1200 calories, exercise, but no weight loss!!

Options

Replies

• kaw487
    Options
    If you're truly only eating 1000-1200 calories but weigh what you listed, you are probably in metabolic downregulation. Your body is smart, and it senses the over-deficit of calories, therefore it's conserving. The ultimate goal for you should be to eat as many calories as you can while still losing weight (and sometimes this takes careful tracking and some trial and error). This article explains it well - http://www.coachcalorie.com/how-to-lose-20-pounds/. My personal recommendation is to consider doing what is recommended in the article.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In for the ragequit because OP didn't get the answer she wanted.
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    In a nutshell, it seems that the majority of people responding to my post feel that I am eating a lot more calories than what I am logging. I am logging everything and I don't think it would be healthy for me to eat less than what I am eating now. So, basically I have learned that I should eat more, I should eat less, I should work out more, I should work out less, I am paranoid, I may have an ED, I need to change what I am doing, I need to stick to what I am doing, etc. I am more confused now than I was when I originally posted this! Ha Ha!!! To those of you that are truly here to help....THANK YOU!! And to those of you that find joy in being rude and sarcastic and have no desire to be helpful, get a life!

HaHa! All of this feedback brings it right back to you though. No doubt many of the folks who have chimed in are sharing what works for them - everybody (or every body, if you will) is a little bit different in terms of how their body responds. So my suggestion would be to try a variety of methods for a few days or a week or two to see what works best for you.

From the sounds of your OP, it does sound like you are eating too little and need to bump it up a bit - especially since you are exercising regularly.

Good luck with figuring this all out - and hang in there! It's terrific that you are making the attempt to change your eating habits - and change your life. :smile:
  • marylutzavon
    Options
    Maybe you need to cut out wheat and sugar from your diet. I find that when I eat wheat or too much sugar, I don't lose weight no matter how few calories I eat.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

What answer did she want? She doesn't seem to want the "eat less" or the "eat more" or anything lose in between.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, it seems that the majority of people responding to my post feel that I am eating a lot more calories than what I am logging. I am logging everything and I don't think it would be healthy for me to eat less than what I am eating now. So, basically I have learned that I should eat more, I should eat less, I should work out more, I should work out less, I am paranoid, I may have an ED, I need to change what I am doing, I need to stick to what I am doing, etc. I am more confused now than I was when I originally posted this! Ha Ha!!! To those of you that are truly here to help....THANK YOU!! And to those of you that find joy in being rude and sarcastic and have no desire to be helpful, get a life!

You have received wonderful advice in this thread. problem is you cannot seem to narrow down who gave you advice that is actually decent.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I am consistently staying under 1200 calories and exercising daily....usually a Shaun T T25 workout and another 1/2 hour of pilates or strength training. But, I am not losing any weight. I am 5' 5" and 164 lbs. so I definitely have some weight to lose. I know what everyone is going to tell me. I NEED TO EAT MORE!!! How do I do this without gaining weight? I am eating between 1000-1200 calories per day and working out for a burn of 200-400 per day. I am not hungry and begin to get that disgusting, fat feeling when I eat any more. I am not feeling tired throughout the day and I feel that I am very energized for my workouts. I have read a lot of posts on this site and honestly do not know how all of these people are able to eat 1800-2000 calories per day. I love food! But am worried that if I start to eat more I will gain and I refuse to get any bigger than I already am. Any advice???

Just. Eat. More.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Well, a lot of what the sillysquirrel has been eating are pre-packaged items, like breakfast sandwiches, which I have to assume have fairly accurate calorie listings and don't require any estimating by the cup or scoop.

So keep with it for awhile-- log your items for a few weeks and see how it goes. :)

Actually, the FDA only requires that the company manufacturing the food make an estimation to within 10%. That can really add up.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I am consistently staying under 1200 calories and exercising daily....usually a Shaun T T25 workout and another 1/2 hour of pilates or strength training. But, I am not losing any weight. I am 5' 5" and 164 lbs. so I definitely have some weight to lose. I know what everyone is going to tell me. I NEED TO EAT MORE!!! How do I do this without gaining weight? I am eating between 1000-1200 calories per day and working out for a burn of 200-400 per day. I am not hungry and begin to get that disgusting, fat feeling when I eat any more. I am not feeling tired throughout the day and I feel that I am very energized for my workouts. I have read a lot of posts on this site and honestly do not know how all of these people are able to eat 1800-2000 calories per day. I love food! But am worried that if I start to eat more I will gain and I refuse to get any bigger than I already am. Any advice???

Just. Eat. More.

Because she is already at maintenance, that doesn't make any sense. How many posts have we seen here where folks come back and say 'Well I ate more, and gained weight. So now what"'. I have seen lots.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lost track at some point, but did OP ever answer the 'you have to weigh your food' part? That's usually where people quit... for some reason. Like it's the end of the world or something.
  • dshields2013
    Options
    That's great!
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Lost track at some point, but did OP ever answer the 'you have to weigh your food' part? That's usually where people quit... for some reason. Like it's the end of the world or something.

She said she doesn't have time for that and that a few calories off here and there won't matter in the end.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Well, a lot of what the sillysquirrel has been eating are pre-packaged items, like breakfast sandwiches, which I have to assume have fairly accurate calorie listings and don't require any estimating by the cup or scoop.

So keep with it for awhile-- log your items for a few weeks and see how it goes. :)

Actually, the FDA only requires that the company manufacturing the food make an estimation to within 10%. That can really add up.

And I have weighed pre packaged things from time to time. They rarely weigh what the they say they should, so I bet they are are often off by a little bits here and there...which could end up being a big bit at the end of the week.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I believe her conclusion on that point was that she refused to weigh all of her food, even for a limited time, despite her non-weighing approach resulting in no progress for a couple of years.

It was at that point that I mostly disengaged from this thread and moved on to others who are more willing to do what needs to be done to overcome their sticking points.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I expect you're eating more than you think you are. Are you logging every single thing you eat, including snacks, drinks, condiments, etc.?

^^ This! Unless you have been dieting for some time and have already lost a bit of weight, you would not be maintaining at this point if you were truly eating at a calorie deficit.
    Weigh and measure everything consistently. Log everything you eat, every day. No 'cheat days or cheat meals'.
    If you are truly accurate and consistent, the weight will come off.

And you are not in 'starvation mode'. SMH
  • AniaFi
    AniaFi Posts: 18
    Options
    You are probably eating too little. If you're really eating so little while excercising and you see no results on the scales, the problem might be your methabolism, especially when we are talking about a longer period of time. Your organism has got used to small portions of food and slowed the methabolism down, trying to save energy. That's why you can't lose a single lb now. I would suggest adding some 200 kcal to your daily intake - that should boost your methabolism.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Alternate your calories and eat back the exercise. Look at the science behind the 5:2 diets or ADF.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Just. Eat. More.

Because she is already at maintenance, that doesn't make any sense. How many posts have we seen here where folks come back and say 'Well I ate more, and gained weight. So now what"'. I have seen lots.

Still, a refeed week or two could be beneficial overall.
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    *looks in*
    OMG TROLL
    *Leaves*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

What answer did she want? She doesn't seem to want the "eat less" or the "eat more" or anything lose in between.

I'm not sure. Maybe "oh you poor thing you can't help it"? I have no idea.
This discussion has been closed.