Fast Food Workers Striking?!?!?

Options

Replies

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Every job worked at full time hours should pay a living wage.

This. A lot of CEO's learned how to be hard workers by working at fast food places. Anyone who does their work as the job demands deserves to be paid fairly.

Anyone can take a picture, so does that mean that the professionals who took time and money to study the art of photography and get their diploma in it shouldn't be paid more than someone with a point and shoot camera? They deserve to charge more for their services. Just because you personally have the ability to put fries in a box, doesn't mean that you would do it well or be able to handle the stress. (YES stress.. many friends worked at McDonald's and got yelled at and pushed around by managers and customers alike for things that were not their fault.)

Not only at fast food joints, but the retail industry can be extremely stressful.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Minimum wage should be raised so that it IS a living wage. The bare minimum a company is forced to pay their employees should be enough that they can live if they're working full time. I don't blame companies for taking advantage of a low minimum wage.
    Agreed.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's upset because he can't get his Big Mac because the people who make it actually want a fair wage is a tool.

THIS!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Something I'm amused about in this thread. The lack of logic. People working in fast food at minimum wage can't afford to even support themselves and their family. So what's the solution being suggested? Get an education. Yes, because people who can't afford to pay rent can certainly afford the thousands of dollars it takes to go to college.

tigerpalm.jpg
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

This. A lot of CEO's learned how to be hard workers by working at fast food places. Anyone who does their work as the job demands deserves to be paid fairly.

Anyone can take a picture, so does that mean that the professionals who took time and money to study the art of photography and get their diploma in it shouldn't be paid more than someone with a point and shoot camera? They deserve to charge more for their services. Just because you personally have the ability to put fries in a box, doesn't mean that you would do it well or be able to handle the stress. (YES stress.. many friends worked at McDonald's and got yelled at and pushed around by managers and customers alike for things that were not their fault.)

Not only at fast food joints, but the retail industry can be extremely stressful.

Oh I know. I work retail right now. Christmas time is the absolute WORST. People become such *kitten*.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone should be paid a decent wage for work, and even working in fast food is still work. Maybe not the ideal dream job that most of us have in mind.
    I worked at McDonalds while I was in high school. I made minimum wage, at the time it was just about $7.00.hr. It was enough to help me save up for a used car. I quit when I got a better job. I do believe I was paid fairly for the work I was doing. At that time however I lived at home with my parents and was able to save that money.
    I honestly don't know what minimum wage is in the USA. In Ontario, it's 10.25/hr.
    If the US starts paying $15/hr at fast food joints, then I'll start crying myself to sleep. I worked hard at school, have been to college twice, and still cannot find work that pays more than $13/hour. $15/hr is frankly too high for a fast food position. Or a retail position.
    I work a part time retail job, and a part time office job, and would LOVE to be paid more, but I know it's not going to happen anytime soon. If I decided I needed to make a higher wage, I would probably look for a more challenging job that pays more. Easier said than done, but that's just how it goes for the majority of us. Want more money, get better job. It sucks, but that's how it works.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Something I'm amused about in this thread. The lack of logic. People working in fast food at minimum wage can't afford to even support themselves and their family. So what's the solution being suggested? Get an education. Yes, because people who can't afford to pay rent can certainly afford the thousands of dollars it takes to go to college.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    And the solution ("Get an education") doesn't always work -- I got my MA and was flat unemployed for five months after that because I was either unqualified or overqualified for every. Single. Job. advertised within thirty miles of where I lived. Secretary? Fast food? Retail? Overqualified. Professor? Nuclear technician? Surgeon? Unqualified. There was NOTHING that anyone would hire me for, and I applied for ANYTHING that would pay me.

After five months I got a secretarial job by lying. I said I didn't have an MA. Bingo. Hired.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I disagree. I don't think minimum wage jobs are intended to support a family or even a person. They are typically for a second job in a household, or for kids to make spending cash or save up for school. No one ever thought you could live off of these jobs, include the ones that took the work in the first place, why all of a sudden should they expect that to change when circumstances surrounding the job are still the same.
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    This just in: https://www.facebook.com/Fightfor15
    While http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-EMT-l-Pittsburgh,-PA.html

So EMS workers in Pittsburg PA make on average $11.53/hour, but they DD workers want $15? What's wrong with this picture?

City of Pittsburgh Paramedics have a starting salary of $14.26/hour their first year on the job. After 5 years they earn $25.07/hour. The starting salary is much higher than what you claim to be the average. Some employees earn 6 figures a year after factoring in overtime.

Also Pittsburgh is spelled with an "h" at the end.

What's wrong with this picture is some people misrepresent facts.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

I disagree. I don't think minimum wage jobs are intended to support a family or even a person. They are typically for a second job in a household, or for kids to make spending cash or save up for school. No one ever thought you could live off of these jobs, include the ones that took the work in the first place, why all of a sudden should they expect that to change when circumstances surrounding the job are still the same.

No - they are, by logic, the most numerous jobs in any given organisation, ergo will employ all kinds of people in all kinds of situations.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    We all have similar opportunities in life.

Um yeah right.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Oh I know. I work retail right now. Christmas time is the absolute WORST. People become such *kitten*.

As someone who works replenishment at a craft store, I agree. I worked Black Friday and it was a chaotic and now me and the rest of the replenishment team are struggling to undo the damage that sh*thead customers did and keep doing. Is it THAT hard to put things back where you found them if you decide not to buy them? Seriously looks like a hurricane blew through the store!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Working fast food should be a stepping stone to getting a better job... not a career position. :bigsmile:

Yeah, because everyone has that choice in life. Not.

