Tatoos on females

Options

Replies

• tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Indeed. I hate looking around me and seeing what looks like the cast of a “Genghis Kahn” movie. I hate seeing people who are emotionally scarred and deeply disturbed being taken advantage of by yet another money making trend. But mostly, I hate seeing people thinking that their outward appearance can somehow make up for their lack of personality. I believe that most people who get tattooed today simply want acceptance and attention and, in their desperation, have had to resort to mutilating themselves. Tattoos are a cry for help. A Band-Aid on a deep seeded emotion and/or mental breakdown. I would suggest looking for a way to appreciate yourself as you are rather than trying to hide behind lame artwork and inane symbolism.

Wow. That is very closed minded. When I got my first one, my dad looked at my mom and asked her "Why did you let her get that?" I was 19 at the time. I get mine for a reason, not because I'm trying to fit in or I have a lack of personality. I definitely don't lack in personality. Mine tell my story. They remind meof where I came from and what I've been through. I want an infinite heart on my wrist, not as a symbol of infinite love but as a symbol of love doesn't hurt as the infinity symbol is also a symbol of women against domestic abuse and I've been a victim of that. I want a teal ribbon with butterfly wings as a symbol of the cancer that my aunt fought and won symbolizing she is stronger than the cancer and it gave her a second chance to spread her wings and fly. To some, they're a story of what you've been through and some a constant reminder of what you will not go back to.

Do they tell a story of.... YOUR JOURNEY?

I have one as of now and yes, that one has a meaning behind it for what I was doing at the time.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love tattoos. I have a few myself. I love that I'm a tattooed Grandma of six. When I'm older and considered a senior citizen ...I will still be bada$$.
  • PhoenixWithoutAshes1
    Options
    I love a tattoo on a female! But wow, what an uproar this topic sparked! I would love for my wife to get one, but that ain't gonna happen! :smile:
  • ejbraun
    ejbraun Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Love them! I have 10 myself and plan on many more. I'm not judging anyone for not having them, so why am I being judged for having them?? :noway:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty sizeable one on my shoulder. I would like to eventually get one on my shoulder or arm but that's the one place where my fiance says no :grumble: He likes them elsewhere, just not there.

Some of his family are super anti tattoo and won't know I have one til I walk down the aisle in my strapless gown lol. My family knows about it and I'll probably hear about how I should cover it up for my WEDDING. If anything I want more before we get hitched haha.

I got my wedding dress specifically to show off my tattoos. It was MY wedding after all. :)
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add to all those whose butts are getting hurt by this subject for some reason.

The simple fact is tattoos have nothing to do with anyone other than the person who has them. It has NOTHING to do with an audience. All of you who find them "disgusting" or "retarded" or the people who get them "emotionally scarred" should take a look at yourself because there's a lot more to someone than outward appearance. It's too bad you didn't learn this life lesson earlier. Your negative reactions simply show your true colors more than any tattoo ever would.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I turned 35 this year, and for my birthday I started my FIRST sleeve on my calf. I work in a conservative office and they except it.. I went through some hard times in my life, and that tattoo is very symbolic to me. It represents not giving up during trials. That through fire, strength is forged.

I have plans for my back and my arms and possibly my other calf. My husband excepts me for me and that is the only other person's opinion that matters to me besides my own!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are so trashy. I like to keep my temple pure.

This. Why try to cover up a masterpiece??

+1
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    Not a huge fan, but I think some look really cool.

This. Not my cup of tea, but my sisters and some of my close friends all have multiple tattoos which they all look awesome. I do have one picked out if I ever changed my mind, but my husband tells me every time, "a tattoo is grounds for "walking papers." ("Walking papers" meaning divorce). He thinks they are trashy.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I turned 35 this year, and for my birthday I started my FIRST sleeve on my calf. I work in a conservative office and they except it.. I went through some hard times in my life, and that tattoo is very symbolic to me. It represents not giving up during trials. That through fire, strength is forged.

