WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,I have been battling a severe headache for the last 4 days, :sick: not sleeping well and way past the point of exhaustion. Work is very busy, and I still have so much sewing to finish before Christmas. Going away for 5 days at Thanksgiving is not helping matters. So have not been making all the right choices in my meals :sad: I know this will get better, just need to learn to manage my stress better. The Holidays are a hard time, my Mom passed away suddenly right before Christmas, and even tho it's been 8 years I miss her terribly, she loved the Holidays and made them so special, I will always cherish those memories, but it's just not the same without her. :brokenheart: :cry:

Hope this finds everyone well, Congratulations to all who lost. Prayers for all who need healing.

Hope everyone has a Blessed & Wonderful Day :flowerforyou:
  • howe60
    howe60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Morning girls.
    Barbie : thankful to you for starting this thread, I may not have found you all x

Dee dee : thanks for your welcome and support, your caring must have taken ages to do. Give Josie a squeeze x

Melody : Huge congrats on the birth of your 1st grandchild, isn't it amazing. Put work second and have fun fun fun.

Katia : thanks for the welcome and support. I have broken my huge task into small chunks but would like to do my two stone by Christmas. What is an xhose ?

Joyce : thanks for your welcome. A stone is 14 pounds. Intrigued, what was your wierd breakfast?

Rita : how lovely, new home, new job and close to family. Blessed

Annecarolone : thanks for the warm welcome. Yes I am from uk. Kent about 40 miles south of London. Have a great day

Heather : hope you had a good nights sleep after your busy day in London. I am in kent.

Sandy and Joyce : what is y please. I find it hard to decode all these initials he he.

Bj : thanks for the lovely welcome. Enjoyed your post hope you're not awol for months again.

Michele : another mega busy lady. Thanks for the welcome. We do a very commercial Christmas but don't do thanksgiving. I think we should it seems to have more meaning.

Barbie : thanks for your welcome. 5 years !!!! Wow !!!! Glad I jumped on!!!

Jill : great news for your airplane excitement, well I would have been anyways xx

Susan : thanks for the welcome...... Make a list, I looooove lists, hardly anything gets done on them but I love them with a passion.

Viv : thanks for the welcome. Am in kent. I am about to google fitbit

Have a great day ladies, lovely to chat
    Xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Josie
    Kent uk
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Tazgirl
    I agree u need to stress down:flowerforyou: ...... try deep breathing and break down your to do list. Seems u have too much on your plate.:heart:
    Remembering your Mom must be hard. But if she loved the holidays, she must be wanting to see u relaxed right? Hope u r not trying to do everything yourself.......
    Delegate little jobs to everyone. You r smart, think of a way to get around whats not imperative...... your health is for u , your family and to us your friends :bigsmile:
    Please keep at least half an hour each day for a walk or something u like, a walk outside always makes me feel better afterwards:drinker:
    Best wishes everyone
    anamika from Mumbai
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good frosty morning!

We had snow/sleet Tuesday night; oh, it didn't stick (the ground is too warm) but still a bit of a wake-up call to what is coming. Of course I had a meeting in the middle of nowhere that night...............drove VERY carefully!!!

Tazgirl........before I forget again, I must tell you how much I like your Norman Rockwell icon (are those things where the pics are even called icons?; not even sure,lol). Sorry you are feeling so bad and I totally agree with Anamika's (a wise woman!) advice. My favorite aunt died at 42 after a horrific battle with cancer when I as 15, the week prior to Christmas. These events will always be with us........time will not erase but it does ease a bit as we all learn. Hugs to you.

Vicki............Hats off to you for doing the New Years Day baby basket in your hospital!!! These begging phone calls are something new for me and, believe me, it's not easy but I am determined my friends equine charity for disabled kids will get a few good raffle prizes and goodies for the participating runners. Funny, all the ice cream shops gave coupons and gift cards almost immediately
    suppose it has something to do with the cold weather and getting people in their stores in the winter!
    I think we have enough to give each child an ice cream coupon.

