4500 calories on Thanksgiving? Really? I disagree.

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    My mom put in all our recipes for tomorrow and assuming we eat one full serving of each dish and have two alcoholic drinks, it comes to 1,743 calories. Not bad considering we usually only eat breakfast and dinner on Thanksgiving, not to mention we probably won't eat a full serving of everything just because it's way too much food.

I doubt most people eat only one serving and have only two drinks.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Everyone would talk *kitten* about me if I busted out the food scale during Thanksgiving dinner, and yet I might because I have a thirst for knowledge...
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    HAH HAH HAH! COME WITH ME, MY TINY FRIEND! I WILL TEACH YOU!
  • It's the two bottles of wine or so that will put me over! But it's one day so enjoy!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    I'll be happy if I stay under 8,576.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    My mom put in all our recipes for tomorrow and assuming we eat one full serving of each dish and have two alcoholic drinks, it comes to 1,743 calories. Not bad considering we usually only eat breakfast and dinner on Thanksgiving, not to mention we probably won't eat a full serving of everything just because it's way too much food.

how much is a full serving like 3oz of turkey breast, 1/3c mashed potatoes, 1/2c green bean casserole?
    Turkey is by weight (3oz, or about four slices as we cut it) and most other things are fractions of the recipe (1/8 recipe of green beans, etc). We were already pretty good at estimating portions because we both cook, but we've gotten even more accurate since we started weighing and learning.

Plus, we've both eaten at a greater deficit this week so even if we underestimate our portions, we're good. :wink:

I doubt most people eat only one serving and have only two drinks.
    Probably. But I do. And that's all I was speaking for.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I counted calories on Thanksgiving once. It was about 5000. I ate 3 pieces of pecan pie at 500 calories each. It was awesome.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

if was sitting at 8,576 i know what i'd be thinking...

...let's go for 10,000!

<insert Barny legend... ary gif here>
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I could eat that much in just cookies, without even blinking. Add in the meal, and no problem hitting that number.

Now, I probably WON"T do that, but I easily could.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    PS: I 'm baking a pie. Do you know how long it's been since I had pie? And I'm gonna eat that pie. And it will be a thing of glory and JOY LIKE I HAVEN'T KNOWN IN MONTHSSSSSSSS!!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    To be honest, I don't even care how many calories I'll consume tomorrow. It's ONE day. Okay, for me it's 2 since I have another dinner on Friday at my aunt's. But still, it's not like those 2 dinners are gonna make my 36 lbs lost magically disappear. I'll go right back to a calorie deficit after the festivities.

But for these next 2 days, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of them and be thankful for my friends and family.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Last year I stopped logging at around 7,000 calories or so. I had somewhere in the neighborhood of the same for Christmas. It's actually not that much when you're talking about calorie dense foods and beverages and basically eating and drinking all day long. I didn't hinder my weight loss either...I lost a good chunk of my weight in the months of Nov, Dec, and Jan last year. I enjoyed my holidays and then got back down to business afterwards.

Also, you're probably eating more than you think you are OP...unless you're weighing out exactly 3 oz of turkey breast, etc I can pretty much guarantee it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    1500 to 1800 in beer alone. Plus bourbon and maybe wine. The last two years I've started out trying to log it all but I end up just saying screw it. I don't know that I'll hit 10,000 but 5000 is no problem. None at all.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member

if was sitting at 8,576 i know what i'd be thinking...

...let's go for 10,000!

<insert Barny legend... ... ...ary gif here>
    LOL That's a champ's Thanksgiving right there!

I logged all the foods I plan on eating in just one sitting, not counting the reheating and snacking and whatnot later on. Without any desert or caloric beverages, I'm already looking at 1200 calories. I will probably end up somewhere between 2000-3500 calories for the day. And that's without even adding all the butter and extra deliciousness I used to add to everything(other than my turkey, that will be bathed in butter as is tradition in my house).
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I would be surprised if I ate less then 5,000 calories tomorrow.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    i'm Canadian, so we had ours already and i maxed out at approx 3500 and that was refusing seconds on ice cream. I totally enjoyed one piece of each pie going and everything else i could get at haha Don't regret one single second of it!!!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    I counted calories on Thanksgiving once. It was about 5000. I ate 3 pieces of pecan pie at 500 calories each. It was awesome.

:flowerforyou:

ETA to OP: challenge accepted!
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Consuming 4500 calories on Thanksgiving does not sound like a difficult task. At all.

:happy:
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Consuming 4500 calories on Thanksgiving does not sound like a difficult task. At all.

Challenge accepted :drinker: