc but I don't really count app games as gaming.

Assassins Creed, wow, FFXI online, dragon age, the witcher, cod occasionally, PWI star trek online, Diablo, starcraft, heck all sorts. I'll give most games a try. Started out many years ago with the first M.U.D where I was a coder, back in the days before the internet was full of pretty pictures and kids. It was all very geeky and sexy back then, ahhh how i miss that...

The point you addressed about how its simply easier to find games for PC was my whole point about saying PCs are better for gaming. It had nothing to do with the hardware IMO.
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Another gamer here, World of Warcraft was my 'thing' for 7 years (yes, 7) but I quit when they gave us pandas. Because pandas. 'nuff said.

Playing League of Legends now, come meet me on EUW, midlane Talon wtfpwing everything ;)
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm currently playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes, and before the Civilization 5, Skyrim, Dragon Age games, Deadpool, Guild Wars 2, and others of that ilk....

I'm PC all the way, built my own rig and have a pretty nice set up with my 50" flatscreen. Very casual gamer though, I love the stories rather than competition.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    In theory. In practice, I think the last time I sat down at a game was when I was on vacation and fell into XCOM. That was in July :(

Boyfriend is currently immersed in GTA5, though.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

I'll probably try it on PC if the laptop is up to specs. I just suck so badly at PC games. Maybe if I practice more.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Another gamer here, World of Warcraft was my 'thing' for 7 years (yes, 7) but I quit when they gave us pandas. Because pandas. 'nuff said.

Playing League of Legends now, come meet me on EUW, midlane Talon wtfpwing everything ;)

WOW was what brought me back to PC gaming initially after completely abandoning it in favor of consoles when the wave of 32 bit consoles hit (Saturn, Playstation). I played from Vanilla through BC. I quit shortly before the Lich King expansion came out, because I realized that I had absolutely no patience for the grind and all I wanted to do was PVP. Also, real life happened and I no longer had the time to devote 4-5 hours to it every time I logged on, which is something more or less required by MMOs at endgame. After discovering Steam and the wealth of free to play titles available for the PC, I grew to feel that the PC was all the gaming platform I needed, so I never bought an Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii, or PS3. And that tradition will likely continue through the current wave of consoles.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options

WOW was what brought me back to PC gaming initially after completely abandoning it in favor of consoles when the wave of 32 bit consoles hit (Saturn, Playstation). I played from Vanilla through BC. I quit shortly before the Lich King expansion came out, because I realized that I had absolutely no patience for the grind and all I wanted to do was PVP. Also, real life happened and I no longer had the time to devote 4-5 hours to it every time I logged on, which is something more or less required by MMOs at endgame. [snipped]

I played WoW from just after release to a little after the release of the Sunwell Island during BC. DId a fair bit of true end-game raiding....Quit for a few years due to military depolyments and such, then I came back for the Lich King expansion, played a few months and took a break... I was gonna get back into it right after the Ulduar expansion and was watching a friend play....his Priest had almost 100k hp in raid gear....mind was blown. When I was raiding MC in 09, tanks had 7-8k hp, and when I stopped in 10, tanks had 50k raid buffed...now HEALERS have 100k HP?

Talk about mud-flation. eff that.