Heather.........Happy anniversary!!!!

In the interest of truth.........my daughter is not having problems with microbiology; it's biochemistry, which I learned I was mixing up yesterday.

I know I missed tons of people I wanted to comment to........so a blanket "Best to All" for now as I'm headed out to the barn for more race flyers and lit. on the charity and then on to actual visits to a few places to try to shake some charity out of people.

Welcome newbies!

If anyone would like to see the website for the race, it's vbrunway5k.org My friends son set it up and we think it's pretty great!

Off to the races!!!!
    yanniejannie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    here i sit with my SIL waiting to go in for her colonoscopy...fun is...im just glad it isnt me!!!:noway:
    been there done that..
    taking her to olive garden afterwards for her birthday... i will have minestrone soup and a salad....
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Josie in UK, thanks for explaining what a pound is. The Y stands for YMCA, I think it originally many years ago called it young mens christian association or athletics. It is now for everyone and most just call it the Y. It is a gym but much much more. They all have pools, all sorts of sports programs, classes for old, young and everyone in between. A lot of our insurances for our age group include a free membership. My weird breakfast is because I am having a colonoscopy today and I couldn't have nay fruits and veggies at all yesterday and all the foods I could eat included a lot of processed foods which are things I have cut out.

Viv in UK. You can always keep a written diary and then enter it into the diary at another time.

Joyce, Indiana
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I’m stopping by early today. I had the worst day ever at work yesterday and hubby and I ended up going out to our favorite bar and grill and indulging in “bad bar food”. Only 2 drinks though so I was good. Work is so stressful right now (and shouldn’t be….it’s a great job) that even the boss, who is the sweetest most patient person on earth about had a meltdown yesterday and got really crabby. Poor thing she sent me an email last night saying how sorry she was that she was crabby! I could only reply that she was a dear to work with and I appreciate her so much. So I guess I will say that is what I am grateful for: a wonderful boss and super coworkers! I’m also glad and grateful I took today off for a mani-pedi!

Heather: safe travels! Happy anniversary!

Josie: welcome aboard! We are like a little coffee club, but always welcome “barger-iners”! Good goals! I will have to google “stones” because I don’t know how much those are. I know it’s a measurement of weight.

Grandmallie: I’m with you on those pesky plateaus!

DeeDee: have a productive day or at least fool everyone!

Melody: welcome back. Your goals are great!

Katla: ah! Sorry I misread. I loved your analogy of the motor to the heart! Perfect for a nurse like me!

Jane: sending all kinds of good wishes your way!

Joyce:congrats on the weight loss! Guess those weird meals help!

Rita: that is so wonderful to be close to family. My dad was in the navy and I wouldn’t recognize most of my first cousins IF I saw
    them. All my aunts and uncles and many cousins are gone now. I so hope my girls stay close

Pat: missing you! I lose all these days too

BJ: Nutsy November is right! Students get all owly!

Michele: I need a nap after reading all your activities!

Gail: hope you get your schedule worked out; that always plays havoc with me and my sleep

Barbie: glad you are continuing to mend!

Jill: what a wonderful nsv!!!!!! I am so proud of you

Susan: I have some simple back exercises I do when my sciatica acts up from a chronically bulging disc. Don’t’ know if dad could do it or not. Lay down flat on the floor (yes the floor) for five minutes. No pillow, just flat. Then push up to your elbows and stay there for five minutes. Then lift up with arms straight for 5 minutes. When I do that, the pain is totally gone.

Viv: nice to see you again. I was the one who asked about the fireworks. Thanks for the interesting bit of history!

Grandmallie: hope your SIL;s colonoscopy goes well. I am 54 and need one. Hubby and I will get them next year…we are out of flexible spending account money already!

Taz: the holidays are such a crazy time aren’t they? We put so much stress on ourselves. Sympathies to you on the loss of your
    mother at such a time of year….it comes back to you each year. My mom died Jan 2, so I always thank her for not dying on my favorite holiday!