Everybody DOES have a choice. If you are working at McDonald's when you are 40, you made that choice. We all have similar opportunities in life. If a person decides to settle on a fast food service job, but can't seem to get ahead financially, should we just give them more without earning it?

I'm personally tired of putting in 50 to 60 hours a week to support my family and then be expected to pay out more for those that refuse to work or do the bare minimum. If you can't afford the latest and greatest gadgets on your current job, move on.
    You do realize that increasing minimum wages means that other wages increase because of it? You also realize that the REASON YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR OTHER PEOPLE is because the minimum wage isn't close to a fair living wage, and the government steps in to make up the difference? Higher minimum wage = less government assistance = YOU PAYING LESS MONEY.

Indeed. As a person with an education in Accounting with some consideration toward Economics, Finance, and general logic I don't understand how this is such a conclusional leap for people. Everyone's position is tied in with everyone elses, we are in a living economic community regardless of what your stance. I've seen people who are solely on GA and using every bit of assistance available to them, who make it their job to know the ins and outs of the system, live a better lifestyle than someone who is attempting independence from social services. Why is it such a stretch to realize that it benefits everyone to raise minimum wage so that those people making minimum wage, and working full time, are living above the poverty line. I also don't understand how it's illogical to make it a requirement that companies actually have a percentage of full time employees or full time equivalents with job sharing possible adding on benefit stypens instead of the majority of positions being full time equivalents with benefit avoidance.
  • erickirb
    Options

No - they are, by logic, the most numerous jobs in any given organisation, ergo will employ all kinds of people in all kinds of situations.

Yes they do, kids, students, second jobs, etc. I don't believe these jobs were created for adults that own a home and have a family in the first place.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Yes they do, kids, students, second jobs, etc. I don't believe these jobs were created for adults that own a home and have a family in the first place.
    They weren't created for anyone in particular. They were created to provide food to people the other side of the counter.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Then why could people support their families working full time minimum wage jobs in the 70s and 80s? Adjusting for inflation, minimum wage is over $2 an hour LESS than it was in 1978. Meanwhile, the cost of living has almost doubled.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Well the reality is NOW they are for people with families and houses. Thus, these jobs SHOULD have a living wage.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Working fast food should be a stepping stone to getting a better job... not a career position. :bigsmile:

Yeah, because everyone has that choice in life. Not.

Everybody DOES have a choice. If you are working at McDonald's when you are 40, you made that choice. We all have similar opportunities in life. If a person decides to settle on a fast food service job, but can't seem to get ahead financially, should we just give them more without earning it?

I'm personally tired of putting in 50 to 60 hours a week to support my family and then be expected to pay out more for those that refuse to work or do the bare minimum. If you can't afford the latest and greatest gadgets on your current job, move on.
    You do realize that increasing minimum wages means that other wages increase because of it? You also realize that the REASON YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR OTHER PEOPLE is because the minimum wage isn't close to a fair living wage, and the government steps in to make up the difference? Higher minimum wage = less government assistance = YOU PAYING LESS MONEY.

Indeed. As a person with an education in Accounting with some consideration toward Economics, Finance, and general logic I don't understand how this is such a conclusional leap for people. Everyone's position is tied in with everyone elses, we are in a living economic community regardless of what your stance. I've seen people who are solely on GA and using every bit of assistance available to them, who make it their job to know the ins and outs of the system, live a better lifestyle than someone who is attempting independence from social services. Why is it such a stretch to realize that it benefits everyone to raise minimum wage so that those people making minimum wage, and working full time, are living above the poverty line. I also don't understand how it's illogical to make it a requirement that companies actually have a percentage of full time employees or full time equivalents with job sharing possible adding on benefit stypens instead of the majority of positions being full time equivalents with benefit avoidance.

Increased minimum wage in this number of jobs will also drive inflation and the cost of everything will go up, meaning if the wages for the Non-min wage earners don't do up as fast they will actually lose purchasing power. Also with higher minimum wages these companies would have to either increase prices, or layoff workers and try to do the same amount of work with less people.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    OK, I just read through this whole thread and there are many points I agree with. I am just to lazy to quote them on my laptop. So here is my 2 cents:

Like I tell my teenage children, a job is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and to work for it. Minimum wage jobs in general, are for uneducated and younger workers. yes, sometimes older people have to work them to get by, but that isnt the companies fault. Why should someone with no education, no training and sometimes no ambition, be paid the same or more than someone who has tried to better themselves? It is all relative. If you want to pay a fast food worker $15/hr, then every job would have to be adjusted upward as well to compensate for education and experience. that is an unsustainable and ignorant idea.

If you want to make more, go to school, go in the military, try to move up at the company you are in. We all want to make more but a job is worth what it is worth. We are paying $500 month in student loans on for my wife who had to withdraw from nursing school and is working as a nurses aide for $11 an hour. I think she should make a lot more for the work she does. It is a $hitty job, pun intended. But that is what it pays. Someone flipping a burger should not make more than someone taking care of old sick people, or EMT's or any job that requires some amount of schooling or experience.

If you dont like what you are doing or what you are making, do something about it, but dont blame the employer. For all of you liberals that think capitolism and big companies are evil, wake up. Companies take the chance and are in business to make a profit. If you push wages up, you will only push unemployment up because businesses will close.

There is a HUGE difference between livable wage and having creature comforts. Why take risk, go in debt or work hard if everyone else gets it for nothing?

I could go on for hours on this but my rant is over for now.