Do I have to eat 100% clean to lose weight?

Options
I've been using mfp again for the past month and while I lost a solid 8lbs with running, eating back exercise calories, and setting a goal of 1500 cals I have stalled for the past week. However, my diet isn't the healthiest with fries and hamburgers at times because of work. I always pick the correct calorie amount for the junk food but I an wondering if that is what is keeping me from losing weight. I thought it was all about maintaining a deficit but am I wrong?

Replies

• starvinkevin
    Options
    Nm google had the answer - guy lost almost 30lbs and his cholesterol levels improved on a junk food diet over 10 weeks.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/comments/MY01589_comments/POST=1#post
  • Cole721
    Options
    Try IIFYM instead of just a set calories count. It's hard for me to still think I can eat a cookie or ice cream or pizza versus a salad or no butter popcorn etc, but it might help you balance out your levels more.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    No, You will lose weight as long as you are eating at a deficit.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think it helps but it's not 100% necessary.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My diary will enhance the weight loss of many clean eaters - through vomiting. I really should be ashamed of myself and lock that thing up before it kills again, but I've lost a hell of a lot of weight.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Its not necessary but it has helped me greatly and I feel better overall not eating crap.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    No. You need to burn more calories than you take into your body to lose weight.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I dont think so.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No. See ticker below.
  • abac30
    abac30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat 100% clean however just creating a calorie deficit will not help your goal. The timing of when you eat bad food can be helpful to your cause. Look into carb backloading. It is a fun way to lose get lean and eat what you want
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    No.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat 100% clean however just creating a calorie deficit will not help your goal. The timing of when you eat bad food can be helpful to your cause. Look into carb backloading. It is a fun way to lose get lean and eat what you want

A caloric deficit is all one needs to lose weight. Period. Nothing else.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Yes. Make sure all of your food comes in wrappers to preserve cleanliness.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    05TH_PASSWORD_913662e.jpg

No.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    No, and it is definately not easy to eat 100% clean.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it is the deficit that matters. However, when you reduce your calories you also reduce your intake of all the 'good' things in food, e.g. vitamins and minerals. If you decide to eat your 1500 calories a day only from potato chips you will probably lose weight but you will also be putting yourself at risk of nutrient deficiencies, which can cause you to get ill, which can undermine your attempt to lose weight.

So the smart thing to do for your health is to choose to eat 'clean', e.g. nutrient dense, foods.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat 100% clean however just creating a calorie deficit will not help your goal.

If the goal is weight loss, yes it will.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

135327537354.gif
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Nope.

A deficit is all you really need. However, eating better calories..... fruits/veggies/lean mean vs McDonalds will be beneficial to your loss.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works is moderation.