Yanniejannie: sounds like you are enjoying your time!

Well time to get up off my a** and get ready for my day. It is beautiful here today, sunny and mild for November! Have a good day my friends and thank you all for being here! Take care, Meg who is playing hookey from work in Omaha
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Susan: What is schnecken? I haven’t heard of it before. I don’t know anything about Parkinsons, but DH has MS & has been taking acupuncture treatments that are very helpful in easing muscle cramps and helping him feel better. It might be worth investigating. I wish your dad the best.:flowerforyou:

Viv UK: Thanks for the information on Guy Foukes Day. I hope your computer problems are resolved.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: “Up and staggering” is a particularly visual description. :bigsmile: I hope you’re actually feeling better than that. Have a good day with your SIL and having lunch.:flowerforyou:

Tazgirl: I hope your headache eases away and doesn’t return. Regarding Christmas, I agree with Anamika and Yanniejannie. I know you are grieving your loss, but I hope that you’ll eventually be able to let go of the sadness and enjoy the warm memories of your mom’s holiday joy.:flowerforyou:

Howe60: An xhose is a Chinese product that is light weight for its length and has a slick fabric cover so it is touch friendly. It is not sturdy and shouldn’t be left out in sunlight. A neighbor bought one she really liked, and then bought a cheap knock off that fell apart almost immediately. When she decided to replace her original hose I went in with her and we bought two on a special deal & split the shipping. I have not given up my conventional hose, but added this because it is so easy to drag around due to its light weight and slick covering. :flowerforyou:

DH found the Mexican Pottery business address before we left on our errands yesterday and we stopped in there on the way home from his acupuncture treatment. I found just the thing for my xhose, a red clay frog. He is sitting beside the faucet this very minute with the hose tucked safely inside. We had good luck on cost, too. The frog was on sale for half price. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: DH fell in love with the chiminea they had for sale there. I wish we had a place for one, but we don’t.

The fishing boat is temporarily in our driveway. The mechanic did get the engine started, much to his own surprise. Now we have to launch the boat and run several gallons of fuel treated with seafoam engine cleaner through the motor. We might be able to save the old engine after all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for luck. :bigsmile: We have a storm warning right now, though. I hope to put the boat back into the storage unit until after the storm passes and then run the engine cleaner through on a dry day.:smokin:

I think I’ve missed some posts this morning, so I’ll just send you my good wishes for a happy and productive day.:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon where the storm hasn’t hit yet.

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    just took her in a hour and a half late:grumble: , oh well, she was busting on the dr, so no worries..
    told the DH were his food is to cook, he will have to do it because there is no way I will be back by the time he gets home.. , the puppies food is all set so they are taken care of..

haven't been to Olive Garden in awhile so it will be nice to have some girl time...
    hubby will be leaving a week from today for Florida, so I will be on my own for a week...or so which is nice, I wont have to cook or make lunches except for myself and the puppies, will have to cook thanksgiving without the DH ,but have done that for many years when he used to go hunting then...
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great thurs.
    HUGS
    jane
  • harleylady2012
    Options
    Hi Barbie

October -
    lose 10 lbs - lost 6 - gained 3 back (yoyo dieter most of my life)

November -
    walk and pilates each morning for cardio and core
    eat more nutritious meals

December-
    would like to see an overall loss through the holidays instead of a gain
    less instant gratification and more focus on others needs

Phyllis
    Tallahassee FL
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Had a nice lunch with my new yoga friend today. I caught the train and walked down to the restaurant. They had given us a window table as I asked. Lovely chat. Came back in good time and managed to cook our guests' food for the freezer. Chicken in white wine with tarragon and olives. Just cooling it off now. Peeled a mound of brussel sprouts for supper tonight. It's going to be windy tonight! ! !

