Parenthood is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    The parenthood experience is a rollercoaster. Some days, your kids make you filled with so much joy and happieness. You are so proud when they bring home their first test at school with an A on it. Other days they test the *kitten* out of you and drive you absolutely crazy. But, overall, I wouldn't change it for the world.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I woke up last weekend and decided I was going to drive 4 hours to Philly to get Amish donuts from Reading Terminal Market. Yesterday I got back home and did nothing but enjoy watching sports uninterrupted the rest of the night. Today I'm thinking of going hiking if it doesn't snow.

All these are things my best friend wanted to do but couldn't cause he is anchored down by the responsibility of being a good Dad. And that would be my worry if I ever had kids is wanting to do the best for them and how much that would take away from me being me.

Some people lead boring lives and kids tend to introduce excitement, so that might definitely be worth it for them. It's like a play doll that you have to keep alive.

I love kids but that might have something to do with the fact that I get to enjoy engaging them in limited amounts, because I have the option of giving them back to their parents and going to do other things.

For me currently, kids are not even close to being worth it.

In my life if I really wanted to drive 4 hours to Philly for Amish Donuts I'd would do exactly that, I'd wake up pack some bags, get a hotel room, drive the 4 hours, get the donuts, then go find some really cool stuff to do with my son, go out to whatever restaurant I want to (because we've always taken him to restaurants he's really good in them, and he'll eat anything we put in front of him), put him to bed, sit in the hallway and drink wine with my husband, wake up the next morning, do some more really cool stuff, then drive the 4 hours home. Even before kids we wouldn't be able to stay more than a night, you know because of work.
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options
    love my time single more than married, but nothing comes close to loving my time with children
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    having pets make you a parent and they replied in such a way that said they aren't ready to be parents.....read the entire thing quote.

Seriously? It doesn't.

Having kids and allowing yourself to grow as they grow makes you a parent.

Having pets makes you a pet owner, no matter how much you love your little fluffy-wuffy munchkins. Fact.

^^ Exactly

Being responsible for a tiny human is night and day compared to caring for animals. I do call them my babies, but raising children cannot compare to raising animals.
    just because someone agrees with you doesn't make your right LOL neither I.

but seriously, I know people who actually care a lot about their pets......hell they even have facebooks for them.

calm down, you probably would make a bad parent anyway...I mean u kick dogs.

Show me a person willing to spend a 100k or double their net worth (which ever figure is greater) to save their pet. Then I can actually point at that person and say they value their pet as much as a child.

Otherwise it is easy to point out there is a difference between the two.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Oh... and may I just add OP...

It's a little late to be asking yourself if it's worth it, don't ya think? LOL!

You're gonna be a great mom. Don't worry about it!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Toddlers and preschoolers were tough for me because I'm not the most patient person in the world and human beings that are obstinate and unreasonable 95% of their waking hours are difficult to manage for impatient people. Now that everyone can speak in full sentences and control their bodily functions (ages 8 to 14), we get along pretty well.

:ohwell: 17 month old pushing impatient Mommy's buttons....

Thanks for this post. I am glad I am not alone. Right now I am toying with the "will I be a better Mommy if I only have one?" thought process...... :heart: I appreciate your honesty.

OMG- Exactly right. I was behind the barn door when the virtue of patience was passed out, and my 21mo runs out the limit on it every single day. I love her more than life but there are days where I lose it. And I mean LOSE it. She's not just stubborn, but obstinate, so we have a battle of wills on a daily basis. I tell her I've got 31 years of experience on her, and she won't win! But she hasn't figured it out yet! LOL

I've always thought that because of my temperment and lack of patience that I will have an easier time once she's speaking in full sentences, and personally, I cannot wait for teenage years... I've got all sorts of tricks up my sleeve ;)
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Ummm....not only do they not talk back, but you also can leave them home alone at the age of 1 without having them taken away. I have a child and two fur-babies. Yes they are a part of my family, but it is not the same as having a human child.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I woke up last weekend and decided I was going to drive 4 hours to Philly to get Amish donuts from Reading Terminal Market. Yesterday I got back home and did nothing but enjoy watching sports uninterrupted the rest of the night. Today I'm thinking of going hiking if it doesn't snow.

