How Do You Define "Junk Food"?

Options

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I define junk food like this... "Junk" food is ANY food you chronically over consume to the point that you gain fat. So IMO, it's more of an end user issue then the food in and of itself.

What are we arguing about here? The end user decides if it is good or bad for them. They decide if it fits or does not fit into their goals.

Snipped.

Your original quote confused me because it has a logical fallacy in it. I'm not so much arguing with you as I am trying to understand how you think it's a complete statement (that doesn't contradict itself). Whether or not a food fits someone's goals is one thing; it's quite another to essentially state that, "Well, any food that doesn't fit your goals is junk." I disagree with that because food that is junk on Monday could be just perfect on Tuesday.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    You seem to be under the erroneous impression that oils and fats are 'bad' for health.
    No. Just oil.

Why?
    Oil is pure fat, with nothing else. It is the most calorie dense food on the planet. There is a difference between olives and olive oil, just like there is a difference between corn and high fructose corn syrup, or beets and beet sugar.

People can add it to their diets and still be very healthy, especially if the other factors of good health are there (exercise, high fruit/veggie intake, social and mental stability, etc), but the part i don't like is when people seem to think that they NEED oil. They think that adding it to food will make the food somehow more healthy. You can get plenty of healthy fats from whole foods, like avocado, coconut, olives, seeds, nuts, etc.

There are a host of different reasons to choose oil over the fats you've listed. Here, I'll even use your own argument so you can understand it.

I have a friend who eats salad every day. She doesn't use oil, but she likes to put sunflower seeds in it. I've seen her completely "drench" her salad with seeds. Sometimes it seems more seeds than salad. It's crazy! She thinks that just by adding seeds to her salad, that somehow makes it more healthy, even when she's clearly over-doing it.

STOP PUTTING SEEDS ON YOUR SALAD, SHEEPLE!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    From The Way To Cook, written by Julia Child and published in 1989. It's one of my favorites.

"Because of media hype and woefully inadequate information, too many people nowadays are deathly afraid of their food, and what does fear of food do to the digestive system? ... I, for one, would much rather swoon over a few thin slices of prime beefsteak, or one small serving of chocolate mousse, or a sliver of foie gras than indulge to the full on such nonentities as fat-free gelatin puddings."

"The pleasures of the table — that lovely old-fashioned phrase — depict food as an art form, as a delightful part of civilized life. In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

and....

“Life itself is the proper binge.” ― Julia Child
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Anything that tastes bad.

i.e.
    Beets
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Soba Noodles

All JUNK food. There are many more but it's all by taste and these are my top offenders.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I define junk food like this... "Junk" food is ANY food you chronically over consume to the point that you gain fat. So IMO, it's more of an end user issue then the food in and of itself.

What are we arguing about here? The end user decides if it is good or bad for them. They decide if it fits or does not fit into their goals.

Snipped.

Your original quote confused me because it has a logical fallacy in it. I'm not so much arguing with you as I am trying to understand how you think it's a complete statement (that doesn't contradict itself). Whether or not a food fits someone's goals is one thing; it's quite another to essentially state that, "Well, any food that doesn't fit your goals is junk." I disagree with that because food that is junk on Monday could be just perfect on Tuesday.

I am at a loss...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've seen on these forums. The OP asked for opinions on junk food. Not opinions on whether you thought others opinions on junk food met your criteria for an opinion.

Interesting you should say so! I consider most of your arguments ridiculous, as well. It's been so nice catching up with you.

Thanks, that might be the best compliment I've had on this site.
  • DeonnPaul
    DeonnPaul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You seem to be under the erroneous impression that oils and fats are 'bad' for health.
    No. Just oil.

Why?
    Oil is pure fat, with nothing else. It is the most calorie dense food on the planet. There is a difference between olives and olive oil, just like there is a difference between corn and high fructose corn syrup, or beets and beet sugar.

People can add it to their diets and still be very healthy, especially if the other factors of good health are there (exercise, high fruit/veggie intake, social and mental stability, etc), but the part i don't like is when people seem to think that they NEED oil. They think that adding it to food will make the food somehow more healthy. You can get plenty of healthy fats from whole foods, like avocado, coconut, olives, seeds, nuts, etc.

