Parenthood is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    As a father of four sons (24, 23, 22, 13), I could write for days on this. Let me sum it all up with one quick story.

December 19, 2001. Around three months after 9/11. My sons were 11, 10, 9 and 2. My wife and I took them to the site of the World Trade Center (and a few days later, the Pentagon), because we felt like there were many lessons to be learned there. We stood outside an ancient church just two blocks from ground zero. On the sidewalk outside the church was an informal, impromptu memorial with blankets, pictures of dead and missing family members, prayer candles, and scrawled words of inspiration and hope. In the center was a broad brimmed hat filled with change, ones, fives, tens and twenties. Now, keep in mind this was New York City. No one was watching the money. No one took the money. My boys asked me why the money was on the ground in the hat. I explained that people donated the money to help the families whose mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, and sons and daughters, died in the 9/11 attack.

My son, Ben, is a Legomaniac. He always has been. When he heard that New York City had a Lego store, he asked for extra chores in the months before our trip so that he could buy something at the store with his own money. After weeks of picking up leaves, taking out trash, cleaning out cars, and such, he had enough to buy himself something at the Lego store.

Without asking our permission, or telling us what he was going to do, Ben dug into his jeans pocket, took out his precious little wad of bills, and laid it in the hat. He stood there staring at the hat for the longest time. My wife and I looked at each other with tears streaming down our faces. In that moment, Ben gave us proof that the values and empathy we worked to instill in our sons had taken hold.

Was it worth spending the past quarter century taking care of four souls and putting their needs and wants before ours? Yeah. It was worth it. And thensome.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Raise your hand if you wish your parents had chosen sleeping in or pets over having you? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Umm...so you're saying that everyone should breed uncontrollably, even if they don't want to, just because they themselves are alive? :noway:

"Breed uncontrollably"? I'm not sure where you pulled that from, certainly not from anything I posted.

Anyone who doesn't want to "breed" certainly shouldn't - I just find it funny that people who brag about how carefree and selfish they are by not having kids benefited from sacrifices from parents didn't feel the same way. (Excluding people who hate their parents - even so, I'd rather be alive with crappy parents than never to have existed - what fun would that have been?)
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    As a father of four sons (24, 23, 22, 13), I could write for days on this. Let me sum it all up with one quick story.

December 19, 2001. Around three months after 9/11. My sons were 11, 10, and 2. My wife and I took them to the site of the World Trade Center (and a few days later, the Pentagon), because we felt like there were many lessons to be learned there. We stood outside an ancient church just two blocks from ground zero. On the sidewalk outside the church was an informal, impromptu memorial with blankets, pictures of dead and missing family members, prayer candles, and scrawled words of inspiration and hope. In the center was a broad brimmed hat filled with change, ones, fives, tens and twenties. Now, keep in mind this was New York City. No one was watching the money. No one took the money. My boys asked me why the money was on the ground in the hat. I explained that people donated the money to help the families whose mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, and sons and daughters, died in the 9/11 attack.

My son, Ben, is a Legomaniac. He always has been. When he heard that New York City had a Lego store, he asked for extra chores in the months before our trip so that he could buy something at the store with his own money. After weeks of picking up leaves, taking out trash, cleaning out cars, and such, he had enough to buy himself something at the Lego store.

Without asking our permission, or telling us what he was going to do, Ben dug into his jeans pocket, took out his precious little wad of bills, and laid it in the hat. He stood there staring at the hat for the longest time. My wife and I looked at each other with tears streaming down our faces. In that moment, Ben gave us proof that the values and empathy we worked to instill in our sons had taken hold.

Was it worth spending the past quarter century taking care of four souls and putting their needs and wants before ours? Yeah. It was worth it. And thensome.

You made me cry at my desk, thank a lot.