All these are things my best friend wanted to do but couldn't cause he is anchored down by the responsibility of being a good Dad. And that would be my worry if I ever had kids is wanting to do the best for them and how much that would take away from me being me.

Some people lead boring lives and kids tend to introduce excitement, so that might definitely be worth it for them. It's like a play doll that you have to keep alive.

I love kids but that might have something to do with the fact that I get to enjoy engaging them in limited amounts, because I have the option of giving them back to their parents and going to do other things.

For me currently, kids are not even close to being worth it.

In my life if I really wanted to drive 4 hours to Philly for Amish Donuts I'd would do exactly that, I'd wake up pack some bags, get a hotel room, drive the 4 hours, get the donuts, then go find some really cool stuff to do with my son, go out to whatever restaurant I want to (because we've always taken him to restaurants he's really good in them, and he'll eat anything we put in front of him), put him to bed, sit in the hallway and drink wine with my husband, wake up the next morning, do some more really cool stuff, then drive the 4 hours home. Even before kids we wouldn't be able to stay more than a night, you know because of work.

Well some of us are lucky and don't work on the weekend :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There are definitely times that I miss my freedom but ultimately my boys are totally worth it. It's a love like no other...true unconditional love...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I had my son when I was 21. It was hard, right after I had him, I got divorced. Being a single mom of a toddler, working 3 jobs and struggling to pay the bills was tough. But I adored him always! I met my current husband when my son was 2 1/2 and he's been in his life ever since. My son is 25 now and has his own life.

My husband and I are empty nesters and love every minute of it. We have 4 dogs that we adore, 3 golden retrievers and a lab. Our vacations are planned around our dogs, if it's not dog friendly, then we don't go. I will say, 4 dogs are SO much easier than one child. LOL
  • catlady100
    Options
    Smart *kitten*-ery aside, ;0) I'm a mom of 4 but I started young and gave up my freedom by 25. I do love my kids, but not sure I'd do that again. My husband and I only had a very few short years before our relationship went from being all about us to all about them. I think that was really the hardest part.

I *adored* my babies as babies. I was a great baby mom. Toddlers and preschoolers were tough for me because I'm not the most patient person in the world and human beings that are obstinate and unreasonable 95% of their waking hours are difficult to manage for impatient people. Now that everyone can speak in full sentences and control their bodily functions (ages 8 to 14), we get along pretty well. Although I maintain that sibling bickering is the definition of hell and I probably would have been a bang up mom if I'd stopped at one.

The sleep deprivation sucks balls but holidays are a lot more fun. Traveling will blow for a decade. I'd advise you to skip it all together and save your money for a friggin' FANTASTIC vacation when the kid turns 10 or 12. The toys are fun. Your photography will improve (because kids inherently look cute in pictures) until they hit the awkward tween stage. Go to the grocery store ALONE, even if that means you go at 1 a.m. Don't stop having sex, even if it's just quickies for the next four years. Don't buy goldfish because those g*da*n things are addictive and have 100,000 calories per handful.

I think that's it. Enjoy. ;)
  • catlady100
    Options
    Smart *kitten*-ery aside, ;0) I'm a mom of 4 but I started young and gave up my freedom by 25. I do love my kids, but not sure I'd do that again. My husband and I only had a very few short years before our relationship went from being all about us to all about them. I think that was really the hardest part.

I *adored* my babies as babies. I was a great baby mom. Toddlers and preschoolers were tough for me because I'm not the most patient person in the world and human beings that are obstinate and unreasonable 95% of their waking hours are difficult to manage for impatient people. Now that everyone can speak in full sentences and control their bodily functions (ages 8 to 14), we get along pretty well. Although I maintain that sibling bickering is the definition of hell and I probably would have been a bang up mom if I'd stopped at one.

The sleep deprivation sucks balls but holidays are a lot more fun. Traveling will blow for a decade. I'd advise you to skip it all together and save your money for a friggin' FANTASTIC vacation when the kid turns 10 or 12. The toys are fun. Your photography will improve (because kids inherently look cute in pictures) until they hit the awkward tween stage. Go to the grocery store ALONE, even if that means you go at 1 a.m. Don't stop having sex, even if it's just quickies for the next four years. Don't buy goldfish because those g*da*n things are addictive and have 100,000 calories per handful.

