Gym Snobbery - are you unashamedly guilty

Options

Replies

• dizzow
    dizzow Posts: 65
    Options
    What I'm reading here, sounds more like work-out snobbery than gym snobbery. People who take lifting weights more seriously and are into body building want somewhere that they can accomplish that without the judgment of noises in exertion or how they lift weights. I get that.
    People more like me, who are overweight, obese / morbidly obese just want somewhere that they can afford, get healthy / stay healthy and don't feel judged by those who have a higher level of fitness expectations. Maybe we will get to the above stated, and maybe we won't.
    What is snobbery is to think that someone else's fitness plans are worthless just because they don't match yours. Most likely, you go where like minded individuals go and have the equipment to accomplish that. No problem. Those that go to Planet Fitness go there for the same reasons.
    I go to Planet Fitness because it's what I can afford right now. It has the cardio equipment that I need, and enough wt. machines for me to tone up. I don't really like that they serve pizza and have tootsie rolls, it does seem counter productive, but I just don't eat them! I also like PF because there are lots of different kinds of people there, young, old, middle class, poorer, white, black, Hispanic, Asian -- and there are some old folks that go there that kick my butt in workouts. They inspire me!
    I've done the Y.. matter of fact, I can see it out my front door. I liked the Y, they have a track and classes etc., but I can't afford it right now and I don't like how extremely busy they are.
    If being serious means that I don't follow your guidelines then no, I'm not serious. If being serious means I consciously work out, increase my levels and watching what I eat, in order to lose weight and be healthier, then Yes, I am serious. Does it matter where we meet our goals as long as we meet them?
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I hate working out at a gym with attitude. If the people that work there have attitude or the people that go there have an attitude, I don't want to be there. Yes I go and I do my thing, don't need conversation, but people who are rude or snobby, don't want to deal.

We have a local bally's and I don't go there because I just don't like the attitude there anymore.
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home with my weights etc. I just go to the gym as a fun change of pace. If I would like to play a game of racketball or go swimming for instance. Once in a while I just go to a class with my friends. It is a treat place for me.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It needs to be clean, have multiple proper power racks and towel service.

Oh yeah hot babes. Gotta have hot babes.
  • pixelion
    pixelion Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what gym as long as facility and equipment are adequate and the staff is friendly and helpful.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm not a snob, I work out at real gyms or rec centers. As long as it has free weights of some kind, it can get a job done. But as others have said, I'd strongly prefer a squat/power rack at least.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ...I was slightly joking about the biting my head off. Some people get offended when you question their opinion or ask them to explain. ...

Since your post regarding biting heads off was in response to my post, I need to ask: what made it seem like I was biting your head off? You asked a question, I answered. I didn't think there was anything rude in there.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My schedule has me traveling 50-75% of the month. I've been at my office every workday for the last 2 weeks and that's the longest that's happened since April (I'm back on the road tomorrow tho).

Having locations all over the country that offer reciprocal membership is the biggest bonus a gym could offer me.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yay for people signing up gyms that AREN'T mine because the less people competing for the squat rack, the better. Is that a choice?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a Planet Fitness even if I would never go there.

Yeah. I like the idea of cheap with lots of locations. But I grunt when I lift and would probably lose it if someone lunk alarmed me.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm a gym snob. I work out at a rec centre, on the track. There's just some free weights up there, as well as BOSU's, medicine balls and some other things. I make do with what's there or just do body weight exercises. I do my heavier lifting at my trainer's gym.

I like group classes though, so I may be switching to a new gym that's opening up in the spring as the rec centre doesn't have enough available at times I can go to.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    Yeah. I like the idea of cheap with lots of locations. But I grunt when I lift and would probably lose it if someone lunk alarmed me.
    Every Planet Fitness seems to be different in what their "lunk alarm" goes off for. I've never attended one, but my good friend uses one and loves it and after going there for two years she has never heard it go off. She also said that people grunt all the time, hers also has an area specific for crossfit and tons of free weights.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    If it is planet fitness I can't help but think you aren't serious about working out.

