what's with all the hate?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, this should be really off topic but these last few days I have noticed a surge in hate comments to threads and just basically people trying to find excuses to start an argument. Why is that? Why the irritation/frustration?
    I know it looks like everybody's doing just because these argumentative people make more of a fuss than everybody else, so they seem to be many more than they actually are but really, I see people ridiculing things like loss of water weight, dietary choices, plateaus, when really, aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys? Why trying to put others down? it's not even constructive criticism, it's just trying to be borderline rude.
    I haven't been here long, so maybe someone with more experience can explain it to me: why does it seem like arguments can start from basically every single thread in every single forum???

I find it rude that you stereotyped everyone, saying that we all need to lose weight. Basically calling everyone a fatty
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.

Thats the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw this thread :wink:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Is it hate or is it people posting information that isn't correct and then not liking being corrected?

No. It's hate, alright.

Best to report any posts which cross the line to the moderators. Don't respond to the people that post inflammatory comments, just put them on ignore. They want to engage you - they want to upset you, it's all they know. Pity them.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Ya, some threads/posters need to be ignored. They're on here for different reasons than we are. There's a lot of safety in anonymity.

But the op said we're all here for the same reason.

This is the hardest thing about MFP: I can never remember if we're all different, and here for the same reason, of if we're all the same, and here for different reasons.

We're all snowflakes hanging out inside the same snowball...

Why does this make me visualize us all as poo?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're not eating enough, which makes them cranky.
    :angry:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Is it hate or is it people posting information that isn't correct and then not liking being corrected?

No. It's hate, alright.

Best to report any posts which cross the line to the moderators. Don't respond to the people that post inflammatory comments, just put them on ignore. They want to engage you - they want to upset you, it's all they know. Pity them.

Implying people are pitiable could conceivably upset someone, and make them want to engage you.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Madness is what you demonstrate
    And that's exactly how anger works and operates
    Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight
    Take control of your mind and meditate
    Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all
    People killin', people dyin'
    Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
    Can you practise what you preach
    And would you turn the other cheek
    Father, Father, Father help us
    Send some guidance from above
    'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
    Where is the love?
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, this should be really off topic but these last few days I have noticed a surge in hate comments to threads and just basically people trying to find excuses to start an argument. Why is that? Why the irritation/frustration?
    I know it looks like everybody's doing just because these argumentative people make more of a fuss than everybody else, so they seem to be many more than they actually are but really, I see people ridiculing things like loss of water weight, dietary choices, plateaus, when really, aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys? Why trying to put others down? it's not even constructive criticism, it's just trying to be borderline rude.
    I haven't been here long, so maybe someone with more experience can explain it to me: why does it seem like arguments can start from basically every single thread in every single forum???

Agreed!!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Please provide examples and links.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Is this the second mean people thread that's been sparked by a thread that was telling everyone to switch to 1200 cals/day?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Constructive criticism and often blunt advice against dangerous or ill-advised weight loss schemes, yes. Hate? I've never come across that on here.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    when really, aren't we all on MFP just to feel encouraged and focused on our personal weight loss journeys?

what on earth gave you that idea?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Madness is what you demonstrate
    And that's exactly how anger works and operates
    Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight
    Take control of your mind and meditate
    Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all
    People killin', people dyin'
    Children hurt and you hear them cryin'
    Can you practise what you preach
    And would you turn the other cheek
    Father, Father, Father help us
    Send some guidance from above
    'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
    Where is the love?

you totally stole my song quote.

how dare you?

hmmmm

how about:

I don't know the reason why we do these things
    Why we fight despite all the tears and the hurt it brings
    I know no one else can fill this space inside our hearts
    So then why are we trying to make us break apart?

If we love each other, why do we hurt each other?
    If we need each other, why do we make each other sad?
    If we care about each other, why do we bring pain to one another?
    Why do we make each other sad, treat each other bad?
    If we love each other why do hurt each other this way?
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Its like that on all online forums, I've joined various forums ranging from Model boats to Mustangs (car) and its all the same....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

No. Some of us are here for honest and real truth answers and information. Those people are for us. Sorry if they bothered you, just try searching the groups lists for people more to your liking and also feel free to post a thread asking for friends of the type you seek. You could fill your friends list with them and then ask your questions on your newsfeed or just have all the high fives and WTG's that keep you motivated with none of the other stuff. I have been here nearly a year. My fave features are 1)ignore and 2) block. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Please provide examples and links.
    waiting_gif_zps5d726a83.jpg
  • libyloba
    Options
    Hi, I was thinking the same thing. On my very first post here I was called foolish because I was eating about 800 calories per day. Someone actually deducted that it was because I was once eating too much that I was now overweight and I'm now on this diet. Ni w I was in the wrong and I admited it. I realized that 800 calories a day while exercising 1 hour (burning anywhere from 600 to 800 calories) was not a good idea but instead of being constructed they seemed like they were bulling me a bit.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    It's just typical group behaviour. Initially group members tend to communicate politely, if guardedly. Then conflict arises - how the group deals with the conflict determines its future success. Groups that stay in conflict will either dismantle or become dysfunctional.

Once conflict has been resolved the group strengthens and moves past untils goals are achieved or deadlines are met and then it dismembers. Or a group keeps its impetutus but changes its members, like this one as people start, struggle and then finish their journey.

Those who cannot resolve conflict within an evolving group remain stuck there while others come and go... the Lost Boys, if you like. They make their own group etc etc...
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I don't care enough about anyone here to hate them. I do care enough to type out a reply telling people that they don't have to make themselves completely miserable to lose weight. Then I get called "unsupportive" and "negative" for not supporting extreme or expensive weight loss gimmicks.

Then I have to care even less. That's where random gifs help.

Random.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    th?id=H.4579553041055784&pid=15.1