Yesterday we really enjoyed the Art in Australia exhibition. We have family over there and have visited, so that made it special. Our dim sum restaurant was closed for refurb (that seems to be a theme lately) so we went to one that specializes in crispy duck. (Its the sort with the pancakes you roll up) It was fabulous! I had four and counted 600 calories for it. I had done my gymming and with the extra walking about I was OK for the day.
    After the gallery we had enough time to dash to Soho to my favourite Italian deli and buy our absolute favourite fennel and garlic sausages. The best sausages in the world!:laugh: We bought 8, in two separate bags, so we can portion them in the freezer. Then off to the train home.
    Really we had had an easy day and enjoyed ourselves, but it was really tiring. The train was a bit delayed going up.
    When we got home DH said we ought to go out, just for ourselves, more often! ! !:bigsmile: Wow! We are always going up to London, but it's usually to babysit the DGC. We have other local places we are keen to visit for a day out.

When we got back from the trip there were 7 Amazon parcels waiting for us. Today 3 more parcels arrived! There's only DS#1 to do now and DH. DH and I always give each other a stocking with small things in, but I haven't got a main present. All my wreath making equipment arrived so I will have to go to the W I group in December ! ! ! It will be good to meet some local people there.( WI stands for Women's Institute, a nationwide organisation)

As you may have gathered, I love my trains. I would always rather travel by train. On the line to London, now that the trees are losing their leaves, you can see huge balls of mistletoe high up. The fields are beautiful and I love arriving in the city, seeing the London Eye out of the window and all the new skyscrapers. I love the bustle of the station concourse and being able to buy sushi!:laugh:

Ah well. We are having difficulty organising this visit with DS#2. We will all have to put our thinking caps on. As I said a few posts back, he has left it a bit late and people are all booked up at the weekends . :grumble:

Love to all. Getting chilly in Hampshire UK
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just saw this thread...don't have time to read all 17 pages...but since I am 50+, I think I fit right in!

BTW - what's a DH? A Dear Husband? :heart:

I guess you are looking for goals for November. I have been stuck in a plateau since October, but I fear it may be of my own making. Its cold outside - and that is making me hungry - and school is making it difficult to stick to a regular exercise plan. I can't wait until the semester is over! I need to set goals...

Goals for November:
    1. Break this plateau and get into the 170's!
    2. Start every morning with the Runkeeper apps (SixPack and Squats) that I downloaded this week.
    3. Log EVERYTHING EVERYDAY!

Its nice meeting y'all!
    Marsha - from cold but warming up NC
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi, there,
    I might have been on this group before earlier in the year, but didn't manage to keep up with you all... but just noticed CityJane? is from Hampshire, UK, too. I am down on the South Coast.. wonderful scenery, great for going out for walks or even slow jogs. But there is always so much to do... I am a local councillor, so lots of meetings, paperwork, and am also very much involved with my local church and Rotary Club, not to mention my lovely family... though our nearest son (no.3) is in London, and our second son with 4 children is in Leicestershire.. a 3 1/2 hr drive away, and our daughter is in Nottingham, about the same distance.

I have been on MFP for nearly 2 years after falling and breaking my leg on holiday, and realising how really obese I was. I lost 45 lbs in the first year, but not very much since... yo-yoing first in the 180s, and now in the 170s. I aim to get down below 170 by the New Year, so then I wouldn't be obese any more. Exercise is really key for me... I have been a gym member for ages, but each visit costs me a bomb, as they are so infrequent. I am now trying really hard to get down there twice a week, and then do some sort of exercise on the other days, as 1200 cals is hard for me, I have such a sweet tooth. To make myself go out and exercise, I set myself challenges this year... mad... but I entered the Great South Run in Portsmouth - 10 miles on the flat, and completed it 2 weeks ago. I didn't run all the way, but since I started training for it I can now jog slowly for about 3 minutes then walk for a minute, and so on. Two years ago I could walk very slowly, but even then got out of breath and found it hard to talk and walk. So I can see the progress!!