I have that same gut reaction.

Are you all aware that Planet Fitness locations are independently owned and operated? Meaning not all are the same.

I go there because that is simply what I can afford, not because I am not serious about my routine.. I see 'meatheads' doing deadlifts in there everyday. They have more free weights than any other local gym and very muscular people are the majority there.

IN the past 12 months, I have only heard the lunk alarm ONE time that at was set off because of some lady who comes in and breaks the weight machines all the time and lets the weights crash down. No one has ever said a thing to anyone using free weights.
    Although I don't go to Planet Fitness - I'm glad when I see these things being posted because I *have* visited a few different locations to see what they're all about and the ones I've visited have all been vastly different from each other. One didn't do the whole bagel morning/pizza night thing, one has a huge area for crossfit workouts, and the one that is opening here where I am is also going to have a crossfit area and the majority of the people who have currently signed up are marines because I am next to a large marine base. Every one I have seen has indeed had people doing deadlifts, squats, etc with nothing being sad. Yes, some are like that -- but I have yet to see one with my own eyes that has all these downfalls that most mention. Except the pizza/bagel thing -- most of them have had that but I think that it's just a matter of choosing to avoid.

EDIT: Personally chose my gym because of it being locally owned, having two pools (one indoor, one outdoor), a sauna, and all the machines I love to use if/when I use machines.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Cheap

Free weights

Not hugely crowded

Squat rack

I'm happy.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    If it is planet fitness I can't help but think you aren't serious about working out.

Are you all aware that Planet Fitness locations are independently owned and operated? Meaning not all are the same.

I go there because that is simply what I can afford, not because I am not serious about my routine.. I see 'meatheads' doing deadlifts in there everyday. They have more free weights than any other local gym and very muscular people are the majority there.

IN the past 12 months, I have only heard the lunk alarm ONE time that at was set off because of some lady who comes in and breaks the weight machines all the time and lets the weights crash down. No one has ever said a thing to anyone using free weights.
    Although I don't go to Planet Fitness - I'm glad when I see these things being posted because I *have* visited a few different locations to see what they're all about and the ones I've visited have all been vastly different from each other. One didn't do the whole bagel morning/pizza night thing, one has a huge area for crossfit workouts, and the one that is opening here where I am is also going to have a crossfit area and the majority of the people who have currently signed up are marines because I am next to a large marine base. Every one I have seen has indeed had people doing deadlifts, squats, etc with nothing being sad. Yes, some are like that -- but I have yet to see one with my own eyes that has all these downfalls that most mention. Except the pizza/bagel thing -- most of them have had that but I think that it's just a matter of choosing to avoid.

EDIT: Personally chose my gym because of it being locally owned, having two pools (one indoor, one outdoor), a sauna, and all the machines I love to use if/when I use machines.

Planet Fitness is horrible. I've only put on 35 of the good pounds in four years going there. :laugh:

And yep, there are some BIG dudes working out at the locations I frequent. And some very ripped ladies, too. It isn't perfect at all, but to say someone can't get results there is foolish.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Planet fitness sucks
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. I do think there are people there, not all of them, who look down on the overweight people because they don't have good bodies like them, when actually, they should think 'Well done to them for actually coming here and doing something to change their body'.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Unless you live in Fairbanks and it's the only gym that doesn't cost 175 per month. (They have ONE health club that is outrageously expensive and a planet fitness and a 24 hour fitness that is even smaller then planet fitness...) Sometimes you take what you can get.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I wanted something close that had the equipment I require to workout (free weights, freedom to dead lift and a power cage) and wasn't too expensive. Our tiny little gym in our small town fits that criteria and is 5 minutes from my house so that's where I joined. I could have driven 25 minutes or more to bigger, fancier gyms but since this one has what I need and is close enough that I'll actually go why pay for more bells and whistles that I won't use?
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I'm a gym snob.

No Power cage no squat rack- no visit.

I can't be bothered.

No dead lifting? GTFO.

The more "meat head" of a gym it is- the happier I'll be.
    +1

I also need to have a heavy bag to punch.