Replies

• mcblevins
    mcblevins Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This, this is so right.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Why the hell is this topic even still going yet allowed to roll?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I love that this rolled. In for round 2 of OMG You MUST try 1200/cals! vs. Um... no.
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't even get why people are so mad. Who gives a F?

You learned that exercise allows you to eat more calories? Super for you. Some people aren't like you.
    I totally agree.
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Pinkraynedropjacki, congratulations on reaching your goal! It's still going because YOU and I are still reading the posts!! :laugh:
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think this debate is usually between the newer members and the ones who have been ongoing for some time. Most people will start at the magic 1,200. Most people will lose a good amount of weight on 1,200. Those who experience this will sing its praises and say they will live on this forever because they're 'not hungry' and 'couldn't imagine eating more', but you WILL eventually get to the point where it will no longer work for you, and you'll then have to deal with the inner-debate of eating more, which, eventually, you will. It's an experience thing. I don't know why you keep arguing the point.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The REAL question should be why is MyfitnessPal suggesting that almost everyone eat 1200 calories (despite their starting weight). This can be very confusing to someone just starting out. This is how it usually goes:

1. You hear great things about MyfitnessPal so you sign up
    2. MFP suggests 1200 calories
    3. You experience weight loss at 1200 calories
    4. You start to read community postings and fitness blogs and realize that you don't have to live at 1200 calories.
    5. You change your calories and through trial and error find out what works for YOU.

Why be so snarky and condescending about someone not knowing better?
    God bless all of you who started MFP knowing everything about fitness. I see why a lot of people don't bother asking questions

MFP doesn't suggest that nearly everyone start at 1200 calories. Most of the people that are put at 1200 calories do so because they either have 10lb to lose but want to get it all off ASAP, so they set their weight loss to 2lb per week, and/or they wrongly think they are sedentary, and/or they log their exercise calories but completely ignore MFPs suggestion to eat them back.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options

MFP doesn't suggest that nearly everyone start at 1200 calories. Most of the people that are put at 1200 calories do so because they either have 10lb to lose but want to get it all off ASAP, so they set their weight loss to 2lb per week, and/or they wrongly think they are sedentary, and/or they log their exercise calories but completely ignore MFPs suggestion to eat them back.

Too true! I also joined up and wanted to lose as much weight as freaken possible, so set the weight loss goal to MAX and ended up with 1200 cals. That didnt last long! :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

You learned that exercise allows you to eat more calories? Super for you. Some people aren't like you.

exercise allows everyone (yes everyone, even you) to eat more food because physics, chemistry and biology

if you want to eat only 1200 cals/day then yeah, who gives a F.... but really.... what's the point? I don't understand the appeal of trying to survive on so little and then boasting about it online and treating everyone who suggests that you can get better long term results by eating more as though they're attacking your religion....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I love that this rolled. In for round 2 of OMG You MUST try 1200/cals! vs. Um... no.

I missed the first part..... and have no desire to catch up.

I'm just in to find out what's so amazing about 1200 cals/day that people defend it so voiciferously....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I'm just in to find out what's so amazing about 1200 cals/day that people defend it so voiciferously....

This ....so this....

Not sure why people feel the need to deprive themselves of food they want/love just to ensure they consume 1200 a day. No need to. That leads to failure because you can only do that for so long then you break, feel bad, try to get back to 1200 break again...feel bad and before you know it you have gained the weight back and you feel bad...

When in reality you can eat more and still lose weight without a tonne of exercise.

But whatever...if the people who are staunch supporters of 1200 a day want to do that to themselves then have at....has no effect on the rest of us who are doing it differently we just wish that you could see you don't have to deprive yourself....

PS to those who say "I've kept the weight off for x years" eating 1200 for most of the time and splurging a couple days...good for you but I bet if you were to actually weigh your food on a kitchen scale you are eating more then you think...and that is the kicker.

You are here defending your choice when probably in reality you are eating closer to 1600 a day on normal days and closer to 1800-2300 on splurge days...but that being said you wont admit it now or even doube check...
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different and works in a different way. If I didn't start with 1200 kcals a day I probably wouldn't have lost much during the first months. If I didn't eat 1200 kcals now, I wouldn't probably be losing at all (since I don't exercise much, since I plateau often, no matter what I do, since I need to lose weight at an acceptable regime, because I've been doing this for 1,5 years and I still haven't lost everything). Yes you can eat more than 1200 kcals, especially if you're working out, and I've been eating more than 1200 kcals myself either, but there is no chance to lose weight without actually eating at a deficit. For example my BMR is around 1500 kcals and my TDEE is around 1800 kcals. So yes I could eat more than 1200 kcals, but how much? 300-600 more kcals? That's still not enough to "eat things that you love AND lose weight". If I ate things that I love I would end up gaining all my weight back. Considering that I can go weeks without losing anything I know that I have to work hard to lose weight. Try to think that people who eat 1200 kcals don't actually want to deprive themselves but that might actually be the only way that works for them.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

This ....so this....

Not sure why people feel the need to deprive themselves of food they want/love just to ensure they consume 1200 a day. No need to. That leads to failure because you can only do that for so long then you break, feel bad, try to get back to 1200 break again...feel bad and before you know it you have gained the weight back and you feel bad...

When in reality you can eat more and still lose weight without a tonne of exercise.

But whatever...if the people who are staunch supporters of 1200 a day want to do that to themselves then have at....has no effect on the rest of us who are doing it differently we just wish that you could see you don't have to deprive yourself....

PS to those who say "I've kept the weight off for x years" eating 1200 for most of the time and splurging a couple days...good for you but I bet if you were to actually weigh your food on a kitchen scale you are eating more then you think...and that is the kicker.

You are here defending your choice when probably in reality you are eating closer to 1600 a day on normal days and closer to 1800-2300 on splurge days...but that being said you wont admit it now or even doube check...

My diary is open, feel free to view my 1200 cal a day foods.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options

I totally agree.

Do what works for you. Some people just cannot let it go that others don't eat and exercise like them.

1200 a day is not easy and takes getting used to. You'll learn what foods work for you and you'll learn what you need to do for maintenance after you lose. <3

Feel free to friend me. My diary is open. :]
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

This ....so this....

It's really not open.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options

This ....so this....

It's really not open.

Fixed it to be public. Not sure why it changed.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

This ....so this....

It's really not open.

Fixed it to be public. Not sure why it changed.

:P it happens
  • Erindolly
    Erindolly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also think it matters how big you are--if you are a small(ish) person to begin with, it may be necessary to go lower in calories. A woman who is 5ft tall eating 1,200 cal/day is not equal to a 6ft tall man eating 1,200 calories a day. Age also factors in here--an older person who is 5ft tall and doesn't exercise often may have to go down this low in order to lose weight at all.

This wouldn't work for me because I am on the taller side and very active, but I can see where it may be effective for some people.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options
    I also think it matters how big you are--if you are a small(ish) person to begin with, it may be necessary to go lower in calories. A woman who is 5ft tall eating 1,200 cal/day is not equal to a 6ft tall man eating 1,200 calories a day. Age also factors in here--an older person who is 5ft tall and doesn't exercise often may have to go down this low in order to lose weight at all.

This wouldn't work for me because I am on the taller side and very active, but I can see where it may be effective for some people.

Definitely agree. I'm 5'2 on a good day and work on the computer all day with 2 days a week work at home. Then at night run a guild on a video game for another 5 hours. So I'm pretty much always sitting :p Most sites do recommend me 1200 when I put in certain factors. :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!