Why Dieting is the Worst Way to Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ah, more gymrat/"nutrition" evangelism. Fail. :huh:

I lost weight through a calorie deficit, eating "dirty" food, with ZERO exercise, and I look amazing. So this author can take a flying leap. :smokin:

Okay, so you went on a 1,200 calorie diet. Now how will you maintain?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My opinion, not exercise. I am entitled to it just as those of you who feel that cleaning the house, raking leaves, shoveling snow, etc., are entitled to yours.

Are those things better than nothing at all, absolutely. Do you want to yell at me for not calling every kid who simply participates in a sport a "winner" too? Sometimes your efforts just are not good enough. Deal with it, that is life.

You are entitled to your opinion, yes.
    Even if it is wrong. And it is.

My approach is "good enough" for me. I am losing weight and inches and increasing my stamina, muscle size and strength doing it my way. It is most certainly good enough for me.

If it's not good enough for you, that's okay.

I have no desire to yell at you for anything. You are the one who expressed your opinion as to what *I* deem exercise and what's right or wrong.

Sometimes your efforts just make you look like someone who has a whole lot of growing up to do.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Rake leaves, mow the damn lawn, shovel snow, repair a fence, climb up on the roof and clean out the gutters... the list goes on and on.
    All great exercise.

Not exercises. Those are chores. Sure you may get a slight calorie burn doing them but let's not try to call them exercises.

Damn brah... Just about a few more months of yard work and house cleaning and I will be down to that shredded 10% bf brah. HAHA!!! Think about this for a minute people.... if all of the above were true then why are we as a nation the fattest (or near the top of that list)? I mean we all clean house, do yard work, ect so shouldn't the majority of us be at least at an ideal weight? Take construction workers... I know lots of those guys who are over weight and they do physical labor all damn day, so with the above thought process those guys should all be ripped as f***. Difference is a state of mind.

I see you quote Socrates on your profile.

Did Socrates even lift, brah?

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. - Socrates"

All I now is that one will never be able to get to their full potential of their bodies capabilities raking leaves, shoveling snow, or cleaning the gutters.... but if one is to believe that then I guess more power to them. :drinker:

Damn, brah.
    I don't doubt that's "all you now"

Did you read the thread title?
    Or the OP?
    Or the article?
    Or even my WHOLE POST THAT YOU QUOTED?

Not sure where that whole "to your full potential" came from, brah.

This ain't bb.com.

"Brah" was just a mockery of saying the racking leaves is thought of as exercise and will get you ripped. So if you are saying / thinking that one can reach ones full potential by racking leaves and moving lawns then have at it. :drinker:

sigh.
    I understand what you are saying.
    You don't understand what I am saying. Obviously.
    First of all, I don't "rack" leaves. I rake them.
    And I have no actual desire to get "ripped".
    This is "my fitness pal" and a "general diet and weight loss" forum.

I'm not even sure how to water this down any more.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

I lost weight through a calorie deficit, eating "dirty" food, with ZERO exercise, and I look amazing. So this author can take a flying leap. :smokin:

By being on a 1600 calorie limit. That's my TDEE at my age/height/weight. It's all just math. :drinker:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My opinion, not exercise. I am entitled to it just as those of you who feel that cleaning the house, raking leaves, shoveling snow, etc., are entitled to yours.

Are those things better than nothing at all, absolutely. Do you want to yell at me for not calling every kid who simply participates in a sport a "winner" too? Sometimes your efforts just are not good enough. Deal with it, that is life.

You've never really shoveled snow before, have you?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The only exercise Socrates ever did was lifting the cup of hemlock to his lips.

Quoting a dude who was so annoying his neighbours forced him to off himself is not really a sound debating strategy.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

By being on a 1600 calorie limit. That's my TDEE at my age/height/weight. It's all just math. :drinker:

Here come the diet police. "Freeze! Drop the 1600 calorie diet! Gimme 50 squats and a pec-flexed selfie! Just trying to protect you from yourself, ma'am."
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Ultimately, some people are too large to weight train. Cutting calories has to be done by everyone who's goal is to cut before they build muscle. While the article makes some strong points, there are people who are taking years off their life by eating too much food.

It doesn't seem that people are getting this. he/she said SOME people. not every person who has ever been overweight in the history of everdom. SOME people. not your aunt, your cousin, you specifically.. they mean the people who are so big they can't walk anymore, the people who can't fit in their car, the people like the mother in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Not someone who is considered obese by a doctor but lives a normal life. not someone who weighs 300-400 pounds and weight trains. if you are over weight and you still weight train, you OBVIOUSLY are not in the group he/she is referring to. how is this hard?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I live in a desert, sweet pea. What gave you that idea?

Saying shoveling snow isn't exercise was a tip off....
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Saying shoveling snow isn't exercise was a tip off....

:flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Shovelling snow is a hell of a workout.

Using an unmotorized push mower on an acre of grass is also a heck of a workout.

Anybody who feels otherwise is welcome to visit my acreage and try it for themselves.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    WonderSiansonea.jpg

This was me in '05. I weigh about the same now, maybe a bit less. Other than that, I don't look too different.

Now, quit lying. Everybody knows that's Wonder Woman. :bigsmile:
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Shovelling snow is a hell of a workout.

Using an unmotorized push mower on an acre of grass is also a heck of a workout.

Anybody who feels otherwise is welcome to visit my acreage and try it for themselves.

Thank you.
    Not to mention that I'm a 45 year old overweight woman. (almost NOT overweight now, though)

Edit: probably shouldn't have said that because it implies that women are not as physically capable of doing manual labor.
    The truth is, I am definitely less capable of doing manual labor than the brahs.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    It's been fun. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to climb the 13 floors of the hospital for the second time today and then head home for my workout. Might even get a third "workout" in and pick up dog crap. I don't know though, just might not have the time.

thanks for sharing.
    don't slip now.
    bless your heart.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    I use "diet" to mean "what I eat" and don't get confused by it, so I'm not going to start using the more verbose "nutrition program".

Other than that, I agree, with the caveat that "strength conditioning" does not need to mean "lifting heavy".

My grandpa rebuilt engines and got alllll the required physical activity from that. (plenty of lifting, pulling, and squatting going on).

Some people prefer yoga or calisthenics to traditional weight training, and that's okay. It's enough to maintain health and mobility.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Again, exercise is a physical activity that is done in order to become stronger and/or healthier. Walking to the freezer to get another pint of ice cream or shoveling snow, while physically demanding for some, still not exercise. One is done done because ice cream is fantastic and the other is done because they can't afford to winter in a warmer climate.

This is also what works for me. I am an active person with a desk job but I don't track the 8 minutes from the car to work, and vice versa, or vacuuming, or when I walk the block down to the mall during lunch, or when I decide to take a break and walk the office mail to the mailbox two blocks away. All those things, including housework and washing the car, are generally part of my daily activity.

I log the activities that I specifically do for exercise--which by the way was never introduced for weight loss but for the other health benefits, including keeping my body pain and stiffness under control--such as strength training, running, elliptical, spinning/stationary bike, brisk walking, and hiking. Al of these activities include getting my heartbeat up and sweating.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

MFP's activity database says I'd burn 453 calories an hour shoveling snow.

Why bother taking the stairs if it doesn't count as exercise? Seems like a 'chore', if it doesn't count, I mean.