Are you a douche if you work out on Thanksgiving?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I get not supporting businesses that make people work on Thanksgiving. Of course there will be plenty of people who are happy to work the day, but, yeah, I get it.
    But....

"Grandma! Don't take that turkey out of the oven 'til I get there! I gotta work out first!!" <
    douche baggery.

I guess working out doesn't make you a douche. Being a douche about it does.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm working out Thanksgiving morning. Fortunately, my apartment gym is supervised only by camera, so the office employees won't have to be in for the gym to be open (it's 24/7 anyway). I think, might as well because I don't have to work!
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia unfortunately, but I always run on Christmas morning - does that make me a douche?
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have a couple times worked out on a major holiday but as I got older I have realized just to relax and enjoy yourself. Watch football and eat like Artie Lang at an all you can eat buffet. And the next day double up on your workout.

I will not eat like Artie Lang. I dont have enough heroin.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Um... I work out 6 days a week and I'm already a day behind so yeah. I'll be working out. I'm just going to get it done before everyone else wakes up.

ETA: I work out at home, not at a gym so it's easy for me to schedule. If you're cutting out of family time for a work out that's douchy, but getting it in beforehand not at all.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    My gym is closed for the holiday and I'm totally bummed. If the weather holds up and it's not freezing (live in northern PA) then I'm hoping to get in a run outside with my dog.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Planning at least a mile slow run (ankle rehab) or maybe more once I get started. Probably do that in the AM before cooking dinner for everyone while wife and son pick up her mom 50 miles away. (That will make it a peaceful run knowing they are not sitting home whining about me being out running!)
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've got a run with my half marathon training group. I don't really want to run, but I'll feel good afterward and I can eat some more.
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Gonna work out thanksgiving morning before driving 5 hours, it'll keep me sane.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I do what I want.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'll sure as hell be hitting it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're cutting out of family time for a work out that's douchy, but getting it in beforehand not at all.

That's pretty much my opinion on the matter. If the way your family celebrates the holiday eats up your whole day, and you're taking time away from that to get a workout in, then that is not only douchey but a sign that you may be taking it to a level of obsession that is mentally/emotionally unhealthy.

However, if you're like me and your Thanksgiving plans with your family only occupy the afternoon/evening, leaving your mornings free, then by all means!

The most important thing to understand, in my opinion, is that anything--even health and fitness--can be taken to an obsessive level that is self destructive. And in my personal opinion anyone who is not comfortable with the idea of skipping a day for the sake of spending a holiday with the family, and things like that, is severely in danger of falling into that self destructive level of obsession.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't think so --- although if you get to Thanksgiving dinner and proceed to tell everyone about your morning workout, they may think you are a douche
  • desgmz
    desgmz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I am going tomorrow as soon as they open. I guess I am a douche, then! :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm running an informal "Turkey Trot" with a bunch of douchey friends I guess. :tongue:

Why not workout if you have the time and you're not ditching family or holding up dinner to do so? Thursday is my run day, and since my parents aren't coming over until later, heck yeah, I'm runnin' tomorrow morning. Bonus that I get to do it with friends - festive way to start the day for me. :drinker:
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Nah. I plan on jumping on the treadmill for half an hour before my family arrive. Might as well earn myself a few extra calories - I know I'll be needing them!
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this myself.. lol... if my gym is open, I'm going.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm not the right person to ask. I workout on Christmas.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    what's a turkey trot? a normal run or are actual turkeys involved lol
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My Gym closes at Noon. I am more than happy that I have a race at 9:00am and I'm taking advantage of the day off to run outside, in the daylight, something I won't get the opportunity to do outside of weekends until about April. Stoopid long commute...