stop overdoing cardio and hit the damn weights!!!

Options

Replies

• WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I want to feel strong and look good naked, not feel weak and look good in clothes, buts thats just my goal :)

I spend more time dressed than undressed. But maybe that's just me...

I plan to spend a lot more time in a lot less clothes in my future!! Right now, I look great in clothes but when they come off, there is still way too many wobbly bits. That's what this poster is referring to.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I want to feel strong and look good naked, not feel weak and look good in clothes, buts thats just my goal :)

I spend more time dressed than undressed. But maybe that's just me...

I plan to spend a lot more time in a lot less clothes in my future!! Right now, I look great in clothes but when they come off, there is still way too many wobbly bits. That's what this poster is referring to.
    wow, awesome progress!!! Keep up the great work, you look fab!
  • wiepster
    Options
    I have a dislocated disc (S2) and if I do NOT lift, I can hardly walk. I cannot do cardio, unless it is biking, swimming or walking to keep the disc in place, only with good shoes, no jumps. With weightlifting I keep my muscles strong so my disc stays in place. I do squats everyday as warm-up, I do all my core exercises on the smith-machine to make sure to stay in balance.
    Please try to find a good personal trainer who knows about spinal problems so you can perform the correct daily exercises to prevent back-pain or even in juries.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I injured my shoulder lifting weights 3 months ago and now doing pilates and cardio. My back and shoulder feeling much better and my muscles getting toned as well. People should do what works for them. One size does not fit all.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Umm, no. I will not hit the weights. And not because I think it'll make me bulky.
    1. I don't want to.
    2. I reeeaallly enjoy walking and jogging.
    3. I have no intentions of paying for a full gym membership to have access to weights.
    4. I'm still working on losing fat, toning is for when I'm closer to my goal. I can barely do many squats or lunges right now.

I don't get why so many people think everyone should lift. People are going to do what they enjoy.

You don't have to "lift" per say, just do SOME sort of strength training in addition to your cardio, why wait to "tone" (as you call it), when you can do so as you are losing? Plus, it will help minimize the loss of LBM that eating at a deficit causes, making maintenance easier (since you haven't lowered your metabolism drastically) ... :)
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Also, I think the title of this thread should be "stop overdoing cardio and do some strength training!!!" not "stop overdoing cardio and hit the damn weights!!!" ... strength training and muscle building can be done in a myriad of different ways, not just traditional weights ... :) ... Pilates Reformer FTW! ... Though, I do like to lift heavy things(It makes my tiny @ss feel RAWR!), so I do switch it up with weights ...
  • gypsycaravan
    Options
    the most lifting i do is with 5 pound weights, but combining some strength/lifting with those and cardio has given me much better results than just doing cardio alone. i probably wouldn't want to go any heavier than 7 or 8 pounds though.
  • leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Cross training is very important to cardio. I'm not talking about just lifting, but strengthening your core. I do three days of circuit training which is weights and cardio at the same or alternating and three days of running. I couldn't be the runner I am without the muscle I have built by weights. The heaviest weight I use is 8lbs. so we are not talking a lot of weight. I've had LOTS of people compliment me that I look good not just because of the weight loss (52lbs to date), but because they can see my muscles/see that I am toned. If our goal is healthy then we need to be well rounded or be working towards it. Not just focus on one thing at a time. I feel like that is going through college taking just all electives one year and the next all math courses, etc. you have to have some of all aspects to work towards your goal.
  • Manda_1986
    Manda_1986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like weight training. It isn't that I don't enjoy it, I have done it in the past and it resulted in me gaining a substantial amount of muscle. For a woman I have a naturally muscular body. I didn't look huge and bulky by any means but I did look masculine from weight training. Instead of weight training now I use my own body weight to tone and strengthen. I get a much nicer lean toned body that way without the extra muscle mass.
    Some ladies look great from using weights, some do not. On the other end of the spectrum it annoys me seeing men that just do weights and no cardio. They end up gigantic muscle freaks with no flexibility. A good balance of strength and cardio is the key to a healthy body.

1) It seems like you do not have a basic understanding of how one gains muscle mass. It is not from lifting weights alone.

2) Ditto what Sara said- Freaks? Wut? :huh: Body-shaming is not okay, even when you're referring to people who are extremely built.

1) I do understand that it also is due to what you consume. I said that I have natural muscle mass and doing weights makes that more obvious. ie I look really muscular and I would rather not.

2) Lol I didn't say everyone who has muscle are freaks. I was simply trying to say there is that some people who purely do weights and no cardio or flexibility training which can also not be good for you. I wasn't aiming at offending anyone or body-shaming.

I am only saying how my body works. This whole topic is about people over doing cardio. You can over do weights too. Like I said above though, I like strength training. I just don't personally think you need to involve weights. I have nothing against people that do.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Some ladies look great from using weights, some do not. On the other end of the spectrum it annoys me seeing men that just do weights and no cardio. They end up gigantic muscle freaks with no flexibility. A good balance of strength and cardio is the key to a healthy body.

Heehee.

46733587_4247.jpg
    46733587_702.jpg

I keep trying but putting on muscle is hard.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    the most lifting i do is with 5 pound weights, but combining some strength/lifting with those and cardio has given me much better results than just doing cardio alone. i probably wouldn't want to go any heavier than 7 or 8 pounds though.
    Really? A gallon of milk weighs 8 pounds. Guarantee your backpack, briefcase, or purse (whichever you carry on a regular basis) weighs at least 7 or 8 pounds. Heck, my daughter is in kindergarten, her backpack weighs 6 pounds when it's loaded up in the morning. What exactly do you think a 5 pound weight is going to do for you in the long term, when your daily life has you constantly lifting and moving heavier objects on a consistent basis? A ream of paper alone weighs 5 pounds.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I WILL RUN AND/OR LONGBOARD AT LEAST 1 MI/DAY AND YOU WON'T STOP ME.

ok i lied: what i really mean is i will run and/or longboard MOST days, not everyday. i need more rest in my routine. after a whole summer of permasore feet and legs i know this much.

and i WILL start lifting. after a whole summer of running and longboarding as much as mankly possible, i'm not getting any bigger muscles. and i want bigger muscles. espesh in my arms (which don't get much work from running/longboarding).

and i'm not afraid of getting big. i'm 5'5" and 120 lbs on a good day--and i'm female--how big could i possibly get? guess i'll find out...

so....i agree with OP?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    why on earth not?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and it doesn't make me bulky. I'm very pleased with the results and plan to continue lifting forever.

Also lifting weights does not decrease flexibility, it actually helps increase it because strong muscles are flexible.

I also dance and do yoga. And sometimes kickbox.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I lift weights and it doesn't make me bulky. I'm very pleased with the results and plan to continue lifting forever.

Also lifting weights does not decrease flexibility, it actually helps increase it because strong muscles are flexible.

*Lifting weights with a proper full range of motion increases flexibility. Also, balanced work. Just training one side (biceps without triceps as a common example) or using partial reps to stroke the old ego will cause muscle imbalances and flexibility issues.
  • esealjme
    Options
    As far as the bulky comments, I think it just depends. Some women, especially those with higher testosterone, put on bulky muscles more than others. Also, some types of cardio can also cause bulk, just usually more in the legs. I used to have what was known as dancer calves from Irish dancing, which meant I had bulk calf muscles.
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights, almost more than I love doing cardio. I've only just started going to the gym and doing it regularly. But I love it. It's really relaxing and fun. I'm also really excited for when I start to see results. I'm sick of flabby arms!
  • tigersword
    Options
    As far as the bulky comments, I think it just depends. Some women, especially those with higher testosterone, put on bulky muscles more than others. Also, some types of cardio can also cause bulk, just usually more in the legs. I used to have what was known as dancer calves from Irish dancing, which meant I had bulk calf muscles.
    Dancer's calves mean you have no fat on your calves, so the muscle definition shows through, it doesn't mean your calves are large. Unless a woman is taking testosterone supplements, she will not put on significant muscle without serious strength training and a calorie surplus. Men have 10 times the testosterone of women, and it's difficult for us to put on muscle mass.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

*Lifting weights with a proper full range of motion increases flexibility. Also, balanced work. Just training one side (biceps without triceps as a common example) or using partial reps to stroke the old ego will cause muscle imbalances and flexibility issues.

Yeah, good point. Thanks for sharing it.
  • esealjme
    Options
    My apologies, I did not necessarily mean that I had more muscle on my calves, but it does make them appear more bulky, which is what I believed the issue to be. As far as testosterone, it is merely what I was told by doctors. I do not know if it is different for women than men, but that was just the info I was given. Regardless, the important thing is too be healthy and feel good in your own body. Everyone has different ideas on what they wish to look like and people do show muscle differently, regardless of the cause.