5'7" goal weight?

Options

Replies

• SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for everyone saying small framed and large framed... what does this even mean? I've heard people blame being overweight on being big-boned, and I honestly don't really get that either. How can I tell if I'm small or large framed??

This is a lie/rationalization people tell themselves. Its nonsense.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. People will pick a number and tell themselves "this is my goal weight" which they still would be at a pretty high bodyfat percentage because they just don't want to admit how far they really have to go. Its probably some form of mental self-preservation/defense mechanism.
  • changejen2013
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and when I was 135lbs I had a cute flat tummy and 34c boobs. It was great...that's my goal again!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    My GW is 140 but I might change that as I get closer. I think much below that and I'll look anorexic. I'll be happy with a size 10, and am shooting for measurements more than scale when I get close.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    I'm 5'8, I look decent at 135. Aiming for 110-120. I think 135 is a good goal to start with and you can tweak it from there. I like the idea of aiming for 125 then gaining 10 in muscle. :)
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    SW :. 161
    CW:. 145
    GW:. 128

5'7" and just turned 50. I haven't been below 135 since my 20s so we'll see. But at 145 I still have a lot of visibly 'lose-able ' weight including a butt the size of a small buffalo so I'll keep going.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I am 57 yrs old and weigh 145 lbs..I am 5' 7.5".. I wouldn't mind being 140 lbs but the scale is being stubborn :) I was 183 lbs and I lost close to 40 lbs. I can wear a size 10 instead of a squeezed into size 14 and that makes me happy...

Congrats to a fellow 50 + er.

We all carry our weight differently. Just for example I am 53 and height 5'7" weight 153 lbs and fit into size 6 jeans. At this point I am more concerned with lowering my BF%.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    There are 2 ways that I know of to tell your body frame:
    1: wrap your hand around your wrist if you can't touch your fingers you are large, if they touch medium, if you can overlap them small or
    2: less than 6 inche (wrist)=small, 6 to 7= medium 7+=large

In my opinion that's why everyone looks so different even at the same weight :)
    I weight 140, 5'4" small frame size 6/4 at 130 I can fit in a size 4/2 but at 120 "I" wouldn't look healthy...
  • biorach
    biorach Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ahh the large/small hips and shoulders thing. Ok, well I can kind of see that since my shoulders/back are about 50% wider than my 3 older sisters'. Even when we were kids, I had the biggest shoulders. I've heard of women being unable to naturally deliver babies because their hips were too narrow, too. Thanks for explaining
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    5'7"

SW 184
    CW 147.5
    GW 130-140 <----Somewhere in here depending on what I look like. I need to add muscle so I foresee bulking and cutting cycles in my near future.
  • loribee1961
    Options
    I am 5'7.5" and perfectly happy at 150 which is my GW....I have about 30lbs to lose. I am 52 years old and although I weighed 128 before children ... I think that is an unrealistic goal at this point in my life. Good luck to all of you on the journey!!
  • DeonnPaul
    DeonnPaul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your frame, and like many others have written, how you carry your weight. I am 5'7", but have somewhat broad shoulders. I am also wide in the hips, and have a sizeable butt and big boobs. I personally look best between a size ten and a size twelve, but that is just me. Under 150 is too difficult for me to maintain AND still enjoy living my life. I have no desire to force myself to be stick thin, because I prefer to focus on other areas of my life as well. Each of us has a natural size, and it shouldn't take a lifetime of living off of salad greens and seltzer water to maintain that size- or hours a day at the gym. Health is about balance. Some women are small framed and naturally thin, but that isn't me, and I don't want to force it. I love my hourglass figure and curves. You'll figure out what weight is best for you!
  • laridaes
    Options
    I am 5'7.5" and at 51 my goal is 165. I've been lower, 152 was my lowest a few years ago, but I looked gaunt and kept getting sick - I wasn't a healthy 152. So I am eyeballing a healthy, fit 165. Less than 20 to go (but what a beast the last 20 has been, which is why I am here).
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/are-the-overweight-really-big-boned/

Interesting article about "big boned". The summary is being overweight forces your bones to grow to compensate for the weight gain, and that "big bones" are not the cause of weight gain but a mere adaptation TO the weight gain.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I've been approximately the size of Texas for about 5 years but recently lost a bunch of weight. I'm convinced that looking "average" is attainable now! So, I'm just wondering what weight looks good on a 5'7", 20-something female!?

SW: 215lbs
    CW: 172lbs
    GW: 135lbs???

100#s for the first 5 feet then add 5# for each additional inch. That is just a guide. Everyone is different. So, 135#s.
  • MetalPisces
    MetalPisces Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/are-the-overweight-really-big-boned/

Interesting article about "big boned". The summary is being overweight forces your bones to grow to compensate for the weight gain, and that "big bones" are not the cause of weight gain but a mere adaptation TO the weight gain.

Yes, ever see the movie Wall-e? They actually teach the kids some science about how gravity/weight has a profound effect on our bones. Prolonged periods in space cause loss of bone mass because of the decrease in gravity/weight acting on the bones.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight any more.. I changed my thought process to body composition and started heavy lifting. I can be 160lbs for all I care but if I have a solid body then I am more than OK with that :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6 3/4" and when I weighed 135-140 I had people commenting all the time that I looked gaunt and even anorexic. My target is 153.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    5'7" & my goal weight is somewhere between 115-118. Right now I'm 124 with more muscle than I used to have when I ~was~ in the 118 range, so my size is okay. At 130, I definitely looked...uh....let's say NOT as good as I could, haha. So it's definitely your build, where you carry weight, etc.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just like most people have said I think it depends on your body type, how you carry weight and how much muscle you have. I have broad shoulders and a 'thick' type build. I am 5'6 and an ideal weight for me usually sits between 140-150lbs. I have been 130 before but not been as good of shape as I have been at 147lbs. Once you get down around where you want don't pay much attention to the scale anymore...see how you feel in your clothes and how comfy you feel naked!
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There are many different factors involved when deciding on a goal weight, body frame, body type, and what your overall body goal is (build muscle, tone...etc), how you feel when you look in the mirror, how clothing fits... just to name a few.

Personally, my goal is 140ish on MFP. My end game is not to be a certain weight, my end game is to be healthier. My whole life has been a goal to be a certain weight and I have come to the realization that for my future health, it is just not a good goal. Therefore, this time (my last time) I am taking a different approach. I am eating healthier, working out both cardio and weights. I measure my success on my strength (i.e., push ups, length of planks, weights lifted, running time...etc), how my clothing fits, measurements, and body fat. I have a goal weight on here, but that goal is not going to define me. How I feel and look will be the deciding factor.

In the end it is how you feel, not about what other people's goals are.