My recommendation is that you let go of your need to be right, and decide not to let the eating choices of others bother you. You can get plenty of healthy fats from whole foods like avocados, or you can also choose to saute vegetables in coconut oil or add olive oil to a salad because you like the way it tastes. The end result is the same. People have different ways of doing things and there is no right way. Some folks don't like avocado or olives, and many people cannot afford to switch to a diet where most of the protein is sourced from nuts. It's a bad idea to turn your diet choices (or your definition of junk food) into a ministry that you must verbally defend. It's great if you have found something that works for you in your life. Be happy about that. Share recipes you like, and be helpful if people are interested. You can't expect everybody on a silly fitness website to agree on what the definition of "junk food" is. We have different lives and different perspectives. As an example, I personally consider any kind of crackers (even whole wheat/ stone ground/ gluten free, or whatever) to be a "junk food". Eating them does nothing for me other than make me want to keep eating them. It's just a waste to me, so I don't buy the damn things. (From time to time I have a run in, because my boyfriend buys some though!) However, somebody else might include crackers in a lunch, or with a protein or piece of fruit as a snack , and be just fine. I wouldn't get upset if they didn't view crackers as being "junk food." I have to focus on what feels right for my body, and what it takes for me to function well and at my best. Quarreling on the mfp forums will only raise your blood pressure. I recommend golfing or bird watching instead. :)
  • DeonnPaul
    DeonnPaul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    From The Way To Cook, written by Julia Child and published in 1989. It's one of my favorites.

"Because of media hype and woefully inadequate information, too many people nowadays are deathly afraid of their food, and what does fear of food do to the digestive system? ... I, for one, would much rather swoon over a few thin slices of prime beefsteak, or one small serving of chocolate mousse, or a sliver of foie gras than indulge to the full on such nonentities as fat-free gelatin puddings."

"The pleasures of the table — that lovely old-fashioned phrase — depict food as an art form, as a delightful part of civilized life. In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

and....

“Life itself is the proper binge.” ― Julia Child

Fabulous! Julia Child was awesome and amazing.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow didn't think anyone would consider oil junk food. Just because it is high in fat? lol weird. To each their own I guess.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    This has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've seen on these forums. The OP asked for opinions on junk food. Not opinions on whether you thought others opinions on junk food met your criteria for an opinion.

I agree.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Aaah. 7 pages and I still don't know what a junk food is. Good times.

It was in the very first post as defined by Websters and the Oxford dictionary. ;)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

It was in the very first post as defined by Websters and the Oxford dictionary. ;)

those are terrible definitions BTW.

only people with food phobias would accept either one at face value.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    Websters defines it as: "food that is not good for your health because it contains high amounts of fat or sugar"

Oxford Dictionary defines it as: "food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation."

Physical health is all that matters? My mental health is important to me. Emotional. If I want to eat a cupcake, I eat one. Not much nutritional value there.
    My diet consists of approx 40% fat, if I didn't have whole fat milk and cheese and so on, I wouldn't feel healthy. And I LOVE sugar.
  • Hornsby
    Options

They seem like perfect definitions to me... Pretty much what I think junk food is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say these two come closest to how *I* define junk food. And I eat some junk food. I eat it sparingly. And when I do, it's usually made by fritolay (or an copycat food product I can find at my local organic market.
    To my definition I would also add: fast food made following the same basic criteria. I also eat that sparingly.
    We all my our choices. I'd rather use my small allotment of middle age discretionary calories on a good wine than a two pop tarts.

Oxford Dictionary defines it as: "food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation."

What's your definition?
    When I say "junk food" I mean packaged snacks, candy, processed pre-packaged baked goods. Things that have a lot of non-food additives and usually too much fat, sugar and/or salt and too little micronutrients. Cheetos, pop-tarts, Snickers, Funyuns, M&Ms, things made by Frito-Lay or Little Debbie and such.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

STOP PUTTING SEEDS ON YOUR SALAD, SHEEPLE!
    What's wrong with seeds? Are you demonizing seeds? :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You did NOT just compare olive oil to high fructose corn syrup! That's, ummm, well, ABSURD.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

They seem like perfect definitions to me... Pretty much what I think junk food is.

LOL. so food in a package is automatically a "junk" food. :laugh:

if you can't see the inherent biases built in to those definitions, you might be blind.
  • Hornsby
    Options

if you can't see the inherent biases built in to those definitions, you might be blind.

You must be blind, or your reading comprehension is poor, cause no where does it say that if your food is in a package, it's bad for you.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

You must be blind, or your reading comprehension is poor, cause no where does it say that if your food is in a package, it's bad for you.

quoting the c3po avatar lady above... Oxford Dictionary defines it as: "food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation"

which is essentially the same as what you posted 2-3 pages back.