I think that's it. Enjoy. ;)

ALL of this is true for me. You are my mothering twin :flowerforyou:
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    having pets make you a parent and they replied in such a way that said they aren't ready to be parents.....read the entire thing quote.

Seriously? It doesn't.

Having kids and allowing yourself to grow as they grow makes you a parent.

Having pets makes you a pet owner, no matter how much you love your little fluffy-wuffy munchkins. Fact.
    wrong.

the people I know dress their pets, kiss their pets.....let them sleep in the bed with them.....buy them gifts.....train them.....watch them.....take them on vacation with them....etc I could go on..

kids???????????????????

and seriously people......I'm chilling at work and replying.......geez its no biggie LOL you guys need to evaluate yourself here.

That still does not make them parents. Nobody is getting all worked up. It's your opinion, but it just happens to be different that most of the people on here. Do you have kids?

Ummm....not only do they not talk back, but you also can leave them home alone at the age of 1 without having them taken away. I have a child and two fur-babies. Yes they are a part of my family, but it is not the same as having a human child.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    We had a completely planned pregnancy, but I *hated* it, and I *hated* my daughter when she was born and about a year afterwards. There are still fleeting moments when I regret having her (she's almost 3). BUT - I had severe antenatal and post-partum depression, and it was made worse by people telling me "oh, you'll love her as soon as she's born and you look into her eyes" - because I didn't love her then.

Once I started on meds (at a year), it changed. For the most part, I wouldn't give her up for the world, but sometimes the depression triggers and I get those fleeting moments. I just remember her smiles and hugs, and it gets me through the worst parts.

long story short: even if you don't love your baby at first sight - it will come although it may take a long time...

Thank you for your honesty. These topics are pushed out like taboo, but they are SO seriously prevalent and important to talk about! I admire your courage to say what is true. :heart:
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Cheap entertainment. Also you get to play with toys again and no one looks at you funny.

Love this one!! Might actually make me consider having some some day... :wink:

One word: LEGOS!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom and my son's father hasn't been involved for the last year and a half. It can be tough at times, I'm 28 and there are times I wish I could go out and I can, my parents will watch him for me and stuff but it can be hard being the only parent and not sharing the responsibility with someone, especially when he's being naughty on purpose (almost 3). That all being said he is a great kid and I really can't complain about him one bit, he is sweet, caring, does what he's supposed to most of the time and he's smart. He wasn't planned it just happened, but really I wouldn't change it for the world, he is my everything, I work and he goes to school, he loves school, if I go out without him I feel like something is missing most of the time, parenting has it's hard times but it's also a bond where you can't understand it until you have it. Nothing will prepare you for it but I will say when I first brought him home I was so overwhelmed that I didn't have that instant feeling, of course I loved him but it wasn't all that everyone had talked about, it was a distant bond...I'm not proud of it but I own it and it's not how it is anymore. Just be prepared but don't let someone tell you what you should feel about your kids.
  • leed12345
    leed12345 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The fun of freedom is so not even close to the unspeakable joy of being called "Mama". I wish I'd given up a few years of freedom and started sooner. I adore, love, worship and cherish my little boy every second of every day, even when he's being obnoxious. I can hardly wait to give him brothers and sisters!

I feel exactly the same. I had my first at 38 and my second at 43. As much as I cherished my freedom, I wish I had started earlier. I would have had more energy for all the fun, love, and joy they bring to my life. I feel so blessed that it was not too late for me.

My daughters make my entire life feel worthwhile and everything that came before fades into oblivion. It's amazing that I actually believed my life was rich and full before they came along. Colors are brighter, the world is more beautiful, and I wear my heart on my sleeve for them, I have become more understanding and compassionate toward everyone because of them.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Save yourself.

I'm not having kids, but I would like to rent one on Halloween so I could still go trick or treating. Anyone willing to start a "rent-a-kid" program?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I had my son when I was 21, I've loved it so much I waited until he was nearly 13 to start all over again with my second :noway: (due January) I'd have happily done it sooner, I always wanted 4 with a 2 year gap but it never happened like that. I don't feel like I have missed out on any freedom, just hope I don't get the urge to do it all again in another 12/13 years :wink: :laugh:
  • uberdilettante
    uberdilettante Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What a great question! I'm really interested in these responses and in hearing about how things go with you. I'm pondering the same questions at this point in my life, actually. :smile: