Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I think you got it backwards. It's usually people that are "clean eaters" bashing people who lose weight eating junk that I'm more familiar with. With lines like "let's see how healthy you are eating junk in 10 years" or "you may be losing weight, but your poisoning yourself with processed foods" are common by clean eaters.
    The debate against clean eaters is usually stated as: you don't JUST have to eat clean to lose weight and be healthy. And for some reason, clean eaters take personal offense to it. There's also much denial about "a calorie is a calorie" argument. Somehow thermogenesis is skewed if one doesn't eat clean.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    In late...... brought some popcorn and a gazelle....... :happy:

2irukv5jpg.gif

lmao
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's primarily the ones who've had difficulties with their weight in the past. They've decided (or are unable) to not give up foods high in fat and sugar (i.e. "junk food"), and due to whatever limited success they've had, believe there is something wrong with those who desire to cut such things out of their diet.
    I'll take my "limited success" over a cartoon any day.
    openpike_zps53721435.gif
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it's an all or nothing kinda religion ... you can eat salads and lean meat all organic for 6 days, but if you go to McDonalds on the 7th day you are out of the club
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree! This is myFITNESSpal, not myWEIGHTLOSSpal. Eating clean contributes to fitness in more ways than eating twinkies at a deficit does.

Why does eating twinkies mean you aren't fit?

NO ONE SAID THAT! This is exactly what I'm talking about.

It was implied that eating twinkes = not fit.

Still waiting on the three ways eating clean contributes more to fitness than eating "twinkies" or whatever else does.

It was not implied. You inferred it.

3 Reasons: Meeting your nutritional needs before you eat exclusively snacks is on its face better for you or nutritional guidelines would not exist at all. Twinkies take a great deal of processing and transporting of ingredients to accomplish, which contributes to water and air pollution, neither or which are good for you. Twinkies contain a lot of corn-based ingredients which contribute to the mono-cropping of American and threaten the sustainability of the food system.

Do your own freaking research on Twinkies. You are lazy for making me do it for you.

I see some people on here that survive exclusively on fast food and I really don't want to pay for your Obamacare for you.

Reading through the thread, and OP, ironically, you just did exactly what pisses most people off.

I have to agree. That comment was completely unnecessary.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you're not washing your foods before you cook, then you eat dirty.

"Clean Eating" is BS. You have a liver and kidneys which "clean your system. The same goes for "Detoxing" your body. Bunch of crap. While they "work" they do more harm. Do your research.

If you want to "eat clean" then eat foods without the processed crap. Easy peasy.

That is what I mean by clean....non processed. I don't get where ppl are talking about cleanses and stuff. Lol. Is this the enema thread? Whoops my bad lol

where do you draw the line at "processed"...how exactly are the black beans in a can so much filthier than if I spent all day making my own black beans? When it comes down to it, everything has some, at least, minimal processing just to get it to your store.

For me...personally....the line is drawn at what I can afford and what I can't live without.

Boxed dinners (hamburger helper etc) I will not buy. I do buy organic cereal but rarely eat it (cereal doesn't agree with me).
    I buy my veggies, fruits, and eggs from my local farmers as much as I can. I get organic if I can afford it.
    Protein....Can't afford the high dollar stuff.

Ben and Jerry's....will not live without

Werd!
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't bash it at all, but its not the end all be all.

If you eat fewer calories than your body consumes you will lose weight. However, if you want to be as healthy as possible you should be paying attention to Macro Nutrients and Micro Nutrients. If you only eat Twinkies, are you going to get enough protein, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, fiber, Vitamin A, B, C, D, E, calcium, potassium etc? I have found you end up eating much healthier to stay below your calorie limit and get all the above nutrition. Filling your calories with vegetables, lean meats, some fruits, dairy, etc IMHO will keep you healthier than just getting your calorie as a calorie.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    LOL There is a whole book dedicated to that topic called Twinkie Deconstructed. Read it if you're so inclined.
    Twinkie, Deconstructed: My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients Found in Processed Foods Are Grown, Mined (Yes, Mined), and Manipulated into What America Eats Paperback
    by Steve Ettlinger (Author)

I stopped reading this thread after this post because it was just too much BUT thank you for this book recommendation! I'm going to check it out! If you have any other suggestions, I'd love if you messaged me! I'm always on the hunt for a great book.
  • hollyanne572
    hollyanne572 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Didnt read other comments.

I've noticed a little bit, or defending poorer choices like fast food, and yes they do have nutritional value, but seems silly to bash eating fresh fruit and veggies over packaged or prepared foods.

Completely agree
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Recently I gained some weight and was trying to lose it and was stuck on one hell of a plateau. I got fed up and decided to try something different. I switched to eating sort of clean, same number of calories, and four pounds fell off like whoa. I wasn't eating a ton of crap before, not a lot of sodium either. I don't eat out much and I cook at home from scratch and have for a long time. The only real difference is going from a pretty normal albeit healthy diet to one that is high in veggies, lean protein, and much lower in grains and cheese.

Some of the clean eating stuff gets a bit silly. I can't fathom a reason one would want to avoid lentils, for example, and I don't want to not EVER eat bread. But I was in the habit of eating more bread than veggies and I figured I could stand to make a change in that department.

1400 cals this way is way more satisfying than 1400 cals ever has been. I gave up most junk food and white wheat products long ago but now I've gone an extra step. Personally, I'm glad I did. Nobody else has to, but again I was stuck in a rut and thought I'd try it and it seemed to get me out of that rut. Could be coincidence, but I feel pretty good so I'm gonna stick with it. Within reason though, because I still like to go out once a week and I still like to make yummy not-clean things for my fiance and me.
  • kelerlee33
    Options
    Started eating clean eating the amount of food I did before I
    : lost weight
    : No eczema
    :no longer constantly constipated
    :Better sex drive and performance
    :better energy levels
    :sleep better
    :stay in a better mood
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am confused by this whole "clean" eating idea...or ideas I should say. I am even more confused after seeing some of the diaries of those claiming to eat "clean". I don't claim to eat clean, I don't believe in labeling foods "clean" or "dirty". I choose lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains to meet my nutritional needs, but I also eat ice cream, cookies and the occasional coffee beverage. This seems to be basically what most of the "clean" eaters are actually doing.

It looks like both sides have a lot in common. I have yet to see anyone advocate eating all "junk" food. I have seen both sides advocate moderation.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I see some people on here that survive exclusively on fast food and I really don't want to pay for your Obamacare for you.
    ONvgdLZ.gif
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've been working at eating cleanER, but I definitely don't eat 'clean'.

I don't see much bashing going on against people who eat clean - indeed, I think it's the opposite. It's the people who eat clean who generally 'bash' the people who don't.

Either way - do what works for you. If you're eating clean and it's working for you - great. Just don't criticize anyone else for not following your plan. If you're eating Twinkies (or bacon!) at a calorie deficit and it's working for you, great. Just don't criticize anyone else for not following your plan.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Recently I gained some weight and was trying to lose it and was stuck on one hell of a plateau. I got fed up and decided to try something different. I switched to eating sort of clean, same number of calories, and four pounds fell off like whoa. I wasn't eating a ton of crap before, not a lot of sodium either. I don't eat out much and I cook at home from scratch and have for a long time. The only real difference is going from a pretty normal albeit healthy diet to one that is high in veggies, lean protein, and much lower in grains and cheese.

Some of the clean eating stuff gets a bit silly. I can't fathom a reason one would want to avoid lentils, for example, and I don't want to not EVER eat bread. But I was in the habit of eating more bread than veggies and I figured I could stand to make a change in that department.

1400 cals this way is way more satisfying than 1400 cals ever has been. I gave up most junk food and white wheat products long ago but now I've gone an extra step. Personally, I'm glad I did. Nobody else has to, but again I was stuck in a rut and thought I'd try it and it seemed to get me out of that rut. Could be coincidence, but I feel pretty good so I'm gonna stick with it. Within reason though, because I still like to go out once a week and I still like to make yummy not-clean things for my fiance and me.

well... this sounds like a reasonable approach. We don't stand for that kind of logic around here. :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't bash it at all, but its not the end all be all.

If you eat fewer calories than your body consumes you will lose weight. However, if you want to be as healthy as possible you should be paying attention to Macro Nutrients and Micro Nutrients. If you only eat Twinkies, are you going to get enough protein, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, fiber, Vitamin A, B, C, D, E, calcium, potassium etc? I have found you end up eating much healthier to stay below your calorie limit and get all the above nutrition. Filling your calories with vegetables, lean meats, some fruits, dairy, etc IMHO will keep you healthier than just getting your calorie as a calorie.

People who don't eat "clean" don't just eat twinkies. I hit my macros and still manage to have my chester Cheetos pop corn, diet coke, canned soup, Burger king, KFC, French fries and ice cream.

That is the issue the "clean" eaters seem to think it's all junk or none when we know everything in moderation without deprivation.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    as to if I feel better eating clean or not clean and if I do it just for weight loss or not..

I haven't eaten in a way that I'd call truly not clean (mostly processed lots of fast food) in over 25 years so I don't know.

that should answer the question if I do it for weightloss purposes.. Nope. that's my lifestyle.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't see much bashing going on against people who eat clean - indeed, I think it's the opposite. It's the people who eat clean who generally 'bash' the people who don't.

This is true.

No one bashes grilled chicken and broccoli.

However, people constantly bash Big Macs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you're not washing your foods before you cook, then you eat dirty.

"Clean Eating" is BS. You have a liver and kidneys which "clean your system. The same goes for "Detoxing" your body. Bunch of crap. While they "work" they do more harm. Do your research.

If you want to "eat clean" then eat foods without the processed crap. Easy peasy.

That is what I mean by clean....non processed. I don't get where ppl are talking about cleanses and stuff. Lol. Is this the enema thread? Whoops my bad lol

where do you draw the line at "processed"...how exactly are the black beans in a can so much filthier than if I spent all day making my own black beans? When it comes down to it, everything has some, at least, minimal processing just to get it to your store.

For me...personally....the line is drawn at what I can afford and what I can't live without.

Boxed dinners (hamburger helper etc) I will not buy. I do buy organic cereal but rarely eat it (cereal doesn't agree with me).
    I buy my veggies, fruits, and eggs from my local farmers as much as I can. I get organic if I can afford it.
    Protein....Can't afford the high dollar stuff.

Ben and Jerry's....will not live without

Werd!

Breyer's4Lyfe!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I maintained a healthy weight and ate super-paleo-clean for the entire calendar year 2012. I felt great.

I maintained a healthy weight and ate less than clean in 2013. I felt great.

My point? I don't really have one...except maybe being at a healthy weight is more relevant than what you eat. Regardless, eat what you want...just don't preach that your approach is somehow magical without some reasonable (ie, not a blog or article) support.