I have plans for my back and my arms and possibly my other calf. My husband excepts me for me and that is the only other person's opinion that matters to me besides my own!

:heart:
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    depends greatly on the quality of the artist who tatooed them....
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should just calm down. I don't have a tattoo yet, getting one for my first milestone in my journey of weightloss, and will get more if I CHOOSE. My boyfriend is covered in tats (2 full sleeves on his arms, full back tat, across his chest, behind his ear and more) and he told me not to do too much? LOL! But he loves that I'm getting them and for the reasons I'm getting them. It has been said in here we are all "sculpting" our bodies to please ourselves, why not IF we so choose also add a little art to that sculpture? I love tats, on men and women! =]
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I say do what makes you happy!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine for others I have just never seen a tattoo I would want to wear forever and I don't think that I would want something on me for the rest of my life.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    tattoos have never STOPPED being popular worldwide. This has been a constant part of many cultures since the beginning of civilizations. I feel like you're refusing to get your head past the fact that the world is more than just the US.

How many young adults worldwide had tattoos in the 18th and 19th centuries, compared to what is now clearly the popularity of tattoos among this age demographic? That's a rhetorical question. The answer is: fad.

More than you think, if you look at Pacific Island nations, Southeast Asia, Maori tribes, and Aborigine peoples of Australia.

ETA: I won't deny that there are more tattooed people today than there were a century ago, but I don't think it has to do with popularity. I think it has to do with it being more widely accepted by society, and culture has a lot to do with it. I had always liked tattoos as a kid, but it wasn't until I was in the military and living in Hawaii, both places that embrace tattoos, that I had the guts to actually go ahead and get one.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add to all those whose butts are getting hurt by this subject for some reason.

The simple fact is tattoos have nothing to do with anyone other than the person who has them. It has NOTHING to do with an audience. All of you who find them "disgusting" or "retarded" or the people who get them "emotionally scarred" should take a look at yourself because there's a lot more to someone than outward appearance. It's too bad you didn't learn this life lesson earlier. Your negative reactions simply show your true colors more than any tattoo ever would.

^^this
  • Mosi11
    Options
    I don't mind them honestly... It's to each their own. I've seen BEAUTIFUL ink work done on people. I've also seen some pretty horrendous ink work done as well. As long as it's what the person wants, who gives a crap?

I, personally, don't have any yet. But I only have two in mind that I will be getting (Four if you count the three pieces of one) One will be on my left shoulder, that one will be a heart-shaped endless love knot with my kids names above and below it, and the other will be on my right shoulder and will just be a red letter "K". Only a specific group will know what it is for/about. But both will be easily covered up when they need to be. And those will be the only two I get.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    And thank you to all the tat pics in my inbox. Awesome artwork
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    No thanks. In my humble opinion, there is really nothing outside good diet and exercise that can improve the female form. It would be like hanging Motley Crue posters in the Taj Mahal, pointless and detracting from the real work of art.

Good design does not need adornment.

Would you put a bumper sticker on a royal royce? I don't think so. A Hyundai, perhaps but not a RR.

Personally I wouldn't put a bumper sticker on ANY car - being a possession I may someday resell.

My body on the other hand is seen by me, and those I let see it. Do I have Tattoos? Yes. Am I trashy? Perhaps. I'm also a highly educated, well read individual who is not only gainfully employed but a business professional. Do I look like someone who has tattoos? HA! nope. which is the best part of having them.

Do we have to square peg everyone into a stereo type? Much like religion, tattoos are a highly personal decision.

I've read this over and over again... "what is the true difference between a person with tattoos and a person without them?"

................a tattooed person doesnt care if you don't have tattoos.....

^^^ YES!!! ^^^

I have 7 tattoos and multiple piercings. I have a Bachelors degree, that I earned while working my @ss off at a full time job. I now work at a University in finance. I guess that makes me trashy :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I want all the tattoos!