I will look forward to getting to know you all a bit better!
  • howe60
    howe60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Jmkmomm x Thanks for that. YMCA sounds cool. We have ymca here but nit the same. Hope your procedure went ok xx
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hi all! It's a nice day here in Kansas, if you like it a little windy and cold. I actually do enjoy it sometimes, which drives hubby nuts. He likes hot weather,

I'm getting ready to leave for Kansas City about 4:00 when hubby finishes his classes for the day. I'm all packed and getting ready to take the dogs to prison. Poor babies don't like when we pack suitcases. They know something is up. We will stay overnight there so we don't have so far to go in the morning. They are supposed to call me between 1:00 and 4:00 today to give me the time I need to be there. I have two Nevada Barr audiobooks loaded in my ipad, ready to go, and a real book just in case. Last time I couldn't have read a book cause they had me flat on my back for 8 hours, so maybe the audiobooks will work out better.

I was reading online about the new trend in heart cath is to use the wrist instead of the groin, which they said is the way they do it in Europe because it's safer and easier to recover from. Just a bandaid on the wrist and you can sit up right away. Boy, that would be nice. But they said only 8 percent of heart Cath's done in the US are through the wrist, so I'm not too hopeful.

We took the kids out to buy winter coats last night and then out to supper. It was so much fun!

I just had the best lunch! I make really low salt bread using the Food.com Kittencal's French Bread recipe but only add 1/2 teaspoon of salt instead of the 3 teaspoons called for. So I had a grilled cheese sandwich using slices of that bread, spread with unsalted butter, and Swiss cheese. And a nice ripe pear! Yummy! It was just like real food!

I hope everybody is having a fantastic day!

Sylvia
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just checking in..would like to jump in when time permits. :o)
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    Hi Beautiful Ladies!

I am doing well with my goals so far, except water and cardio. I think that with the water I am going to start with eight ounces a day and work up to 64 ounces or eight cups daily. Saturday morning, I am going to make myself go to the gym. There is a yoga class, so I plan on riding the recumbent bike and getting on the rowing machine.

Barbie, as always thank you for this thread.
    DeeDee, I appreciate your support. I appreciate your posts very much.

Grandmallie- I hope your SIL's colonscopy goes well. I've had one, so I know she will appreciate going out to lunch afterward.

Meg- Enjoy your mani-pedi!

MJHarmen - I know what you mean about school and eating. This school year, I have not been able to get with it. My schedule is
    crazy, sometimes I skip breakfast and then the whole day is shot. Hang in there. :smile:

Florawanda - That is great that you challenged your self with the run!

Sylvia - Good luck with your procedure. I hope everything goes well for you. :smile:

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone!
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My targets have sort of transformed as the month has gone on. I haven't been to dance class but I've increased my cycling so I reckon that makes up for it. The mad chair lady exercises kill me but I persevere. Water is the hardest. Some days I achieve but others go to the dogs.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi All, :flowerforyou:

The dreaded algebra class is done and I survived and even ended up with a 98%! Now I only have five more weeks of psychology, but I'm doing really well in that right now, probably because it's so interesting! My big paper will be on stress management and I'm sure that I'll learn some interesting things researching that topic and hopefully some good pointers for my own life. Did a good deed last night and surprised the woman in front of me in line at Kmart. She was putting two pair of kids gloves back because she didn't have enough money to pay for them with the rest of her items, which were also childrens' things. I told the cashier to add them to my total and the woman surprised me with a big hug. :smile: We're struggling financially right now too but I know how tough it is to provide for young kids especially this time of year!

NSV-Got my new swimsuit that I ordered online for my water Zumba classes and it fit! Last summer I wore a 2X size and this one is a 16!

Meg-Sounds like a fun day getting your mani-pedi! You deserve a treat!

Have a restful evening , but not too restful. As my chiropractor would say, "Move it or lose it!"

Kathy in pleasant IL