How do you make plain non-fat Greek yogurt taste good?

Options

Replies

• terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat 2% and full fat. My regular standby additions are my homemade granola made with black strap molasses and Honey. When I get bored with that I will add polanders low sugar jam. Love some of the ideals given - thank u
  • MalloryMelts
    MalloryMelts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I add a half packet of sugar free jello.... it tastes awesome! It gets thick though so add to your preference!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    1 cup of Fage 0%, 1 tbsp. Hershey's Special Dark cocoa, 2 tbsp. Stevia, .5 cup of fruit..usually frozen blueberries or fresh strawberries.
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I always add some lemonade!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Some protein powder makes a good fruit dip. I've added too much of cinnamon roll flavored powder to it and it made a great cream cheese flavored icing. (I put it on homemade carrot muffins and it was rather like having carrot cake.)

I also use it to replace mayo in my chicken and tuna salads. I like to add a little curry and cumin to it this way.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought: Don't eat non-fat plain if you don't like the taste. I switched to full-fat, whole-milk plain yogurt six months ago and have never looked back. I get Fage Total Complete. It's hard to find in stores -- I can only find it at health food stores like Whole Foods, Earth Fare, and our local Natural Foods Co-op. Contrary to popular belief, saturated fat in moderation is not the devil and it won't make you fat. I eat full-fat yogurt almost every morning with a little low-sugar granola and/or some fruit. It keeps me full and satisfied and it tastes rich and creamy like a dessert. I haven't gained a single pound and my cholesterol is still a low, healthy number.
  • BKarenLong
    BKarenLong Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dessert:
    For 16 oz. Greek or Regular non-fat yogurt ADD:
    1 can of crushed pineapple in natural juice.....undrained
    1 package (1 oz.)of Jell-o Sugar Free Instant Pistachio Pudding
    Mix together well and enjoy!

Or....

Vegetable Dip:
    Sprinkle to taste some Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix to a portion of Greek or Regular non-fat yogurt.
    Mix well and enjoy!
    It's a hit at parties....even for the non dieters.
  • marketing13
    Options
    check out the supermarket aisle. Find the flavored yogurt ones you like and turn the plain into those. There is a great recipe from hungry girl that uses it to make the hot buffalo chicken dip. That stuff is to die for.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Your first problem is eating fat free yogurt, which will never taste like real yogurt, period. Try the full fat stuff sometime and you'll immediately realize what you've been missing. Full fat Greek yogurt is about 10% milk fat. It's as thick and creamy as sour cream. Those extra fat calories will not only satisfy that craving for fat, but will fill you up for much longer, so you can eat less and just take them off of something else in your totals for the day.

Also, I lost 45 pounds consistently eating a diet where I got 50% of my calories from fat (most of if saturated), so don't think for a minute that high fat isn't a great weight loss strategy unless you actually enjoy being hungry all the time by avoiding fat and eating mostly carbs.

The second problem that is yogurt is supposed to taste like yogurt and not like a milkshake or ice cream or pudding or custard pie or whatever. If you're wanting something sweet and with no hint of tartness, then don't eat yogurt. Get some ice cream or a piece of pie. Like many foods, you may have to develop a taste for it. We don't come into this world liking everything that's good for us or that we currently like. Just a very small amount of maple syrup will balance off some of the tartness of yogurt without making it sweet. It's also a handy trick you can use to substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream in a recipe. I used to do that when I ate plain Greek yogurt for a while, but put less and less maple syrup in over time until I really now enjoy the flavor of good plain full fat yogurt all by itself (although I do sometimes add some liquid coconut oil and slivered almonds to make it even more creamy and ever higher fat).

If you're in the Northeast, the Cabot 10% milk fat plain Greek yogurt is the best I've ever had and everyone I've turned on to it says the same thing. It's even getting hard to get where I am because the grocery store keeps running out of it as more people discover it. .
  • rdemarse
    rdemarse Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I add a little vanilla, butter, nut flavoring (from baking aisle at grocery) and a packet or two of stevia....then top with berries or dry cereal for desert-like treat! Let your imagination take it from there....dozens of possibilities, so yummy and 20 grams of protein!
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    im sure half of these have been said before, but ill throw them in just incase.

PB2, stevia extraxt, Sugar Free coffee syrups, jam, protein powder, dijon mustard, fruits.

flavored yogurt is just bad news, always go with the plan and flavor it yourself in a healthy way.
  • sc193usa
    sc193usa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Honey and walnuts has been my go to dessert, or mixed with peanut butter and cinnamon for a fruit dip. I'm really here to hear all the other ideas!
  • wimpywrx
    wimpywrx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Liquidize strawberry's and add yum yum.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think that I got some today (may have been plain yogurt). I added some caramel coffee flavoring. Fage is really good yogurt, and I don't like Greek yogurt bc of the sour taste. Why can't you just use plain yogurt? Dannon makes a new Greek yogurt that's good. I believe that it's the fit/light and they even have a commercial about it not being sour.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Bump and my favorite greek yogurt is the non fat fage brand. Seems like you can really use it as the base for anything really, savory or sweet. Lately, I've been mixing mine with peanut butter, white chocolate chip and topping with non fat cool whip
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i am addicted to Nordstrom's eBar's version.

1 cup greek yogurt topped with honey and dried apricots, figs, and other fruits. That is topped with granola in the lid which I then add cinnamon and nutmeg from the coffee bar's helpings before adding into the yogurt. I am truly hooked on this deliciousness. It's amaze.
  • GetFitNicky
    GetFitNicky Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A few walnuts with about teaspoon of honey. Classic Greek dessert treat!
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Crystal light
  • AdyleeAnne
    Options
    Get the drink packets, I get the great value Berry Pomegranate, makes it taste just like blueberry yogurt. Then I mix just a touch of Special K almond cereal I'm, and chopped strawberries, add a few almonds. So good!