Seriously though, that is an incredible story and you obviously are fantastic parents.
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    Very cute! and funny :laugh: (<---Referring to the http://littlewhitelion.com/people-with-no-kids-dont-know-46781/ Video)

Being a parent can be tough for sure.. I have 2, a boy and a girl and totally worth it in my world :heart: :heart:
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Raise your hand if you wish your parents had chosen sleeping in or pets over having you? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Umm...so you're saying that everyone should breed uncontrollably, even if they don't want to, just because they themselves are alive? :noway:

"Breed uncontrollably"? I'm not sure where you pulled that from, certainly not from anything I posted.

Anyone who doesn't want to "breed" certainly shouldn't - I just find it funny that people who brag about how carefree and selfish they are by not having kids benefited from sacrifices from parents didn't feel the same way. (Excluding people who hate their parents - even so, I'd rather be alive with crappy parents than never to have existed - what fun would that have been?)

Why shouldn't we brag? The people in my life who have children brag about how life changing it is and how much I'm missing out. Um, no. People will brag about their children. People will brag about their lives without children. Who cares?
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, someone just sent this to me. Seems like this would be a good place to leave it.

Some NSFW language
    http://littlewhitelion.com/people-with-no-kids-dont-know-46781/

That was awesome! I needed a good laugh. Thanks :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Why shouldn't we brag? The people in my life who have children brag about how life changing it is and how much I'm missing out. Um, no. People will brag about their children. People will brag about their lives without children. Who cares?

Nothing people love more than bragging for the sake of bragging...
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Show me a person willing to spend a 100k or double their net worth (which ever figure is greater) to save their pet. Then I can actually point at that person and say they value their pet as much as a child.

Otherwise it is easy to point out there is a difference between the two.

I have plenty of friends that spend thousands on medical issues with their pets every year. I know people that can't get over the lost of a pet every year.

It's easy for you to......because you are not them.

Just saying.

Spending thousands and meeting the criteria I just mentioned are two different things. Like you I know a lot of people who would spend thousands on their pets because they can afford it. But I have yet to review a bankruptcy chapter 7 that happened due to a pet owner trying to save their 3 year old hamster/cat/dog from dying.

It is easy for me to say pigs don't fly...... because I never seen one nor heard of one doing so.

"Just saying"
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I never used to want children. Then, at 40, I had a son. Then, our daughter died at 26 weeks' gestation. Since we have had another boy and a girl. I am 46 years old with three living children and another one on the way. And they are...

worth.
    every.
    second.

I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter and so happy you were blessed with another boy and girl. And yes, they are worth every second!

Thank you!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options

December 19, 2001. Around three months after 9/11. My sons were 11, 10, 9 and 2. My wife and I took them to the site of the World Trade Center (and a few days later, the Pentagon), because we felt like there were many lessons to be learned there. We stood outside an ancient church just two blocks from ground zero. On the sidewalk outside the church was an informal, impromptu memorial with blankets, pictures of dead and missing family members, prayer candles, and scrawled words of inspiration and hope. In the center was a broad brimmed hat filled with change, ones, fives, tens and twenties. Now, keep in mind this was New York City. No one was watching the money. No one took the money. My boys asked me why the money was on the ground in the hat. I explained that people donated the money to help the families whose mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, and sons and daughters, died in the 9/11 attack.

BEAUTIFUL!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, someone just sent this to me. Seems like this would be a good place to leave it.

Some NSFW language
    http://littlewhitelion.com/people-with-no-kids-dont-know-46781/

Haha, I really feel it is that bad for parents just watching the constant battles they have with their kids over the smallest things.

I found my shoes! :laugh:
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    To all you pet haters out there. There are too many people in the world and there are too many homeless pets in shelters. Having a pet DOES make you a parent, so chill out.

BTW I want to add that I have been to hell and back with one of my kids but despite the ups and downs having children has been he best thing I have ever done in my life! I love my kids unconditionally. I also love my dog, cats and chickens. Well not the chickens so much. LOL
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and the only one of my friends left that hasn't had children. I, in some ways, feel like its too late to have kids for me. I don't want to be that gray haired lady that goes to parent teacher meetings and everyone thinking I am this child's grandparent... I love that I can do what I want when I want... I love working third shift and I love my freedom. I know it sounds selfish but I like the time I get to spend with my man and a kid would get in the way with that. I like to have my friends kids over and then give them back at the end of the day... after they are over for awhile I get over my baby fever fairly quickly. So, I think I will just stick with my 2 dogs and call it a day. lol
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had my first child at 31, my second at 33 and now I'm pregnant with my third at 36,

My kids are amazing and I honesty can't imagine life without them. I had all my nights out and so on when I was younger. I spent years at university (BA, MA then teacher training a few years later) and lived in France for a year. I got all that out of my system!

Yeah, lack of sleep sucks sometimes, but there is nothing nicer than mornings hugs with one of your babies.

My eldest is 4.5 now and started school in Sept (kids start at 4 in England) and I miss him so much when he's there, but it's so lovely hearing about all the things he's learning.

I also had a career already (teaching) which I have been able to go back to after maternity leave, and I work part time now, so I have the best of both worlds.

I think if you don't want kids, then that is your choice, and far better not to have them if they're not wanted, but I think having kids is something you'll never regret.

You can still have a life too! I still go to the gym, see friends, have the occasional night out etc.
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Caught the last train to motherhood, adopting a 3rd old at 46. Having had a tough start she's challenging but worth it. I knew it would be emotionally tough but I wasn't expecting having to exercise my brain, learning so much about attachment and development too.
    For someone with little maternal instinct, it was only after my partners baby died at birth that we considered adopting. Couldn't imagine my life without the little one now, and am happy to abdicate prime position to her needs for as long as that's necessary. In return, she makes me laugh daily and we do new stuff all the time which stops the boring rut. Would advise against dealing the menopause at the same time as early parenting though, lack of sleep from hormones makes me murderous!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and the only one of my friends left that hasn't had children. I, in some ways, feel like its too late to have kids for me. I don't want to be that gray haired lady that goes to parent teacher meetings and everyone thinking I am this child's grandparent... I love that I can do what I want when I want... I love working third shift and I love my freedom. I know it sounds selfish but I like the time I get to spend with my man and a kid would get in the way with that. I like to have my friends kids over and then give them back at the end of the day... after they are over for awhile I get over my baby fever fairly quickly. So, I think I will just stick with my 2 dogs and call it a day. lol

I started working on my first at 38. My missus was 30.

I'm still going to be kicking *kitten* and taking names long into my 80's!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I started working on my first at 38. My missus was 30.

I'm still going to be kicking *kitten* and taking names long into my 80's!

You are almost 40? You look younger! :smile:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    My 15 month old crawled under/through my legs as I was squatting a lightweight warm-up... tried to keep going, but was booty bumping her. I could see her in the mirror and as annoyed as I was, I also thought it was adorable and cute. She might be my workout partner someday :heart:

No regrets ever. My kids complete me. The baby daddy is okay, too, lol.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My husband and I waited 11 years after we got married to have kids. We just didn't feel ready and we got to do a lot of things we wouldn't have been able to do if we had kids.
    I was 34 and 36 when I had my boys. If I hadn't waited so long, I probably would have had more.
    I don't feel like I have given up my freedom at all. I get to be a stay at home mom and spend lots of time playing, reading books and being a referee :)
    When your kids develop their sense of humor, it is the BEST! Write down the hilarious things that they say. You think you'll remember them all, but you won't.
    Enjoy every minute! Time flies :happy:
  • mccluskeybl
    mccluskeybl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband and I treasure our family. We have two girls who have grown up so fast. We are sad when we think of the day they move out. We wish them full and independent lives, but will miss them dearly. Embrace this moment in time and welcome to a whole new world! :) (Is it challenging? You bet!)