Horrible experience in the gym tonight

Options
I'm interested to know what people think about this and what I should do.

I've belonged to my gym for 18 months, been seeing a personal trainer regualrly most of that time aas well as coming in on my own. I have always used the freeweights area as part of my programme which and am lifting fairly decent sized weights. I'm not on Stronglifts or anything like that but I am lifting. I've lost weight, got leaner, can see muscles emerging, feel stronger and gone down nearly 2 dress sizes. All good.

BUT over the time I've been there the gym has progressively got less and less friendly feeling, especially if you are a woman. OK if you want to faff around on some of the machines, run on the treadmills or prance about in Zumba but not when using the weights area. It was always used a lot by big muscly guys admiring themselves in the mirrors and there were never enough weights in the ranges commonly used by women. And they did tend to take up more space than they really needed. But usually they were OK. and made room for you.

But lately it feels like they have got a lot worse. Spreading out everywhere, dominating the area, turning the Tv channel to sports or MTV and putting the volume right up loud, sitting on the benches checking texts between sets, three guys taking over 2-3 machines or the chin up area and rotating amongst themselves so that no one else can get at it for ages. Basically acting as it they own it. The staff, virtually all male, also seem to encourage this, or at least don't discourage it. Not that they leave reception that often.

So tonight .....
I wanted to do some shoulder presses using a weighted bar (I am getting up to 17.5kg, not that heavy matbe but heavy for me). But there is no benches free, and 3 of the weights bars I might use are not on the rack but over with a group of guys, who are not actually using them but placed in a difficult to get to way that makes it clear they have commandeered them. So that is deadlifts out if the question as well. The TV is at max volume on some horrible rap music type channel. There are huge dumb bells and weights bars with massive plates all over the floor. There is lots of joking about and laughter going on but no a lot of actual lifting. I lurk, uncomfortable and unsure. One guy can see I want the bench he is sitting on (not doing anything) but tries to not catch my eye. Another guy makes a big deal of going around me to get some weights, as if I am in his way (I'm not). I I feel unwelcome. There are definitely no other women anywhere near this area.

So I give up and go back to the floor area, thinking I wll do some weighted lunges or glute bridges or dorsal raises, something.... It's crowded as usual. And one guy has collected up virtually all the available equipment - bosu ball, swiss ball, 2 step benches, a range of dumbells, you name it, and is hoarding them in the corner whilst doing his workout in front of them. The message is clear. What he doesn't have in his pile, the personal trainers are using with clients. 2 other guys are boxing (not together) over by the mirrors, taking up loads of floor space. Going over there is out of the question. There is only one girl in the area and she is also looking a bit lost and uncertain. She gives up and I see her head for a treadmill.

So I leave. Fed up and p*d off at the selfish, inconsiderate behaviour and the air of testosterone everywhere I come home and rant here. So am I being over sensitive? I am a professional female over 40 for pete's sake. Why do I feel so unable to stick up for myself? Should I complain to the manager about it? Why do guys do this? Or should i just find another gym...

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to ask them if you could get a bar?

Did you ask anyone that worked there about the situation?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Life is too short. Find another gym.
  • ms_leanne
    Options
    You should report it to the staff. It is totally inconsiderate and I'm sure not part of gym etiquette. If you do say something you should say it isn't just affecting you but other people.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    do standing press instead of sitting press
    better for you
    and then you dont use a bench for something you should be doing standing
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Unless they really do own the place, then you have just as much right as them to use the kit. I'd complain and if nothing improves then I'd cancel my membership. You should also speak to the girl who couldn't train either.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym that's not like this. I hear there are fabled places that are different, but I assume they are on Mars.

I train in my basement because I have zero time for dude bros.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    the best approach is to be friendly and just ask to use the equipment. obviously there is tension in the air but it might be unnecessary and they may be friendly after all.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options

^This
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    never enough weights in the ranges commonly used by women.

Just firstly: lift the same as the men :p

Secondly: Did you ask the guys whether you could use the equipment? Were they rude in their response?

If they were rude and/or intimidating then you should definitely speak with one of the staff members: if they just said no it might just be worth looking at how you're EXPECTING to be treated. Sometimes we put filters on situations that look worse than they are - I know sometimes I expect blokes to be looking at me oddly because I'm female lifting, but actually, often at a second glance they're just resting between sets preoccupied in what they're doing.

If you're really uncomfortable though maybe find another gym :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    You just described my gym in the afternoons. You have to go over there (to the guy that's hoarding) and ask him if he's using the dumbbells that very moment and you'd like to switch off in between sets. I highly doubt he would say no. If he did, just take them. Kidding. Sort of. :tongue: You have to step out of your comfort zone and let them realize that you know what you're doing and you have a right to the equipment also. Speaking from experience. They can smell fear. :wink:
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options

MityMax96 is right. Get over there and ask for the equipment. Sometimes it's not you. I'm doing stronglifts right now and I sit and text between sets. I also get over there and ask people for their equipment when they clearly aren't using it and haven't racked their weights.

Don't let them make you feel like you don't belong. You're there to do your thing and you're a paying member too. The more confident you act the less c**p they'll give you. :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You won't know for sure if what you feel is their intention actually is unless you go over and ask for the equipment you need. Next time you go walk over and ask when a bench will be free or a bar or whatever it is you want to do. If there are continuing issues talk to management. If that doesn't work look for another gym. There's no reason to spend your money somewhere that doesn't value you.
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You want me to come down there and handle that S%@$...??? Boys will be boys....they are just trying to be cool in front of each other...They all want you to think they are the Alpha...Just walk right in the midst of them and own that equipment...that will do wonders to their precious little egos...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    It sounds intimidating, but in most of my experience, if you just ask to use equipment, most members oblige.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Talk to them...believe it not, they are human :laugh:
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    the best approach is to be friendly and just ask to use the equipment. obviously there is tension in the air but it might be unnecessary and they may be friendly after all.

Try this first. Even if they are being ****ty on purpose, you might be able to shame them into proper behavior... YOu know, kill 'em with kindness. And if that doesn't work, call 'em out.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    um. you just interpreted a full gym of people working out as a gender issue, in which you are the unwanted one.

go to therapy.

And consider hitting the gym at a less busy hour.

jesus.
  • admibo
    Options
    When I started working out I would do the same thing you did with the guys.

If you want it. Go and get it. There aren't always nice people at the gym.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

MityMax96 is right. Get over there and ask for the equipment. Sometimes it's not you. I'm doing stronglifts right now and I sit and text between sets. I also get over there and ask people for their equipment when they clearly aren't using it and haven't racked their weights.
    ^this. I get on my phone in between sets and check my ORM or log my progress or sometimes post on MFP. I have to rest in between sets. If someone asks to work in, I work in. I can't believe OP complained that 3 guys worked in together. And if I'm using the bench for a long time because i'm doing a lot of sets, Tough luck. Right? That's what I'm here for. Just like everyone else.
    Don't let them make you feel like you don't belong. You're there to do your thing and you're a paying member too. The more confident you act the less c**p they'll give you. :)

I don't think they are doing anything to her. She's the one interpreting their being in the space and using equipment personally. It's her making her feel that way. It's not hard to just ask for stuff. People do it all the time.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    also, I'm female and I enjoy watching games at the gym and listening to rap.